Notices
Formula

Cockpit cover snap replacement

Old 02-13-2008, 10:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cockpit cover snap replacement

Hi Gents,

Been a long time. Just started visiting OSO again here recently.

I need to replace a couple of the snaps on the 382 right in front of the windshield. The snap doesn't seem to have any ridge left on it and so the cover unsnaps easily from the wind going over it.

Anyone know the best way to remove the old snap and to put a new one in? It almost looks like it is some sort of rivet holding it in, but I can't tell.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Garrett
Old 02-14-2008, 06:27 AM
Burnin' Love
Gold Member

It should be an 1/8 inch rivet. Just take an 1/8 inch drill bit, stick it inthe center of the rivet head, and drill it out. You shouldn't have to drill too deep, so be careful. the rivet head will probably crawl up the bit,at that point you should be able to remove the snap and the shaft of the rivet. Replace the snap and re-rivet, with a rivet gun, to the windshield frame. You will want to use an aluminum or stainless steel rivet.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:18 AM
Registered

Quite a few of my snaps are loose. I notice some are riveted, some are screwed in. Just throwing the idea that a screw is a decent alternative. I expect all of mine will need to be screwed in eventually due to the holes opening up.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Registered

Thanks guys!

I just checked www.mcmastercarr.com and they have all types of snaps including snaps with blind rivet attach which look like what is probably on the boat now.

You can find the right page on their catalog by searching for "snaps" and then selecting "button snaps" on the left hand side.

Last edited by FormulaM2Formula; 02-14-2008 at 10:26 AM. Reason: added web site info for snaps
Old 02-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be careful drilling riveted snaps. They are notorious for spinning and damaging whatever they are attached to. Use some pliers, needlenose, small vice-grips, etc. to get a hold of the rivet. Use a cushion like a small piece of soft wood under the pliers so you can use the pliers like a lever to pull up on the rivet while you drill it. It shouldn't spin and should drill out fairly quickly, thereby keeping heat input to a minimum. This is especially important on fiberglass, your windshield frame is not so susceptible to heat damage but the spinning rivet can chew things up.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:54 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ThirdBird
Be careful drilling riveted snaps. They are notorious for spinning and damaging whatever they are attached to. Use some pliers, needlenose, small vice-grips, etc. to get a hold of the rivet. Use a cushion like a small piece of soft wood under the pliers so you can use the pliers like a lever to pull up on the rivet while you drill it. It shouldn't spin and should drill out fairly quickly, thereby keeping heat input to a minimum. This is especially important on fiberglass, your windshield frame is not so susceptible to heat damage but the spinning rivet can chew things up.

Well put Dave,

I ran into this last spring and one of the snaps was a royal pain in the azz to get out. I was with the local canvas guy when this happened .... luckily we got it .... I will tell you they get freak'in hot so becareful as well when drilling and handling them.
We looked at both types of stainless snaps .... rivet type and the screw type. I went with the screw type for the simple reason every once and awhile I check them and give them a little turn to snug them up ..... you can't do this with a rivet .... secondly I don't have to go through the bull chit of drilling them out again .... simple power screwgun and your in business in half the time moving forward. Plus if the hole gets bigger put a bigger screw in.
The stainless cost more but the last a hell of alot longer. I am just replacing mine and it is a 20 year old boat.

Good luck ....

Jeff
Old 02-14-2008, 08:08 PM
Registered

I didn't think about this at first, but some of you guys have snaps on the windshield frame right? All of mine are in the fiberglass for what that's worth.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by handfulz28
I didn't think about this at first, but some of you guys have snaps on the windshield frame right? All of mine are in the fiberglass for what that's worth.
Mine are in the fiberglass as well ..... if you have a bimini top with an enclosure you will have the on the windshield as well.

Jeff
Old 02-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by got twins ?
Mine are in the fiberglass as well ..... if you have a bimini top with an enclosure you will have the on the windshield as well.

Jeff
'Zactly.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Registered

Thanks again!

Mine are all on the fiberglass as well. I think I'll buy a few of the screw in and some of the rivet ones and decide after I remove the old snap.

If it quits raining here in Phoenix, I'm going to take the boat out on Sunday.

G.

Quick Reply: Cockpit cover snap replacement

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.