silent thunder again

Notices
Formula

silent thunder again

Old 04-27-2008, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default silent thunder again

I am currently trying to take off the silent thunder and all bolts are out but wont seperate from platform. Any suggestions? Also anybody take off theirs and not put mufflers on? How much louder will it be? Thanks Mark
Old 04-27-2008, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You mean it won't separate from the transom, right? It'll be stuck sometimes. One of my Formulas had a gop of adhesive between the board and the transon. It was like 3M 5000 or something. Not supposed to be there but it was. Took alot of gentle prying and fiddling to get it loose.

You should have two people and one can go all around the platform looking for where it's hung up. Sometimes it just the gaskets sealing it on. When it comes loose, it'll come down in a hurry, fairly heavy but mostly just bulky to handle.

Formula didn't glue these platforms on. If it's stuck with glue, someone before (not Formula) did that. Check it out real close before you just yank it off.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Registered

Its actually stuck to the bottom of the the swim platform. Can't get it loose enough to see how its attached to the transom.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seems like there should be some bolts under the swim platform close to the rub rail? Yes i did that on my 382 without mufflers till i got a ticket
Old 04-27-2008, 04:54 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 122 Likes on 63 Posts

What year boat? I assume this is the silent thunder box that is UNDER the platform but not the entire platform.....Mine was held by 4 bolts but once out it still wouldn't come off. The platform gets wedged under a lip at the rear of the platform. Start on one side with a screw driver and CAREFULLY pry the silent thunder box down...be careful cause at this point that friction is the only thing holding it one, once it comes loose be prepared to "catch" it.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ninetym
Its actually stuck to the bottom of the the swim platform. Can't get it loose enough to see how its attached to the transom.
Oh, I thought it was the older style box.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:39 PM
Registered

Its a 95. I loosened all the bolts and started to pry like you guys said but it doesnt want to come off. Are there any ohter fastners other than the one under the rub rail. I really not looking for it to be louder just want to get rid of the box. But I also dont necesaryly want to put mufflers on it. How much louder will it be? Dont really have any issues with noise tickets where I boat. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Registered

it will be louder,if no noise issues your set, you'll like it if not then put some mufflers on. mine are loud thru mufflers but acceptable i just crank the stereo
Old 04-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Registered

I'm assuming you also took the bolts on the swim platform off,

if so it is probably catching on the lip from the rubrail. You have to pry the platform out from the back and get it to drop, then it will slide off of the exhaust tips, as it its sliding off of the exhaust tips let that pos drop to the ground so it breaks in a million pieces, this will ensure that you never have any ideas about putting it back on again.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Registered

I would like to hear how one sounds without the box before I decide if I want to get rid of mine. I like the quiet hum my 292 has with it on. I'm also a fan of the oval and rectangular exhaust tips. I have the switchable exhaust as well so if I wanted to quiet it down, I have that option.

Quick Reply: silent thunder again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.