Formula air horns

Notices
Formula

Formula air horns

Old 04-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Formula air horns

Last year my air horn stopped working so I took it to the dealer and they fixed it ( was still under warranty)this year it was not working again so I took it apart was shocked to find it all corroded inside and seized.Disassembled it cleaned everything dumped some air tool oil in there and its fine now.Will probably remove from the boat before I put away next year wondering if any one else is having this problem
Old 04-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes,common problem,the membrane(diaphram) inside gets corroded or dirty and will not vibrate to make the sound. You are on the right track cleaning it. Also,the horn is covered by the 5 year Formulaguard warranty. But at $25 deductable,it may be cheaper to clean it yourself.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Magicfloat
Yes,common problem,the membrane(diaphram) inside gets corroded or dirty and will not vibrate to make the sound. You are on the right track cleaning it. Also,the horn is covered by the 5 year Formulaguard warranty. But at $25 deductable,it may be cheaper to clean it yourself.
Did not know that was still covered but it took less time to fix than to take to dealer but good to know.It was not the horn itself was the air motor that is turned by the electric motor it looked very much like the inside of a air tool Thanks
Old 04-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
Did not know that was still covered but it took less time to fix than to take to dealer but good to know.It was not the horn itself was the air motor that is turned by the electric motor it looked very much like the inside of a air tool Thanks
How did you get to that little air compressor? The Formula owners manual states to oil it with light oil on a yearly basis, but I could not get to it. It is behind the wall in the gunnel next to the back seat, but the wall is not removable. I ended up disconnecting the clear hose from the horn and putting sever drops down the hose hoping it would get to the air compressor.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Registered

Expensive do you keep your's on the lift all winter? The salty air will works wonders. My father keeps his 31 down there too, and has never had a problem. Tested mine out and it worked fine, loud & clear. I believe the newer models like yours, they are hidden in the intake vent, correct? Mine is located right next the the helm.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4mulafastech
How did you get to that little air compressor? The Formula owners manual states to oil it with light oil on a yearly basis, but I could not get to it. It is behind the wall in the gunnel next to the back seat, but the wall is not removable. I ended up disconnecting the clear hose from the horn and putting sever drops down the hose hoping it would get to the air compressor.
It is removable take the two screws out just under rear seat it is also fastened with foam but if you push on it it will come free.What you did will work as long as you don't use it for a day or to as it will run into the air motor thru the exhaust port
Old 04-28-2008, 05:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Splitdecision271
Expensive do you keep your's on the lift all winter? The salty air will works wonders. My father keeps his 31 down there too, and has never had a problem. Tested mine out and it worked fine, loud & clear. I believe the newer models like yours, they are hidden in the intake vent, correct? Mine is located right next the the helm.
No don't keep it on the lift all winter,and correct they are below the air intake but I don't believe the side gunwale is open to the vent
Old 04-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
It is removable take the two screws out just under rear seat it is also fastened with foam but if you push on it it will come free.What you did will work as long as you don't use it for a day or to as it will run into the air motor thru the exhaust port
Thanks! I will check that out.