Formula

Volvo Penta 525/DPX-A v-belts vs. sea water pump

Old 05-14-2008, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo Penta 525/DPX-A v-belts vs. sea water pump

2 Questions....

1) V-belt P/N's -

The Gates p/n would be ideal....I can go to the auto parts store and get the identical replacement. The VP dealers have had some difficulty in identifying the parts I need and even the number of belts I need.

There are 3 belts....two from the crankshaft to the alternator, and one from the crankshaft to the power steering pump. I don't recall which ones are routed around the sea water pump.

2) Seawater Pump connections -

I went to change the v-belts on my engine this past weekend and was stopped by the connections to my sea water pump.

Two must be inlet/outlet hoses. These, I can access quite easily by loosening the hose clamps.

A third I can only feel with my hand since it is on the starboard side of the pump and otherwise blocked from my view since I have the best access from the port side of the engine. I cannot see any of the pump/connections from the port side of the engine.

This third connection is rigid tubing fastened, I think, only with a small bolt. I could get a socket on it easy enough, but reassembling blind concerns me without understanding what I have my hands on. Maybe this is a pressure relief outlet?

Is the bolt the only thing I need to remove? I can find the pump on Volvo's site, but not what connects to it. Its the smaller diameter connection in the diagram below. My pump is oriented 180 degrees from the one in the diagram.

BTW...I think it is interesting how unfamiliar most Volvo Penta service centers are completely unfamiliar with the 500/525, 600 engines. On multiple occasions, when I try to tell them what engine I have, they insist it's something else.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:55 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I converted my 600's over to a serpentine setup, so I have two used sets (original, 400 hours, good shape) and one unused set of belts. Alternator (2): Dayco #15450 , P/S pump (1): Dayco #15550. I paid $28.87 for the new set. They're yours for that price, including shipping, or take all three sets for $50.00.

The steel tube on the right side is the reaction bracket that keeps the sea pump from spinning. There are two 7/16" bolts (5/8" wrench size) that hold it on to the front of the engine behind the inlet hose to the (circulating, not sea water) pump, but you only need to loosen the top bolt a couple of flats and completely remove the bottom bolt. Also remove the 5/16" (1/2" wrench size) bolt that holds the nylon spacer on the pump and the spacer. Then, you can wiggle the reaction bracket out of the way to change the belts. (See left photo.)

I have 3 used Jabsco raw water pumps, plus extra bearings and seals for sale if you're interested. (The pumps are pretty easy to service if you lose a seal and/or the bearing.) I changed over to a newer 2-bearing style when I did my serpentine conversion. If you ever go to change a raw water pump, you will need a 5/16" ball-drive ("Bondhus") allen wrench to remove the 3 bolts that hold it (and the crank pulley) on the engine. Changing an impeller is super-easy. (Check yours, by the way! If it's damaged, you will most likely find the missing pieces in the front side of the fuel cooler on the lower right side of the engine. Just pull off the other end of the hose from the sea pump, and you should be able to dig any pieces out with your fingers. You can see the cooler in the lower left corner of the photos.)

The 500/525/600 packages were offered for 2 years in 2000/2001, so they are rare birds. In most cases, you are best off calling Innovation Marine (the high-performance shop that built them for Volvo) at (941) 355-7852 and ask for Dave Stiff. Tell him that Chuck Sprague referred you to him. Great guy.
Attached Thumbnails Volvo Penta 525/DPX-A v-belts vs. sea water pump-reactionbracket.jpg   Volvo Penta 525/DPX-A v-belts vs. sea water pump-reactionbracketnewb-small-.jpg  

Last edited by C_Spray; 05-14-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent....thank you!

I'll take the new set. Let me know how you'd like to arrange payment / shipping. Private message ok?
Old 05-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Try email: C_Spray at msn dot com.

C'mon - At least make an offer on the used belts and pumps!

...And you need to post some shots of your boat....

Last edited by C_Spray; 05-14-2008 at 02:26 PM.