Notices
Formula

Shore power breaker size

Old 05-21-2008, 08:25 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shore power breaker size

Customer with 07 330SS has never plugged in her shorepower. She had a weak battery issue and I suggested plug in shorepower and leave battery charger on. Went by today,she just had a standard 110 outlet,boathouse is wired for lights,fridge,hydrohoist motor,etc.Plugged in an adaptor for regular 3 prong outlet to Marinco shorepower cord,promptly blew boathouse breaker. I am guessing no boat problem,just too small a breaker in her boathouse wiring. What is minimum breaker size? I think my boathouse wiring is 50 amp.never had a problem,have a 370 plugged in now.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Magicfloat
Customer with 07 330SS has never plugged in her shorepower. She had a weak battery issue and I suggested plug in shorepower and leave battery charger on. Went by today,she just had a standard 110 outlet,boathouse is wired for lights,fridge,hydrohoist motor,etc.Plugged in an adaptor for regular 3 prong outlet to Marinco shorepower cord,promptly blew boathouse breaker. I am guessing no boat problem,just too small a breaker in her boathouse wiring. What is minimum breaker size? I think my boathouse wiring is 50 amp.never had a problem,have a 370 plugged in now.

30 amp should be plenty. My camper is 30 amp and I can plug it into my garage or shop with an adapter with no problems. Now, m y parents coach is 50 amp and I can plug it into my shop or garage and only have one air conditioner on, the second unit needs the 50 amps.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:33 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 125 Likes on 64 Posts

We have 30 amp service to our dock. I split the line to have 2 30 amp plugs for bigger cruisers that use twin 30's and never had a problem........but nothing else was running off those lines at the time. Is the run short enough to run an extension cord from the house out to the dock???
Old 05-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

No.long way down. She has a commercial beer cooler,lights,lift motor, tv,etc. When I plugged in the shore power,only the beer cooler was running. When the breaker tripped, I reset it,waited a few minutes,plugged in shorepwer,and after a few seconds,it tripped again. Not sure what size breaker she has .

Last edited by Magicfloat; 05-21-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:42 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you make sure that all the other 110v systems were off on the boat? If the batteries are dead or very low, the charger will definitely pull a pretty strong load, but it shouldn't be more than 5 to 10 (AC) amps.

Maybe she'll have to turn the beer cooler off and ice down the beer for a day.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:03 AM

I think something is off...I can plug my camper in at home off of a 110 outlet and run the air, refer, lights, micro...ect, without tripping anything. I will check the fuse and get back to ya later on the size of it.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:47 AM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

It is the ProMariner galvanic protector they use on newer models. It will trip a class A GFI breaker thatl trips at 4 milliamps,needs a class B that trips at 10 milliamps. This is direct from TAG.Always amazed at their knowledge and quick responces.

Last edited by Magicfloat; 05-22-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

A standard 110 household style outlet should never be allowed to pull more than 20 amps, and most of them are breakered at 15 amps. The shorepower circuit is a 30 amp circuit on the boat, but obviously if you are only running a few items, the draw is much less, and even with most stuff on, you rarely will pull more than 10 amps. The charger (if it is a 30 amp charger) by itself shouldn't pull more than 3 amps at full charge. Fridge is usually around 2 amps. A/C is closer to 8 or 9 amps.

Also, if you try to plug in the shorepower cord (with household style adaptor) with the boat breaker "on", you have to make sure the ground post goes in before the "juice" lugs connect, else your boat main breaker will trip (because it will ground fault). This isn't a prob when using the twist lock 30 amp connectors because the ground ALWAYS connects first when you plug em up.

mc
Old 05-22-2008, 01:03 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Thanks,mc. That is good info. I didn't know that about the ground post.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Ours are all 30 amp at the dock. I think the boat specs call for 30 amp too, but not sure.

Quick Reply: Shore power breaker size

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.