303 SR1 owners please chime in!

Notices
Formula

303 SR1 owners please chime in!

Old 06-17-2008, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 303 SR1 owners please chime in!

I have been looking for a boat and have found a VERY nice '92 Formula 303 SR1. The owner is the original, the boat has lived in it's own custom 30' climate controlled garage it's entire life, it sits on a 1995 Eagle tandem axle trailer. The boat has been used on a quiet fresh water lake it's entire life, it currently has 265hrs. Motors are the original 365hp carbed 454s (that have been massaged), and original Bravo 1s. Boat has factory installed GPS. Owner has been meticulous with maintenance since new, Mobile1, fresh plugs every season, etc. etc. Ad ons include; Barry Grant carbs with spacers, Barry Grant fuel pumps, Gil exhaust, MSD ignition, Mercury labbed 4-blades, Imco external hydraulic steering, and throttle mounted drive trim control. Boat is SUPER clean! Exterior/interior is flawless. I have been on two trial rides, the boat fires instantly and runs creamy smooth......no drama, zero vibration, and tight as a drum.

I guess my questions are; is there anything specific I should be looking for on this model boat in particular? Did the 303 have any specific weakness? Is there any reason one would try to talk me out of a 303? Lastly, what would be a fair price based on year/hours/fresh water use/original owner/etc.??? I need to stress how ridiculously cherry this boat is......it looks like a museum piece. I am extremely critical, and this boat left me speechless with how perfect it was.

Comments and insight greatly appreciated!!!!!! Thanks.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BowenCT
I have been looking for a boat and have found a VERY nice '92 Formula 303 SR1. The owner is the original, the boat has lived in it's own custom 30' climate controlled garage it's entire life, it sits on a 1995 Eagle tandem axle trailer. The boat has been used on a quiet fresh water lake it's entire life, it currently has 265hrs. Motors are the original 365hp carbed 454s (that have been massaged), and original Bravo 1s. Boat has factory installed GPS. Owner has been meticulous with maintenance since new, Mobile1, fresh plugs every season, etc. etc. Ad ons include; Barry Grant carbs with spacers, Barry Grant fuel pumps, Gil exhaust, MSD ignition, Mercury labbed 4-blades, Imco external hydraulic steering, and throttle mounted drive trim control. Boat is SUPER clean! Exterior/interior is flawless. I have been on two trial rides, the boat fires instantly and runs creamy smooth......no drama, zero vibration, and tight as a drum.

I guess my questions are; is there anything specific I should be looking for on this model boat in particular? Did the 303 have any specific weakness? Is there any reason one would try to talk me out of a 303? Lastly, what would be a fair price based on year/hours/fresh water use/original owner/etc.??? I need to stress how ridiculously cherry this boat is......it looks like a museum piece. I am extremely critical, and this boat left me speechless with how perfect it was.

Comments and insight greatly appreciated!!!!!! Thanks.
BowenCT,

Sounds like a great boat ..... A good friend of mine had that same set up as this one you are looking at before he moved up to a 382.
He to this day still says the 303 was the best and the most dependable boat he ever had.
The only draw back was depending what you are looking for and where you want to use it.
Small cabin ...... and it really isn't a "BIG WATER" boat ......
It will get thrown around a bit.
That being said ...... easy to trailer and easy to manoeuver .... even with one person.

Good luck !!!!

Jeff
Old 06-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe Axapowell will chime in here. He had a 303 also, liked it very much. Moved up to a 353. If I remember right, he was doing low 70s with stock power. They are nice boats. There are no particular or specific issue I know of with that model.

Even though it's cherry and has a few mods, I don't think anything over 45k can be asked for that boat. If it's as nice as you say, (which of course it must be), buy it. Got any pics?
Old 06-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ThirdBird
I don't think anything over 45k can be asked for that boat. If it's as nice as you say, (which of course it must be), buy it. Got any pics?
I concur.

Around 40 would seem the ideal place to be.

Last edited by Rippem; 06-17-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:43 PM
Registered

Here are some pics:

*I tried posting the actual photos, not sure why only the links came up.....?

Last edited by BowenCT; 06-17-2008 at 09:09 PM. Reason: links?
Old 06-17-2008, 08:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by got twins ?
BowenCT,

and it really isn't a "BIG WATER" boat ......
It will get thrown around a bit.

Jeff
Really???????
Old 06-17-2008, 10:13 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 88242LS
Really???????
If my memory serves me right it is only a 28'-29' boat.
I realize I could be opening a can of worms here but I think that is right.
It was quick .... like Bird said .... early 70s for mph no problem.

The pictures look good ...... not my choice for colours but I am not buying the boat. I think the boat looks great other than that.

Jeff
Old 06-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Where To
VIP Member

I owned a 1993 303 for 3 years and never had any problems. When it sold, it had 630 hours on stock 502mag carbed engines. Great boat, handled like a 35 footer and not too bad in the big stuff. We just needed more cabin room...and a little more speed. With labbed props, it would run 72 GPS anyday of the week with or without gear.

Good luck! PM me if you have any questions!

Dave
Old 06-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Where To
VIP Member

Here is one of mine!

Dave
Attached Thumbnails 303 SR1 owners please chime in!-onwater-2-.jpg  
Old 06-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

I believe it is that clean. you can see the dash shining from the stern, and that engine room/parts are pretty tidy!

seems like a nice find!
Those Mags will run forever!

Quick Reply: 303 SR1 owners please chime in!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.