1988 242LS Speed Help >

1988 242LS Speed Help

Notices
Formula

1988 242LS Speed Help

Old 07-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like your may be trimmed up to much . maybe your trim sensors need adjusted . trimmed down may not be down as far as you think .
Old 07-13-2009, 11:33 AM
Registered

My thoughts exactly, but I checked it and when I power up to plane the drive is all the way down and I had it down most of the day because of the results I was having.

The increased speed at lower RPM was great, but coming out of the hole where the RPMS climb normal and they skip to 4,000 and then back down on the prop grabs was not right in my mind. Also the 3,000 RPM giving me 35 mph or 25 mph I didnt like. All around it felt like slipping everywhere and I was coving the steering wheel because the boat seems very unstead now when before it was a rock.

Any more thoughts or experiances with this.

This was also a test propr which the dealer gave me and instead of being one piece having metal spines that go onto the shaft like the mirage it had some plasic guts and then a piece that went in to hold onto the shaft. Again it seemed different to me.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by oreokid220
My thoughts exactly, but I checked it and when I power up to plane the drive is all the way down and I had it down most of the day because of the results I was having.

The increased speed at lower RPM was great, but coming out of the hole where the RPMS climb normal and they skip to 4,000 and then back down on the prop grabs was not right in my mind. Also the 3,000 RPM giving me 35 mph or 25 mph I didnt like. All around it felt like slipping everywhere and I was coving the steering wheel because the boat seems very unstead now when before it was a rock.

Any more thoughts or experiances with this.

This was also a test propr which the dealer gave me and instead of being one piece having metal spines that go onto the shaft like the mirage it had some plasic guts and then a piece that went in to hold onto the shaft. Again it seemed different to me.
Itr sounds like it is lifting the stern too much, I would stick with a 3 blade plus for best top end and handling, you will get more cruise with a 4 blade but less top end, you need a bow lifting prop in that hull, not a stern lifting prop...my opinion..
Old 07-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Registered

I agree it does feel like that. I do like the fast running at lower RPM so how can I get that? Should I try a 23p Mirage three blade?
Old 07-13-2009, 07:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by oreokid220
I agree it does feel like that. I do like the fast running at lower RPM so how can I get that? Should I try a 23p Mirage three blade?
MAybe but the higher pitch at lower rpm will take you out of peak power meaning slower speeds, I am going to bet that a 3 blad Mirage Plus 21P will be the best prop.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Registered

My thought was that i could over spin the 21 right now meaning I could go well over my redline if i wanted so I thought a taller pitched prop would backthe RPMs down to where I could not overprin the prop n the water.

Is this the wrong way to look at this?

Mercury prop selector keeps telling me to go with a revolution four blade 24 pitchI believe but honestly im worries abou the stern being to high again.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Registered

seems here in my area 4 blade bravos are favored . i can trim mine up pretty much as far as i want until i start getting chine walk around 74-75 mph and i never seem to blow through the prop at any rpm range . running a three blade on other boats i could alway trim up to the point it lost efficentcy. just my two cents
Old 07-14-2009, 01:08 PM
Registered

so here is the question, what is the slipping? i will be at idle in gear and then i will throttle up and the boat will grab nicely and then at around 3000 rpm the revs will jump to 4000 instantly (right before i plane) and catch and then the boat will speed up while the revs drop back down the 3000 and i will be cruising at 35. 0 trim and 0 tabs.
other times i will slow down and when I go to speed up alittle the boat will not gain speed unless i really get on it. it is alsmost as if there is a point where the hull sits a certain way it will get too much air in the water and it looses grip.

i dont know, somebody help. all i do know is the 21 feels like a pig to the 22 when it is running correctly.

What do you think is happening?
Old 07-16-2009, 09:50 PM
Registered

Any thoughts guys?
Old 07-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Registered

I have a 1990 242ls with a 650 h.p. 496 and I run a 27p plus three blade i'm running 75mph gps at @ 5200rpm I have had my boat act similar to what you have described but it was only when i was in a sharp turn with a fairly good wake I just assumed the outdrive just came out of the water if you find out any other info why this handeling problem occurs let me know. good luck with the prop.

Quick Reply: 1988 242LS Speed Help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.