Silent Thunder Exhaust >

Silent Thunder Exhaust

Notices
Formula

Silent Thunder Exhaust

Old 03-19-2002, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hotwater, I've run the boat both ways, with and without the Silent Thunder.

What I ended up doing to address the noise issue was to cut four 4 1/2 inch holes in the back half. on the bottom of the Silent Thunder box. Makes it a little louder but keeps you from getting hassled by the noise police.

The other thing it does is relieve the back pressure in the box. Mine was actually starting to break apart from the pressure, and would rattle. I think I remember Phanthom Chaos also having a problem with the box on his 312 coming apart.

As far as replacing the Tips, you do not have to replace them, the ones that are on the boat will work fine.

Performance wise I did'nt notice any difference without the box as compared to with the box, even before I put the holes in the bottom of the Silent Thunder.
Old 03-19-2002, 10:44 PM
Charter Member # 1083
Charter Member

I took mine off because it rattled from the fiberglass broken out at the sides. I don't think that there is a magical horsepower number that dictates when it happens. I have stock 502 Mags with the plugs removed from the platform and still had it blow out.

If you just need to fix your "seals", it's just a material similar to foam door caulking. You can find it at any hardware store.

Now that I have ran without it, I don't know why I didn't do it a long time ago. The tips that come stock (93 303SR1) are cast pieces and not Stainless steel. They sound much better than the S.S. I added the internal flappers and external flappers just to be on the safe side.

Bottom line is: I think it sounds great and it's not as loud as a regular boat with Stainless tips.

If you do remove it, you need to back out the screws that hold on the rub rail. Use a wide blade putty knife to pry it loose, and take your time. Drop the back loose first and let the tips hold the front. get a friend to help you. It is HEAVY.

I can't believe that removing that much weight didn't make much difference but, I'm sure it all adds up.

Good luck,
Bob
Old 03-20-2002, 01:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

I'd like specs on the platform mods too. I've noticed the twin 930hp 311 in the classifieds is running the Silent Thunder platform still. I'm going to be adding my prochargers sometime soon (if not real soon it may be this fall) and I will be taking the platform off (adding imco boxes) so mods can be done then.

[email protected]
Old 03-20-2002, 10:00 AM
Registered

Keep one thing in mind, the silent thunder boxes are different on 311's as compared to later model boats like the 303's,336's and 353's. The older model boats the box is part of the platform, newer models it's a seperate unit.
Old 03-20-2002, 12:18 PM
DJW
Registered

I have a silent thunder platform for a 311 if anyone is interested
Old 03-21-2002, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I have been running my '98 252LS with the plugs out of the silent thunder last season and was contemplating drilling two more holes into it.... would that make the exhaust run to hot? Where to drill.... what is inside the platform?

Great boat, just too quiet when on plane.
Old 03-21-2002, 09:19 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Take it off!!!!!

You will pick up about 10 - 12 MPH by loosing the weight and because it sounds faster!!!!!!

Really now.............I had to have the one on my 312 replace twice because it started to crack both times. Seemed like it was a little thin in some areas. I ended up removing it and installing straight tips (actually Dick Simon Marine didi it) with internal flappers and external rubber flappers. Made it sound like a whole boat.

On my 382, it has the extention boxes do it didn't have the Silent Thunder system, it had the factory Corsa mufflers. Before I took delivery, I had DSM remove and replace the Corsa mufflers with straight pipes with a 45 degree tip..............looks bad ass. Sounds bad ass. Is bad ass. Besides, I have the Captains Choice when I want it to be more quite.
Attached Thumbnails Silent Thunder Exhaust-p0001581_1_.jpg  
Old 03-21-2002, 09:20 PM
Registered

Default 45 degree

No Silent Thunder!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Silent Thunder Exhaust-ztips.jpg  
Old 03-21-2002, 09:23 PM
Registered

Default Hell Yeah!

(just my opinion)
Attached Thumbnails Silent Thunder Exhaust-ztips2.jpg  
Old 03-22-2002, 11:32 AM
Registered

Default PhantomChaos

I agree, they do look alot better without the box. And a 10 -12 mph gain to boot, hell if I crank the tunes I could probably get another 2mph.

Why dont you drag that bad boy up to Northern Calif. for our third annual Big Cat Poker Run sponsored by Bob Teague on May 18th. We expect about 90 - 100 boats.

Last edited by hot water; 03-22-2002 at 11:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Silent Thunder Exhaust

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.