Notices
Formula

Step Plates Are Done!!

Old 05-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Step Plates Are Done!!

Let me just start out by saying WOW…what a lot of work went into this “little” project. It looked way too simple to be this complex. Here is the scoop on the step plates, and I would like to reserve this thread for SERIOUS inquires only. I’m going to give you the bottom line on everything and what will need to happen to proceed.

• The plates are A-1 Quality, Heavy Duty and Look Great. Hats off to the Machine Shop!

• They will be sold as what I consider RAW from the machine shop. This means assembled and NOT polished.

• I am trying to get Bill at Diamond Performance to come on board for the finishing touches, but that will be up to you and him. I’ll keep in touch with him and see what progress he has made.

• Pricing: More work means more money! They are going to be $325 (Plus $12 for shipping in the USA) a set, BUT we will need at least 5 PAID orders up front.

• It will take 4-5 weeks to get your steps once we have the initial 5 orders paid for. The machine shop has promised to do their very best to beat this time frame. I’m sure if we get more orders, the will build them faster.

• If you are using the Eddie Marine Handles, you MAY have to re-drill the holes that these plates screw into your boat. There is a clearance issue on the back part of the step. This also means that you may have to trim the cut-out for the cup holder a little. It’s not that big a deal…I’m just letting you know.

I spent about 1 ½ hours polishing the first set tonight, and it wasn’t that bad. I started with a 3M Scotch-Brite EXL De-burring wheel, then worked thru two compounds on a medium soft wheel. Finished it off with some Flitz and a foam Mother’s Ball.

This is where the Money meets the road. PM me or respond here with contact information if you POSITIVLY want these. I’m not sure what the minimum is going to be after the first batch, so if you are on the fence…Think real hard, this may be your only chance.

If you are concerned with me handling the money part of this deal, please DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS THREAD. Those who know me in person and on OSO will speak on my behalf. I will also give you my contact information in a PM. Check out the pictures and the quality of the plates before you respond.

Thanks,
Dave
Attached Thumbnails Step Plates Are Done!!-done-1.jpg   Step Plates Are Done!!-done-2.jpg   Step Plates Are Done!!-done-3.jpg  

Step Plates Are Done!!-done-4.jpg   Step Plates Are Done!!-done-5.jpg  
Old 05-15-2009, 09:35 PM
Where To
VIP Member

Next set of shots...Still not polished!

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Step Plates Are Done!!-done-6.jpg   Step Plates Are Done!!-done-7.jpg   Step Plates Are Done!!-done-8.jpg  

Step Plates Are Done!!-done-9.jpg   Step Plates Are Done!!-done-10.jpg  
Old 05-15-2009, 09:36 PM
Where To
VIP Member

Some more...Not Polished yet!

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Step Plates Are Done!!-done-11.jpg   Step Plates Are Done!!-done-12.jpg   Step Plates Are Done!!-done-13.jpg  

Old 05-15-2009, 09:37 PM
Where To
VIP Member

And finally 3 Polished!

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Step Plates Are Done!!-polished-1.jpg   Step Plates Are Done!!-polished-2.jpg   Step Plates Are Done!!-polished-3.jpg  

Old 05-16-2009, 08:21 AM
Registered

Nice polish job Axa!! Nice machine work too.

I'm not part of this deal but, I can personally vouch for Dave's character. He's an upstanding guy and just will NOT bone anyone. So, if you're at all worried about Dave handling your cash in this deal, you really don't need to. Yes, I'm a friend of Dave's, but that's one of the reasons I'm a friend, he's an honest dude. And finally, he's not making any profit on these steps. He's only covering costs.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Dave, they look GREAT! You can consider me as a serious inquiry (already got the green light from the wife!), I just have a few questions.

Can you provide the overall width and length dimensions, along with the center-to-center distances of the screw holes? I just want to make sure of the size.

Regarding clearance for the Fat Handles, as you can see from my pic I have a lot more room above the handle on my 292, so I can just move my handle up to make room for the thicker step. My plastic one is 3/8" thick and I believe you said the billet one is 1/2"(?)

Does the $325 include two cup holders?

Is there resistance with the hinge set-up? I mean, is the lid really easy to swing (meaning it will want to bounce open and closed) or is there some resistance? It appears there are a couple recessed holes under the lid for rubber pads or something which would be nice.

What type of clear coat are you planning on using? I was told by Eddie Marine that the Fat Handles are 'clear coat anodized'. I am not familiar with that process. Anyone out there have suggestions on a durable clear coat? I would like to find a shop that can do this type of coating.

If the dimensions work out you can DEFINITELY count me in as one of the five that will pay up front.

Thanks,
Dave

Attached Thumbnails Step Plates Are Done!!-step.jpg  
Old 05-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Dave ,
they look great And I am definitely in , do you think they can be fusion coated and whe could possibly do it for me , as my handles are blue, PM me with the money process, or you can always reach me on my cell at 732-614-2900. GREAT JOB and Great Idea !! Thanks, John
Old 05-16-2009, 02:03 PM
Where To
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 4mulafastech
I just have a few questions.

Can you provide the overall width and length dimensions, along with the center-to-center distances of the screw holes? I just want to make sure of the size.
Looks like 10 3/8" long (see picture how I measured length) by 5 3/8" wide. 4 5/16" on the straight end and 4 1/8" on the curved end center to center.

Regarding clearance for the Fat Handles, as you can see from my pic I have a lot more room above the handle on my 292, so I can just move my handle up to make room for the thicker step. My plastic one is 3/8" thick and I believe you said the billet one is 1/2"(?)
Check your thickness with the plate off. There are stantions on the bottom of the plastic. Instead of machining them in, I had the machine shop just make them 1/2" thick

Does the $325 include two cup holders?
No it does not. Eddie Marine has them, the large ones!

Is there resistance with the hinge set-up? I mean, is the lid really easy to swing (meaning it will want to bounce open and closed) or is there some resistance? It appears there are a couple recessed holes under the lid for rubber pads or something which would be nice.
The resessed hole are for rubber pads and they WILL be included. The lid is clearenced for the thickness of the rubber stopper.

What type of clear coat are you planning on using? I was told by Eddie Marine that the Fat Handles are 'clear coat anodized'. I am not familiar with that process. Anyone out there have suggestions on a durable clear coat? I would like to find a shop that can do this type of coating.
I think that Eddie Marine is who Bill at Diamond Performance is talking to...So maybe wait for him?

I plan to have mine powder coated red over the polished surface. Thinking of leaving the handles polished. I haven't made up my mind on that yet.

Here are some shots of how I measured for you. Maybe someone can call TAG and verify that ALL Fastechs use the same step? Magicfloat?

Dave

PS: Bird, thanks for the kind words! 5PM, check out the ruler!
Attached Thumbnails Step Plates Are Done!!-measure-plate-1.jpg   Step Plates Are Done!!-measure-plate-2.jpg   Step Plates Are Done!!-measure-plate-3.jpg  

Step Plates Are Done!!-measure-plate-4.jpg  
Old 05-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Where To
VIP Member

Originally Posted by jwheels629
Hi Dave ,
they look great And I am definitely in , do you think they can be fusion coated and whe could possibly do it for me , as my handles are blue, PM me with the money process, or you can always reach me on my cell at 732-614-2900. GREAT JOB and Great Idea !! Thanks, John
John, I think that you will find some answers on coating here on OSO. Powder would be ok, I don't know what fusion coating is?

Not entirely my idea, more of a group thing, but thanks!

I will be in touch as soon as we hit at least 5!

Thanks!

Dave
Old 05-16-2009, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dave,

have a guy right here on the Jersey Shore that does both podercoating and Fusion coat , gonna stop by and see him and show your pictures and see what he thinks, I will let you know what he thinks,
John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.