Notices
Formula

Hey CUDA

Old 04-24-2002, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey CUDA

Last month in a thread you mentioned that you removed your bottom paint . What kind of job is this? did you use chemicals or sand it off? How did the jelcoat look after the bottom paint was removed? Do you think it was worth the effort? Did you see any MPH gaines?

As you can tell I need to do this but it looks like a tedious job.

Thanks for any input
Russ
Old 04-24-2002, 10:50 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I sand blasted mine off it was a pain in the butt. I know a guy that sanded his and buffed it out. It was a 26 footer and it took two guys about two days to get it done but it came out real nice. My bottom was not as clean as his so I had repairs to make a a repaint anyhow so I just blasted it all off. YOu can use walnut shells and it will take a while but they will not damage the gell coat.
Old 04-24-2002, 11:15 AM
Secret F233

I think they scraped it from the look of the photos.

Heres the site from his profile it came out realy nice!! How did the gelcoat end up Cuda

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Forest/9752/

Old 04-24-2002, 01:32 PM
Registered

Thanx,
It sounds like yard time, open the wallet.
Old 04-24-2002, 03:37 PM
Secret F233

Let me know what they charge you? If it's enough I'll drive up & beat there price & care about the quality of work aswell!!!

Need that rehab cash!!!

Old 04-26-2002, 10:18 AM
Banned

We started scraping, but figured we would NEVER get it done that way, and it is impossible to scrape in the little valleys in the hull. I rented a 3000# pressure washer with a sand blasting attachment. I use the finer grit sand (I think it was 60 grit or so). It worked well, took about 2 hours and 550# of sand. You need to be careful on edges, because it is easy to cut thru the gel coat. I did in a couple of places, but just put some more back on in the thin spot. If you use the sand blaster, be sure to wear safety goggles and a hat! I didn't wear a hat, and was washing sand from my hair for two days.

Another thing about scraping, after we had scraped that day, Debbie was real sick the next day. I think it may have been from breathing or ingesting the dust from scraping.