Starting problems

Notices
Formula

Starting problems

Old 05-05-2002, 11:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Starting problems

I'm having a problem with my 1989 242ls. Sometimes when I go to starter her up I just hear a "click" and she don't turn over. It seems like when I play with the gear selector I can get it to turn over. So I guess my question is, does the boat think its not in neutral and can you tell me where the neutral saftey switch is so I can jump it? Any other ideas are welcome. Boat has a 502 and a Bravo 1.
Old 05-05-2002, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

safety switch is USUALLY in the shifter unit (not on or around the motor, but whatever handle you use to put it in gear). If you use a "single handle" for shifting AND throttle, there is a switch that has a roller on the tip and the roller drops into a notch on the shift cable wheel to give juice to the starter.

If, however, you HEAR a click when it won't turn over, then you have juice to the solenoid (which means it is not trouble with the shifter switch). Messing with the shifter probably spikes the solenoid until it finally "makes". If this is what is happeining, you could have a bad connection on a battery cable at the battery, at a battery switch, at the point that the ground cable is connected to the motor, or where the positive cable is connected to the starter solenoid. Or, the solenoid could just be bad (or corroded or sticky).

M
Old 05-06-2002, 06:53 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the solenoid on the front of the motor.
Try jumping the two top terminals with a pair of pliers. If it turns over normally, replace that solenoid.
I had the same trouble all last season. Replaced the solenoid, ($19.95) and no more embarrassing moments (click, click, click) at the ramp.
Old 05-06-2002, 02:58 PM
Registered

Thanks for the help so far. FYI I have a seperate shifter for the gear selection. I was hoping to not have to go through the wiring. This is the boats 3rd motor so the wiring is a little bit different. I think I know the solenoid you are refering to. I saw it in the original wiring diagram. Can you tell me what purpose it serves. The starter has a solenoid on top of it already correct? Also this seems to only happen when the boat is cold for more than a few hours. After running on the lake I can't remember having this problem, its only when I drop it in the water.
Old 05-07-2002, 06:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mine did the same thing. It was damn near impossible to get it to crank when cold but worked ok after first start. One of the guys here said that these solenoids fail quite readily.

My Mercruiser wiring diagram calls it a "slave" solenoid.
I haven't figured out why they use two solenoids to crank the motor.
The keyswitch activates the slave first then power goes to activate the starter solenoid.

Maybe someone can shed a little light on this.

Last edited by Iggy; 05-07-2002 at 06:32 AM.
Old 05-07-2002, 09:08 AM
Registered

Ok so where can I find one of these and do you know the part #?
For 20 bucks I might as well replace it. Is it a Merc part?
Old 05-07-2002, 09:44 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

What engine do you have?
I'm running an '88 350 MAG.
My Mercury p/n is 89-96054T or Sierra replacement p/n is 18-5816.

Best bet is to get the engine serial number and enter it into the Mercury Parts Express website. Then look under electrical componnents. There's two types of solenoids depending on the mounting bracket, flat or raised. Visually check the old one before purchasing.

Note: In case you don't know what the solenoid looks like, it looks identical to the ones used by the trim pump. At least mine does.
Old 05-08-2002, 12:04 AM
Registered

I bought the boat with a 502 GM crate motor. It was originally equiped with a 454 Mag and I think the electronics are all original except for the ignition system.

OK I just looked it up, its the same one as yours......$18.35
(HMMM a cheap fix for the boat???)

Last edited by chavvez; 05-08-2002 at 12:19 AM.