Put the bird in a nest

Notices
Formula

Put the bird in a nest

Old 01-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Got ya. From the pictures I saw earlier on it looked like they had a metal trim that went over that. Looks like you are going to have to break out the mallet and torch Nort! Don't burn the house down!!!
Old 01-15-2012, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Got ya. From the pictures I saw earlier on it looked like they had a metal trim that went over that. Looks like you are going to have to break out the mallet and torch Nort! Don't burn the house down!!!
I'm gonna do it the same but different.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by C_Spray
I used a break for the bends on the back edge, since it was straight. To bend it around the radiused areas on the front outer corners, I annealed the aluminum with a torch, then used a leather mallet to form it around the wooden base.
Chuck

In that picture, it looks like an aluminum hinge. Is it.....mine is stainless? Also the holes on it are opposite of each other, and probably twice as many. Mine are not.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:59 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Chuck

In that picture, it looks like an aluminum hinge. Is it.....mine is stainless? Also the holes on it are opposite of each other, and probably twice as many. Mine are not.
Nort - I narrowed the center step for better access to my sea strainers, so I needed longer doors and hinges. I bought a 6' stainless hinge from McMaster and cut it to length, using every other hole. I countersunk the diamond plate before having it powdercoated, so there would be no exposed raw aluminum.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:44 PM
Registered

Another "while we are at it........" LOL!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Put the bird in a nest-dscf1223.jpg   Put the bird in a nest-dscf1224.jpg   Put the bird in a nest-dscf1225.jpg  

Put the bird in a nest-dscf1227.jpg  
Old 02-21-2012, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats trick
Old 02-21-2012, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Double throw down...double trick...super high tech.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:30 PM
Registered

Step project is coming together and should be finished soon. Naked parts from factory are all white powder coated now. That sucked for the shop that did it as there was so much corrosion because there was no plating. At least Formula used stainless hardware......but not sure if it was 316 stainless as there was some rust. I had to pound some of the hardware out of the holes. See the white powder on the floor? Ordered all new 316 stainless hardware (and the correct size). I noticed some of the hardware was longer but cut to size. Had the factory piano hinge bead polished too. That's the only part that will show when done.
Attached Thumbnails Put the bird in a nest-dsc_0094.jpg   Put the bird in a nest-dsc_0098.jpg   Put the bird in a nest-dsc_0549.jpg  

Old 02-22-2012, 08:37 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey! That looks like my collection of McMaster-Carr boxes. What are the orange washers?
Old 02-22-2012, 09:55 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nort isn't that just galvanic corrosion? On the 928's Porsche used plastic washers and plastic sleaves to hold on the fenders. There is a chart I can't remember what it is called that tells you the best bolts, washers, nuts for a particular metal. I would assume even allum. bolts would be strong enough?

Last edited by Audiofn; 02-22-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.