My new project - 86 - 272 LS >

My new project - 86 - 272 LS

Notices
Formula

My new project - 86 - 272 LS

Old 07-17-2012, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Measure to the center-line of the transom assemblies...mine are 32.5" I think.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Transom assemblies are right at 33" centerline.

The inner tie bar is out again and this time it came apart! Yeah, soaked it 6 months ago and it finally came loose and turns! Now I can change it and fix the loose hole. The pin that goes through it is 0.375", but the rod has worn to 0.385" on one end. I am going to put it on the mill and open it up and bush it back to a true 0.375 to tighten things up.

The tie bar is also apart, good thing as the rod ends look pretty bad and have slope in them. As long as I am tightening up the inside, should do the outside also. Two new stainless teflon coated rod ends: $80!

And the bleeding continues.....

Brian
Old 07-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Registered

duplicate post, save for later
Old 07-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Registered

Default Update

got some work done this week.

Drives look complete except for the props and I still have to do lube. With tie bar out, I put it in the lathe and turned 0.40" off each end which worked out perfect. Now the drives are right at 33" on center which matches the transom assemblies. I took the inside connecting rod out and drilled the pin hole out to 13/32 and then also drilled the arm of the transom assembly. Turned a pin down to the correct diameter and it is a nice snug fit now, got rid of the big play between the drives. Trim cylinders are back on and plumbed in.

Monday I have to finish hooking up one of the trim wires and I should be able to get the two trim gauges working and cycle the drives to get the air out. Same with the trim tabs, they are ready to try out.

Carbs are on. Need to get two fittings to hook up my braided fuel line. also need new PVC valves, as my old ones are empty shells! extend a wire for the alternator and that can be bolted in again.

Then I think it is done and time to fire them up on the hose!

The main cabin reinforcement is also done now. All the bad wood has been replaced, NidaBond used to fill in and reinforce where I wanted more strength and fiberglass covering everything from the V-berth bulkhead back. I can now start the finish work for the new sitting area down there and porta potti. Still have fabric work, but it is plenty strong to actually use it now! Yeah! Actually, I think it is stronger than new, I know it is stronger than it has been in many years, so I feel good about that.

Still need to pull the captains chair back out and fix the side that my big butt broke off when I tested it a few weeks back. That doesn't help the ole ego any.

Trailer is looking good also. Painting it now, should be done in a couple of days and then put back together. Took a lot of work, but I am happy with how the boat is sitting and how it will look. Added side bunks to help locate the boat and a ladder at the bow to help get up on the boat while docking. Next week it should leave the building it was put in for the first time since November! Will be nice to get some outside pictures of it.

Brian
Old 07-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Registered

Carry on soldier...you are getting close to the day!!
Old 07-24-2012, 04:50 PM
Registered

Well, kinda a big day today, kinda not. Took the boat for the first ride this afternoon. About a 1/4 mile down the road to drop the first $100 bill into the gas tank for some premium fuel.

But it actually left the building for the first time in several months, big step.

Then tried to fire it up when I got back without any luck. A quick check showed no spark, so back into the building and I will look at it later.

Brian
Old 07-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by befu
Well, kinda a big day today, kinda not. Took the boat for the first ride this afternoon. About a 1/4 mile down the road to drop the first $100 bill into the gas tank for some premium fuel.

But it actually left the building for the first time in several months, big step.

Then tried to fire it up when I got back without any luck. A quick check showed no spark, so back into the building and I will look at it later.

Brian
Both engines? What ignition....T-bolt IV?

Wish I was there to help figure it out.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You didn't forget your kill lanyards did you ?
Old 07-24-2012, 10:54 PM
Registered

Yep, T-bolt IV.

No lanyards.

The neutral switches were reading 1 ohm across them, they were not depressed.

I measured the coil voltage with the ignition switch on and both the + and - had 12 volts on it. But the - goes to the ignition module and the tach, so not sure what it should read. Of course, I do have GM ignition on my burb, so I could measure that also.

Troubleshoot it later today, see how it goes. Can try it next on Thursday again.

Oh, the old engines did run also, so I definately think I hooked something up wrong.

Brian
Old 07-25-2012, 07:32 AM
Registered

So...on the upside...does the trailer track well and do the brakes work?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.