My new project - 86 - 272 LS >

My new project - 86 - 272 LS

Notices
Formula

My new project - 86 - 272 LS

Old 08-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't do much on the boat today, actually had job work to do! Did get to the boat and poked around some. Posted on my alternator issue in the other thread on alternator conversion.

Also measured some continuity and voltages. Found a few connectors that we are going to replace and see if that helps. going to buy a new battery tonight to try also and clean the battery switch contacts.

Tried the fuel pump again and it ran, no problem. So something happened without fuel flowing through it while running to overheat it and shut it down. Ordered a Holley fuel pressure switch to plumb into the water seperator mount. When the pressure goes over 5psi, it will open shutting off the pump. Drops, it will kick back on. Will mainly be for when the boat is on but not running yet or idling around. Hopefully that solves the fuel pump problem. Other way would have been to rig up a regulator and plumb the bypass as a return line to the pump - I just went with the shut the pump off method. Of course this means that the regulator method is the one that will work and I will try that next.

Also found out that my neutral safety switches are bypassed because they do not exist! Will have to add a couple of switches to the underside of the shifters. I am going to be way to nervous running this thing the first few times to trust myself to make sure it is in neutral before cranking a motor over.

*edit* Just got back in and noticed the levels were down in all the cells, so topped them off and put the charger back on it. Will pick up second battery tonight. Also noticed that the negative threaded post was bent! Not sure what the heck happened, but the negative wire is not secured by the nut since the post is bent. I know it wasn't like that before, so that is new. Still doesn't explain the grinding when I was trying the optima battery on the otherside, but a ground dropping out and arcing will cause big problems with the electrical system. Few things to do tomorrow and check it again.

Brian

Last edited by befu; 08-27-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Registered

Got the trailer lights all sorted out and working with the new 7 pin connector. Being that the trailer was only a bill of sale and did not have any ID plates on it, I am also applying for a title on it for Indiana. Got the new stamped ID plate attached today so I can call for my final inspection on it and get my plates! Yeah.

As I mentioned, I went through the electrical and this solved the ignition issue on the starboard motor. It now starts fine and shuts off with the key. The black wire on the back of the newer alternator was backfeeding the ignition. I also had a poor contact for the incoming ignition power source. So when I disconnected that black wire, the motor would not start due to poor voltage. Now it starts and runs as it is supposed to.

Port motor is still giving me problems. I am just not getting any spark. The Starboard motor has 12.4 volts on the coil with the ignition key on, not running. The port motor only has 11.4 volts, so I have something pulling it down. Got too hot out in the sun to keep messing with it, so we put it away and will continue tomorrow in the shade.

Make progress, slowly, but making it.

http://youtu.be/dwWEWnQNfjo

Brian

Last edited by befu; 08-29-2012 at 02:50 PM. Reason: added video link
Old 08-30-2012, 03:32 PM
Registered

Default They run!!!!!

IT RUNS! IT RUNS, IT RUNS, IT RUNS!!!!!!!

Have you heard the news? My boat motors actually run! YEAH!!!!

OK, so finally figured out what it was. We jumpered the positive of the coil directly to the battery. Very strong spark and it barked at us on cranking it over. So we went through the ignition source and cleaned the fuse contacts, looked at the key ignition and the motor harness connector. Once we did all that, good spark and the motor barked to life.

Still get the starter grinding sometimes, so we are going to try the shims next. We have good batteries, good cables and connections, tight starter bolts. So next is shim one and see what it does. It has been getting better. Both motors start and shut down as they are supposed to with the key now also, that is important.

Starboard tach is not working in the dash. Port does, even swapped the port wire over to the starboard tach and it still does not work, so I need to look into that one, maybe a new tach. But good oil pressure, good voltage from alternators on both of them, no water leaks.

Port motor is definately rich, we will go back to the carb and re check where the primary idle jets are set, I have a feeling I did not set them and they are way out.

Maybe next week, maybe next week this thing will float and run.

Brian
Old 09-03-2012, 08:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by hq_
This sounds so familiar. I've learned that there are at least four factors that can cause grinding: improper shimming, imporperly torqued mounting bolts, low voltage and faulty bendix many regard as the obvious problem before checking the other possibilities first.
Good call on this one. You know how in your mind you have done something properly, so you never even consider going back and checking it? Well guess what, both starters were loose! Retorqued the bolts and they crank really nice now, no grinding. At least I went through everything else first, so I know the whole system is good now. Only discovered they were loose when we went to add a shim to the starter - no shim required now.

The starboard motor is good. Revs nicely, starts right up, got it to idle about 750 to 800 rpm. Two things I need to fix still - no tach and no water temp. Thermostat housing is warm, so I would think the temp would come up some - time to check sender and wires. I think the tach is dead. Tried cleaning contacts, even jumped a power and ground source to the terminals. Then put the port tach lead on the SB tach and still nothing (port tach worked fine). Shifts into forward and reverse just fine, so my raft is now back to a boat status. A slow one, but it will float and move around under its own power. Had to state this for my own moral boost!

Port motor bugs still need to be worked out. Timing off still, need to play with that. Ran but then quit as the accelerator pump is dragging and not working. so need to pull the air horn off again and look at that. New part will arrive wednesday. Also need to check the temp gauge - hasn't really run long enough to get very warm but the gauge also acts like it is not working.

Was going to bring it home this weekend from the shop so we could put the rear bench seat back in it, but instead we are getting two more foster kids just for the day. They are half siblings to the other four we have right now, so kind of a mini family reunion. Leaving the boat in the shop, not much is going to get done with 11 kids in the house.....

I should have bough that CC.....

Brian
Old 09-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Registered

Default Details, details

Details, details and more details....

Trailer is licensed and ready to go, I am now fully legal and insured for when this thing hits the water. For that to happen, details......

Got the trouble with the port carb fixed. Below is a picture of three accelerator pumps. The holley one from the rebuild kit looked the same, but it is not. It has a coil spring wrapped around the body under the rubber plunger boot (shiny object in the attached picture) It fits and will work, but it does not come back up fast enough. Hangs up and slowly creeps back up. Not sure if it is wrong or just needs a stronger return spring. Well, the edelbrock one came in and it looks like a perfect replacement for the original one. Good spray and instant return. Put it all in, got the carb back together and tried it again. Now the port engine fires right up, nice and strong!

It is nice to have both motors running, both starting easily, and both shifting properly into forward and reverse. Well, almost. The starboard side shift interupt is not working, so need to look into that. I think it is in the linkage, so will need some adjustment I am sure.

Port engine is good on all instrumentation also. Starboard I still do not have a temp gauge working. Need to start tracing wires and see if it is the sender, wires or gauage. Also as mentioned, no tach for the SB motor. Found one on Amazon that is the exact match for about $80 delivered, will probably just buy that one unless someone here comes up with an original one.

Still have to set the timing, tried it today again and we can not see the mark. Not sure on this one, but we will get through it. Adjust by ear right now, need to get it set exactly though.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:01 PM
Registered

Well, went out and inspected the water temp gauge. I have 12 volts on the power lead, good ground, and 7 volts coming in from the sensor. The other gauge that is working has about 7.5 volts on it and is registering a reading.

Cleaned all the post, even jumpered the other gauge to the sender in the other boat, nothing.

All wiring seems good, reading good voltages on the inputs to the gauge, and the needle never moves.

I am guessing I need a new gauge, but where do I find one of those gauges for a 86 Formula 272?

Brian
Old 09-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Registered

Default Nervous

Well, after almost 10 months, I have to admit I am really nervous! We are taking it 4 miles down the road to a smaller lake about 1 mile long. Not enough to really test it, but just to try it out.

Put it on and off the trailer, fire up the motors, see what works and then see if it will get up on plane. I am sure the locals will not like me, but I am just there for a short bit during a non-busy time testing it out. I pay my taxes and such to help maintain their lake and it is a public launch.

But I really am feeling the butterflies....
Old 09-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Registered

Well, that was a let down. Get to the launch, nice setup, no other boats, beautiful concrete launch. Get it set up, running blowers, straps off and back it in to the water. Gets far enough in that the back is just floating, the exhaust outlets are just in the water. I pull it back out to make sure there are no holes at the end of the ramp I might be stuck in and when the boat comes out, the starboard side is propped up about 1 inches! The third set of rollers from the stern are vertical and the strake is sitting on the sides of the wheels.

I am thinking lets get it back in, get the boat off so we can look at the trailer. Drop the drives down and start the starboard motor no problem. Port motor will not fire. Coughs and such, but just will not fire.

So we shut it back down, prep it and pull it back out. Yep, still sitting on top of the third set of rollers being vertical. Thought these were not supposed to pivot that much? I get in the water, back it in untill it floats and use the paddle to pull that set of wheels down flat and then pull back out slowly.

Now a set on the port side is doing it! Back in the water, same thing walking in with the oar and now back out sitting flat. Some of the roller carraiges are a bit skewed and off. I think everything is just too worn and loose right now, so I am going to jack the boat up next week and put bunks under it like I was told to months ago.

That and look at the port motor again and see what it up with it. Maybe check float, not sure. But all in all, not a great day. Not a terrible day, water was nice, boat is still on the trailer and the suburban is not in the lake, so it could have been way worse.

brian
Old 09-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I can maybe make your day better... I have a full set of guages out of a 357 you are welcome to. They were all working when taken out.

Jon
Old 09-07-2012, 05:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
I can maybe make your day better... I have a full set of guages out of a 357 you are welcome to. They were all working when taken out.

Jon
WOW! That would make my day. And it is only 6:41 am right now. Good thing I read this in the morning and not last night before going to bed! Get more use out of the "good day" then.

What year are they out of so I can look up a picture. Or do you have a picture?

Brian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.