My new project - 86 - 272 LS

Notices
Formula

My new project - 86 - 272 LS

Old 09-07-2012, 06:55 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I can try and get pictures. Honestly I have not even looked at the stuff for a bunch of years. I think the boat was a early 90's boat. All formulas of that vintage used the same guages. I dout they are perfect but they will get you back out on the water.

It is possible that the guage is messing up your ignition. Try disconnecting the wire from the guage and see if hte boat starts.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn
I can try and get pictures. Honestly I have not even looked at the stuff for a bunch of years. I think the boat was a early 90's boat. All formulas of that vintage used the same guages. I dout they are perfect but they will get you back out on the water.

It is possible that the guage is messing up your ignition. Try disconnecting the wire from the guage and see if hte boat starts.
Sounds great, gladly except your help. Will send you a PM.

The motor with the bad gauges is the one that always starts! Go figure huh? We went over the motor again today and one of the starter bolts was loose again, so put some blue thread lock on it. If it moves again, we will buy new bolts (these came with new starter). We pulled the boat out again today and hooked it up to the hose. Both motors fire right up, no issues. Port motor is rich, so backed off the idle adjustment screws some. Still smoking, but rich is better than lean.

Not sure, will probably be Wednesday before we try running it again. Maybe we need to get it all the way off the trailer first? Sitting at an angle, maybe it is messing with the float levels if they are set right on the edge of being correct? Not sure.

Maybe my boat is just afraid of water.....
Old 09-09-2012, 07:34 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

If you are dripping on the carb all the fuel will run to the back cylinders and flood them out. I would try and figure out what is up with your carb before atttempting another run. You are missing something.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
If you are dripping on the carb all the fuel will run to the back cylinders and flood them out. I would try and figure out what is up with your carb before atttempting another run. You are missing something.
Good point and I agree. I am thinking with it sitting flat in the driveway, I will run them. shut them off and let the fuel pump run untill the pressure switch shuts it off (no flow).

then pull the airhorns off the top of both carbs and see where the fuel levels are. Fuel too low and the accelerator pump would be starving. Too high and it would be flooding at an angle.

Hmm, need to look at my spare carb first and see if I can measure fuel level through a vent tube? Might be easier.

Thank you,

Brian
Old 09-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

I suck at carbs they are the one mystery to me on a motor.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by befu
Good point and I agree. I am thinking with it sitting flat in the driveway, I will run them. shut them off and let the fuel pump run untill the pressure switch shuts it off (no flow).

then pull the airhorns off the top of both carbs and see where the fuel levels are. Fuel too low and the accelerator pump would be starving. Too high and it would be flooding at an angle.

Hmm, need to look at my spare carb first and see if I can measure fuel level through a vent tube? Might be easier.

Thank you,

Brian
Brian...I know Q-Jets fairly well...if you're pulling the air horn off and on with out changing the gasket each time...that might be your problem. It's just about impossible to do with out tearing the gasket...and even if you don't it will probably leak anyway.

If you can swing it...National Carburetor in Jacksonville, Fl has Marine Q-Jets re-built and run in for $199 plus shipping....would definitely solve your carburetor issues. They run great out of the box.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Registered

Well, with the boat sitting home in the driveway, we spent soem time washing it up and trying to make her look pretty. Kids had a blast scrubbing and washing it and I have to admit, it doesn't look bad! Really needs to be polished, but it did clean up at least.

I should have taken more pictures of it when I first got it, but i started probing to see what I had bought and ended up just tearing it apart right off the bat. A couple of the starting photos are attached.....

Old 09-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Brian...you've done an outstanding job in resurrecting that old bird...looks great!!
Old 09-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sprink58
Brian...I know Q-Jets fairly well...if you're pulling the air horn off and on with out changing the gasket each time...that might be your problem. It's just about impossible to do with out tearing the gasket...and even if you don't it will probably leak anyway.

If you can swing it...National Carburetor in Jacksonville, Fl has Marine Q-Jets re-built and run in for $199 plus shipping....would definitely solve your carburetor issues. They run great out of the box.
If I need to I will. Right now it is running on the hose so I really need to get the thing wet and run it once. Just do not want to spend another $400 plus shipping right now, kind of burned out on spending money on the motors until I actually drive the thing.

I have a feeling the smaller secondary metering rods that are in it are part of the rich problem, but I do not want to lean it back out until I get a baseline. The carb is also cleaned well adn should be working fine. There is that "should be" again... Thanks for the source, I will keep them in mind. Not a bad price actually.

Brian
Old 09-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Maybe try and swap your carbs from one side to the other to see if the problem fallows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.