My new project - 86 - 272 LS

Notices
Formula

My new project - 86 - 272 LS

Old 09-13-2012, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It ran!!!!!!!

OK, went to the close smaller lake today and couldn't get it. Fire truck on the ramp, they were testing the pumps. For over an hour! Really? The ramp is only open for 3 hours a day and you have to test the pumps then, oh-well. Oh, and a local was yelling at me that "your boat is too big for the lake!" as I drove by. Yeah, says you. I pay my taxes, license my boat and the DNR maintains the lake and says there is not a size limit on it so too bad!

So we drove a half hour to Lake Wawasee and put it in. Worked out very well, drove it around for about 40 minutes, pushed the throttles into the secondaries a bit and it spins those 19p - 4 blades easily. Hit 4400 at one point and it had some push to it. I backed right back off, just trying it out and testing right now. But it handled nicely, turned smooth and ate up the GIANT 12 INCH WAVES I FOUND TWICE!!!! YEAH, OFFSHORE RACING ......

It even went back on the trailer very nicely, no problems this time. I stalled it about 20 times shifting it with the shift interrupters, so I will have to look at adjusting those and learn how to shift it faster.

All in all, a great day! Boat ran, got back on the trailer easily, pissed off one home owner and one driver, got over the massive butterflies in my stomach without pissing myself! Definately a good day.

Will edit some in boat video and post one up later. Need to calm the nerves down some now....
http://youtu.be/PE662w6ui74
Brian

Last edited by befu; 09-13-2012 at 08:57 PM. Reason: added video
Old 09-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats you are no longer a trailer Queen Those shift interrupters are a pain I ended up replacing them with a new style a few years ago no more stalling around the dock.

mark
Old 09-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great stuff!! Thanks for sharing!!
Old 09-26-2012, 03:28 PM
Registered

Default 9-26 update

After the last test, we went through all the fluids after actually running it. Starboard motor oil was high and milky!!!! Upon inspection, you could see the brown foam along the intake manifold - head joint. So we figured the intake didn't seal on that side so we pulled it off and redid it. Drained all the oil out of it (remote filters worked great!), put in new oil and filter and then ran it on the hose for a bit.

Well, overcast but low 70's here, so at 1pm we left to go to lake Wawasee. Dropped it in, parked the trailer, and pushed off. Well, port motor didn't want to fire, so I ran it on the starboard motor to get it away from the dock. Opened the throttle and cranked it a few times till it fired. It coughed, sputtered, and belched fumes and then ran fine, so I figure too much fuel in a couple of the cyclinders. Definately looking at sending that carb out this winter as suggested by others.

But then it cleared out and ran fine. We ran it around the lake for awhile going slow and medium speed, never really into the secondaries. Stopped on the water at one point and checked the oil again and some foam again on the dipstick and a bit on top of the intake manifold. Well, after looking at it, oil didn't look like it was over filled, so I was thinking it was still burning off residual water. We ran it around some more with a light load on it watching the motor. Steam was coming out of the breather tubes and condensing on the flame arrestor to drip onto the intake manifold, so that made me feel better that the intake wasn't leaking again. The more we ran it, the clearer the oil got and by the time we were done, it looked brand new again.

Well, with it running good and the oil looking fine, we ran another lap. Coming out of one of the bays on the lake at 4000 rpm, the starboard motor suddenly died, OH crap.... I pull the throttles back and the port motor dies.... Hmm, so much for 2 motor reliability. Try to start them and they will not run, no fuel pump! OK, check the fuse and that is not it. Luckily I had my multi meter and we had voltage at the switch, but not at the pump. At this point, the wind picks up some as we start to drift towards the shore. Second run, so no anchor and I forgot the paddles. But I do see we have a 20 lb fire extinguisher on board and rope, so worse case I will use that. (I was hoping it would sink, but it is pretty heavy).

So we stuffed one end of the multi meter leads in the positive battery terminal, set it to DC amperage and held the other end to the fuel pressure switch. Wha - La, pump came to life. Now I am driving with the engine hatch up while the other guy holds the probe to the switch so it stays running. What a scene... Anyways, some more drama around the dock as the pump cuts out again, but a helpful person is there to catch a line to drag us into the dock. Fix it again and it is now on the trailer at home again. Yikes!

How fast? No idea, the speedometer is out waiting on a new one to be delivered. But we managed to get it up to 4000 rpm with 4 blade - 19 pitch props on it at about half throttle. It seems to run around 3200 just before the secondaries start to open. Definately needs more prop, but these 19 pitch aluminum 4 blades really push it out of the hole fast.

Well, we will look it over again tomorrow and do the next round of work on it. It rides great and turns beautifully. Sounds good also and got a couple of compliments on how it looked. Almost made it to 700 hours also, now at 699.8 hours!

Brian
Old 09-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Brian...I'm going to say I think the lake water was cold and it just took a while to warm those engines up enough to burn off the condensation moisture.

You are making me feel bad with those old Q-Jets. If I can find a good pair of Holley 750 DP's I'll send you my good Q-Jets. Don't worry about the $$...just send me what they are worth to you if they work out.

The 19" props may be perfect for you to zip around lakes with a heavy load...you aren't out to break a speed record anyway.
She will probably push 55 at close to 5000 with those 19's.

How long you have before you have to put it away?
Old 09-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Registered

No hurry on putting it away, I figure I have a couple of months. They are predicting warmer weather through December now so I figure I will boat well into October at the shortest. Lots of warmer days left up here and no worry about freezing with indoor storage.

I never got 19" props. I thought I bought one, but when I checked it, I found it was a 21 pitch. I am going to put the three blade ss 23p ones on and try it next week and see what the rpms do.

I have one carb that works great, the other needs something. I think it is float though. Today the starboard motor died first, so either it had more fuel in the bowl, or it was using less. The metering rods are the same, so a higher bowl level would cause the richness while idling and the flooding after backing it down the ramp. I appreciate the offer. I may swap the carbs around also just to make sure the problem follows the carb as suggested earlier. I appreciate the offer on yours.

I will run it several more times this year working on dialing it in and learning.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Registered

Default Wrong ratio's

Wow, some times I am just amazed that I ever managed to get married and hold down a good job. I am such an idiot!

So, with a second tach hooked up, I was still surprised that there was quite a difference in the motor rpm's. I thought maybe the other tach was bad also, might have to have it rebuilt. Then I realized I bought two outdrives this winter and took the guys word that they were 1.5 drives. So we just checked them out and what do you know, the port drive is a 1.94:1 drive out of a four cylinder! Yikes! Gotta admit, it did seem to plane easy and the drive worked beautiful.

So monday we are pulling down one of my original drives and putting it on there in place of the 1.98:1 drive. Will also play with adjusting the shift interupters and seeing if I can get those working so the motors do not stall everytime I shift while around the docks. Very fustrating those shift interupts.

After that is the fuel pump....

Bugs, bugs and more bugs.....
Old 10-25-2012, 04:35 PM
Registered

Default Last run of the season

Well, with weather set to get cold tomorow, we went for one last run today. We did get the fuel pump reworked through a relay with a 10 amp breaker protecting the pump system. Now only milli amps going through the dash. Also checked the oil again and everything looks good.

So we drop it in the water and get it started up. Motors were cold and it ran like it at first, but got idled out to the lake. With the one drive replaced and back to 1.5 ratio, engine rpm,s also looked good. Pushed throttles forward and at 2000 rpm the port motor starts missing and popping occasionally. Well after several inspections and tries, I push the throttles further up and once into the secondary range more power comes on and it leaps onto plane. Ran good from 2500 to3000, but that was it. Above 3k it loses power and starts surging.

Well, we ran it around a couple of times during all the testing, got the hour meter over 700 hours finally. Then while running straight into the wind, it suddenly died again. First one motor followed by the second. I know this feeling, no fuel pump. Breaker is fine, relay is working, no pump. Try jumping it with a wire from the load side of the breaker to the pump directly and we get sparks on contact. Not enough to pop the 10 amp breaker, but not right either. That Holley fuel pump just shut down, even with good power, flowing fuel for both motors and a pressure switch in line to shut it off when not needed. Wasn't that hot either, but no pump.

And then it happened, two elderly gentlemen came by in a pontoon boat and towed us in to the dock. Never a good thing, but at least they were out there and kind enough to save our butts. As we approach the dock, we try the pump again and it works! Really? Time to send it in or eBay it and put in two pumps for redundant systems. Especially with it seeming like the motors are starving above 3000 rpm, not good.

Oh, and when we checked the fuel pump we saw the oil slick in the bilge. The starboard motor was foaming again. So it will be coming out first this year to be gone through. Maybe finish my other block and drop in a new motor, we will know after we get it out.

Oh, got the speedo working but it reads pretty slow. At 38 on gps it was reading 30. I think I need a gps speedo this winter. Water temp on sb motor still wasn't working, will have to chase that down

So now I start my long winter to do list........ Should have bought a pontoon boat with a 250 on the back. Brian
Old 10-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

befu,

been following this thread because the 272 is the direction I want to go in.

Anyway its too bad you've had so much bad luck after all the work you've done but you'll get passed it.

My one question, why the heck would you run one fuel pump on a twin? Go to 2 fuel pumps please!!! Or at least carry a spare, its a silly reason to be dead in the water in a twin engine boat.

Good luck and I'll continue to follow, I want to see a top speed number!!!
Old 10-25-2012, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Hey man, just ordered a full set of autometer a for mine. I have a full set of vdo's minus tachs and speedo. All gauges function great. You are welcome to them if you'd like.
Attached Thumbnails My new project - 86 - 272 LS-image.jpg  

Last edited by Crude Intentions; 10-25-2012 at 05:10 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.