My new project - 86 - 272 LS >

My new project - 86 - 272 LS

Notices
Formula

My new project - 86 - 272 LS

Old 02-25-2013, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't remember what it was for, it was either fresh water or sewage pump out. The pump out toilet was not in it when I got it (thank goodness), just the lines were. Fresh water tank was just in front of it. Next time out there I will see what it says and update this post.

Update 2-27: The fitting on the bow to the side is "waste". Not sure where the water fill is. The hoses have been removed inside as the sink is gone, but I do not remember a fill line running up front. Will have to look again.

Brian

Cripes! just noticed 23 pages and 221 post. Never thought it would turn into one of "those" projects!

Last edited by befu; 02-27-2013 at 10:28 AM. Reason: added waste empty note
Old 02-25-2013, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by befu
Transom is nice and dry, no issues there so the back is good. On the bow I have the anchor line cleat that is bolted throught the deck and then the bow eye which is underneath and through bolted. See pictures. I figure I will have to put a nylon strap under the bow eye to protect the hull and lift by that, is that what others do?

Also attached is a picture of the fuel system. Friday I was able to touch up the yellow paint to cover the 3m5200 adhesive. I then ran most of the wires into wire looms and secured them. Worked well except for the two power wires that run down to the fuel pumps and the connecting ground wires. Just looks a bit unfinished with the loose wires there. actually, after looking at the picture, I think I can bury that connecting ground most of the way in the conduit that runs to the bilge pump. That will clean it up some more. When I laid it out in my mind, it seemed a lot nicer looking than what I ended up with.....

Brian
Third pic...you have a lifting eye for the bow
Old 03-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Registered

finally crawled down below and yep, the bow cleat is connected down to the bottom keel, so good to go on lifting there.

Well, the SB motor is pretty much back together and ready to come off the engine stand and back onto a crate. Next week we will pull the other motor out to flip it over and check the crank on that one also as I did find evidence of water under the intake manifold. That and seal the head bolts!

While that is going on, I am starting my next projects. I tore apart the rear bench seat back top cushion as the wood was dry rotted and didn't hold the screws well. new pc of 3/4" ply has been cut and sealed with urethane, just need to pick up some vinyl and recover it.

Also bought the plywood to redo the top black trim pieces in the cockpit as they are also rotted I found. i climbed over the windshield once and being the clutz I am, my foot hit the black trim piece in front of the passenger and it cracked and deformed, so they all need to be redone. That should start this week also, and after doing the lower pieces I am not expecting too much trouble.

The project that might bite me is the dash. I am tearing that out to see what I can do. It was coming loose and the support wood underneath was cracked, so worried about it's strength with an oaf like me hanging on the wheel. Not really planning any dramatic changes as I do like the layout and the old school look. Just want to reinforce and it mount it back on square as it had shifted over the years. The one thing I do want to look into is rotating the steering wheel up some as being 6'5" tall it is a bit low for me.

Dang work is slowing us down! Hopefully I will have more "progress" pictures available this week.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails My new project - 86 - 272 LS-dsc01287.jpg   My new project - 86 - 272 LS-dsc01289.jpg  
Old 03-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Registered

Default Cockpit

Well, finally got some more demolition done, definately didn't like what I found.

First the simple one. The trim to the right of the drivers seat is shot and popped right off and the trim piece in front of the passenger seat was also bad as mentioned ealier. The right side piece pulled out leaving the screw behind along with some mulch. I used the old piece as a template and laid it out on some new 3/8" plywood. The back end was held together by the vinyl, not much to go on after it was removed! Still, new piece is traced out and the location of the mounting holes marked. Will cut it out, round off the outer edges and cover with 1/8 foam and new vinyl. Oh, new mounting studs first. And who in thier right mind secures the bimini mount to a piece of 1/2" plywood trim that is secured every 2' with #10 screws? It wasn't even through bolted, just two short wood screws into old thin plywood. Maybe that is why the boat didn't come with a bimini.

The piece in front of the passenger seat will be done similar. I think I will change it and not put the top fiberglass piece back in. That is actually a pretty nice deep pocket and all it was used for was two 1" deep cup holders that really wouldn't hold a soda securely. So I will change how that is done. The old piece was really bad, it wasn't even secured with the old screws, it had come off and was siliconed back on! Gotta love finding repairs like that, lets you know how the rest of the boat was done. But I am just about out of things to redo as there is not much original stuff left.
Attached Thumbnails My new project - 86 - 272 LS-dsc01294.jpg   My new project - 86 - 272 LS-dsc01292.jpg   My new project - 86 - 272 LS-dsc01295.jpg  

My new project - 86 - 272 LS-dsc01296.jpg  
Old 03-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Registered

Default Dash panel

The other thing I tackled was the dash panel. I hesitated on this one, but am glad I dug into it. It was shot and had been repaired in the past about as well as everything else. The outside housing is actually in good shape, as it is just the show surface with the vinyl on it. I think I may reuse that part. The internal structural part is what was scary. It had some aluminum pieces on the corners holding it together along with a corner bracket like you would buy at ACE. Not good.

Everything came apart so now I can start rebuilding. I think I may build a steel core into it to securely mount that to the fiberglass wall in front of it. I am not a small person and I want that steering wheel to be very securely mounted. I am not really impressed at how the dash was built, really kind of week. I mean, they were all done that way and plenty have held up, but it just seems like a sub par design. Kind of like the stringer system with how parts are left open but they are all touching to pass water right up through the structure.

As previously mentioned, I am also going to try rotating the wheel up some, so the lower dash panel will have to be split up into three pieces. The right side will hold all the switches. The left side will still have the two keys, but the lighter and clock will be removed and replaced with a kill switch for the tether. I never did that last year and really need to get that done.

So it is all tore apart, looks pretty scary, but time to start making it right! I am starting to think I should have named the boat "Mulch".
Attached Thumbnails My new project - 86 - 272 LS-dsc01291.jpg   My new project - 86 - 272 LS-dsc01293.jpg   My new project - 86 - 272 LS-dsc01297.jpg  

Old 03-06-2013, 01:45 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow!!! Lots of work
Old 03-06-2013, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I should have named the boat "Mulch".

I laughed for 5 minutes!!
Old 03-06-2013, 06:35 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

You may have Formula knocking on your door to go to work for them in their refurbishing program!!!!
OMG you have done a lot of work!!!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Registered

keep it going... i havent done much to my 255 here lately just got the engines basically all buttoned up... ive been where you are at with the hull though i sat inside of the cuddy cabinet under the dash of my 255 for god knows how long redoing wires and connections that where rigged over the years.... sad thing was everything worked like it should have to begin with someone just didnt know what they where doing.... keep at it itll pay off.... i hope mine runs this year as well been about 2 years now since i tore into it .. what area of indiana are you im just south of louisville ky
Old 03-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Registered

WOW....... Keep up the good work

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.