My new project - 86 - 272 LS

Notices
Formula

My new project - 86 - 272 LS

Old 03-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lets see:

1. I don't think Formula is going to pay me what I make as a plant manager to repair old boats! Granted I am at the bottom of the pay scale for plant managers, but I really do like my job and it has some nice benefits.

2. I live in the north east area of Indiana, no where close to Kentucky. There are a few formula owners in the Kentucky area.

3. Yeah, freakin hilarious John! I think I cried for 5 minutes while writing that! LOL. Hey, at least the transom is perfect!

4. Did more on the dash pieces on layout. Actually I was measuring the steering wheel mount when I noticed bolts holding it together. Never noticed before and then it hit me! These two pieces come apart and are made at a 10 degree angle. So I unbolt them, pivot them around and rebolt them, now my steering wheel mount is at 20 degrees instead of flat up and down vertical! Now to get the wheel at 30 degrees, I only need to change the console mount by 10 degrees. That made me happy!

5. Sometimes you just have to do something to help your moral, so I fired up the vinyl cutter and made a new sign for the back of the boat. I need to put that on a hat like I did in the late 80's for boating this summer.

6. crawled up into the bow area and there is the spot for a fresh water tank, but no tank. I remember the guy had taken it out and still had it, but it looked too scary to actually use so I left it behind. No idea how you filled it as there was not a hose. Might have been filled through the cap from inside, someone else will have to answer that one.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails My new project - 86 - 272 LS-dsc01306.jpg   My new project - 86 - 272 LS-dsc01299.jpg  
Old 03-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good work!!! Looks like you do a nice job on the lettering on the boat also!!!!!

I haven't put a name on my boat yet!! Nothing sounds right!!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Registered

Default Steering helm

Well, finally getting some progress done on the helm. Included a small picture of the helm from the for sale add as a reference. I spent some time measuring the boat and current setup and put it into CAD to help with the layout. Decided on a steel frame work that is through bolted to the fiberglass bulkhead at the front of the cockpit where the old helm was screwed to. The CAD layout helped me to see what the changes would be raising the mounting position a bit and then rotating the wheel upward (see pics)20. By rotating the steering, it lowered the steering mechanism under the dash about the same amount I raised the assembly, so clearance under the dash was not an issue. I am also pretty tall, so sight to the gauges should work out fine also. The other benefit is how much it raised the bottom of the wheel, which will give me some needed knee clearance when I am sitting down. Seems like a good cheap compromise to installing a tilt steering mechanism.
The frame work is made from 1/8 wall 1x1 square tubing and 1x1 or 1.5 x 1.5 angle. WAY stronger than the cut up ½ ply that was in there before. It is a two piece design with the main part being all one and the cross member under the steering wheel mount being removable so wires do not have to be cut or pulled for installing the lower dash panel with the switches and ignition keys on it. I epoxied the joints, sanded it and then primed it up. Since most of the frame is not visible, I am going with a satin black finish so it doesn’t stand out in the dash. This is important as I found out the hard way that the helm fiberglass is not all square and true. First time I went to fit the framework it went very badly. Rather depressing actually. But a couple of simple cuts and one of the two mounting legs was bent into the new position and it fits well now. Still, it is not as square as I would have liked, so any contrast in the finish will only draw attention to the non-parallel lines.
Tonight I was able to work on the boat for about an hour with my 7 year old daughter. She helped me with the through bolting by being inside the cabin with the screw driver. Tomorrow I will try to get a picture of the installed framework. I am hoping in the end it will look almost identical to stock, just be a bit better for my height and very strong!
Attached Thumbnails My new project - 86 - 272 LS-formula-272-86-nj-q.jpg   My new project - 86 - 272 LS-cimg3886.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Console original CAD.pdf (2.1 KB, 96 views)
File Type: pdf
Console CAD.pdf (2.3 KB, 395 views)
Old 03-26-2013, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by befu
Well, finally getting some progress done on the helm. Included a small picture of the helm from the for sale add as a reference. I spent some time measuring the boat and current setup and put it into CAD to help with the layout. Decided on a steel frame work that is through bolted to the fiberglass bulkhead at the front of the cockpit where the old helm was screwed to. The CAD layout helped me to see what the changes would be raising the mounting position a bit and then rotating the wheel upward (see pics)20. By rotating the steering, it lowered the steering mechanism under the dash about the same amount I raised the assembly, so clearance under the dash was not an issue. I am also pretty tall, so sight to the gauges should work out fine also. The other benefit is how much it raised the bottom of the wheel, which will give me some needed knee clearance when I am sitting down. Seems like a good cheap compromise to installing a tilt steering mechanism.
The frame work is made from 1/8 wall 1x1 square tubing and 1x1 or 1.5 x 1.5 angle. WAY stronger than the cut up ½ ply that was in there before. It is a two piece design with the main part being all one and the cross member under the steering wheel mount being removable so wires do not have to be cut or pulled for installing the lower dash panel with the switches and ignition keys on it. I epoxied the joints, sanded it and then primed it up. Since most of the frame is not visible, I am going with a satin black finish so it doesn’t stand out in the dash. This is important as I found out the hard way that the helm fiberglass is not all square and true. First time I went to fit the framework it went very badly. Rather depressing actually. But a couple of simple cuts and one of the two mounting legs was bent into the new position and it fits well now. Still, it is not as square as I would have liked, so any contrast in the finish will only draw attention to the non-parallel lines.
Tonight I was able to work on the boat for about an hour with my 7 year old daughter. She helped me with the through bolting by being inside the cabin with the screw driver. Tomorrow I will try to get a picture of the installed framework. I am hoping in the end it will look almost identical to stock, just be a bit better for my height and very strong!
I have to say.... I am impressed with your ingenuity!!
Old 03-27-2013, 02:48 PM
Registered

Default Helm continued....

So today I got out there and finished securing the framework and the original black finish housing. Moved a couple of spots to get it to line up better and I am rather happy with the results. It still needs to be finished up and cleaned, but it is going to work out very nice.

I ended up using some 10-24 button head cap screws to secure the panels and that gives it a nice look. I also fitted the repainted steering mount at the new level. The lower panel went on no problem also. Now I have to make the bottom tie piece that will bolt on and drill new holes in the lower panel for the steering mount bolts. I will also need a filler piece to cover the old hole that is now lower. Finish painting it and on to the next project.

When I look at the original wood structure with what I replaced, I do not think this one will ever need to be redone! I was worried once I had it torn apart and things were not fitting, but now that it is in and everything is now square, I am very happy with it. Also had to add my "splash of yellow" to the helm!

One of these days I am going to start on my radical cockpit redesign!

Brian
Attached Thumbnails My new project - 86 - 272 LS-dsc01316.jpg   My new project - 86 - 272 LS-dsc01317.jpg   My new project - 86 - 272 LS-dsc01318.jpg  

Old 03-31-2013, 07:32 PM
Registered

Default Backwards progress

Well, it seems odd to call it progress, but work done is progress, correct?

So over the last week I got tired of moving a forklift around and moving the boat to reposition it. So we got an I-beam, trolley and a chain fall. Kinda basic but we really like it. It is very smooth and just simple. Will be great for bobcats and forklift work (that is what it was really for anyways).

That took some time, but at the end of the week we still managed to use it to pull the other motor out for a look see and repair also. This one had a manifold leak and one of the valves rusted, so the head is coming off for a quick lap and then back together. Brand new GLM manifolds going back on also! Gaskets should be in on Wednesday, so maybe it will go in at end of week or at the beginning of the next week. But still kind of poetic that April 1st has come around and this is what the bilge looks like.... But other motor is on a crate and ready to go back in this week.

Helm also got mounted up, the bottom piece made and painted by the end of last week. While the helm looks like it went backwards, it came apart for final painting, tapping of panel screws and drilling some holes. So this week it goes back together for the final time.

After that it will be back to finishing the trim, clean the cockpit surfaces up and mount the trim panels. finish the back seat remounting and it is onto the front half of the boat.

By the time May rolls around, I really want it to be in a running form. Still projects to do, but the controls and propulsion should be ready to go. At that point, it will be smaller tuning projects as far as motors go. Larger cabin projects can be worked on around boat use then. At least that is the plan and what keeps me going now.

Progress should also pick up as life is a "bit" easier now. Thursday we had 14 people in the house. Today we are now down to just 7. Feels great to have our small family back. After 9 months foster kids moved back with a parent which is great, and today the four young men that were staying with us for a drama camp went back home. Drama camp is over, no more public school issues, just our five kids!!!! Let the projects commence!

Brian
Attached Thumbnails My new project - 86 - 272 LS-dsc01320.jpg   My new project - 86 - 272 LS-dsc01322.jpg   My new project - 86 - 272 LS-dsc01324.jpg  

Old 03-31-2013, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by befu
Well, it seems odd to call it progress, but work done is progress, correct?

So over the last week I got tired of moving a forklift around and moving the boat to reposition it. So we got an I-beam, trolley and a chain fall. Kinda basic but we really like it. It is very smooth and just simple. Will be great for bobcats and forklift work (that is what it was really for anyways).

That took some time, but at the end of the week we still managed to use it to pull the other motor out for a look see and repair also. This one had a manifold leak and one of the valves rusted, so the head is coming off for a quick lap and then back together. Brand new GLM manifolds going back on also! Gaskets should be in on Wednesday, so maybe it will go in at end of week or at the beginning of the next week. But still kind of poetic that April 1st has come around and this is what the bilge looks like.... But other motor is on a crate and ready to go back in this week.

Helm also got mounted up, the bottom piece made and painted by the end of last week. While the helm looks like it went backwards, it came apart for final painting, tapping of panel screws and drilling some holes. So this week it goes back together for the final time.

After that it will be back to finishing the trim, clean the cockpit surfaces up and mount the trim panels. finish the back seat remounting and it is onto the front half of the boat.

By the time May rolls around, I really want it to be in a running form. Still projects to do, but the controls and propulsion should be ready to go. At that point, it will be smaller tuning projects as far as motors go. Larger cabin projects can be worked on around boat use then. At least that is the plan and what keeps me going now.

Progress should also pick up as life is a "bit" easier now. Thursday we had 14 people in the house. Today we are now down to just 7. Feels great to have our small family back. After 9 months foster kids moved back with a parent which is great, and today the four young men that were staying with us for a drama camp went back home. Drama camp is over, no more public school issues, just our five kids!!!! Let the projects commence!

Brian
Brian,

We all have things that we do that "interrupt" our restoration progress but my hat is off to you and your wife for serving as foster parents. You are a few of the unheralded people in this country that un selfishly give of them selves and their home to accommodate those that are disenfranchised. The fact that you have time to squeeze in a project the magnitude of yours is amazing!

Keep it up and keep the pics coming.

I like the hoist set up.

At least you don't have some a hole stealing your stuff before you get it together
Old 04-01-2013, 10:25 PM
Registered

Yeah John, couldn't believe it when you posted what happened to your boat.

Brought some of the work home with me tonight. My youngest boating girl decide to crawl up on a chair and help me out with cutting the foam! Got the starboard side upper trim piece finished up tonight. Might get it bolted back on tomorrow.

I started the tim pieces with some thinner plywood as I wanted to cover them with 1/8" foam padding before the vinyl. After tearing out the old pieces, I used them as templates to cut the new ones. I marked the mounting holes on the new pieces of wood and then used a 1" spade bit to make a recessed hole for an elevator bolt (or recessed bolt). After chamfering the holes for the bolt shoulder, I epoxied the bolts in. A little bondo over the bolt heads and they were sanded smooth for several coats of urethane sealant. No way these bolts are going to pull through or out like the original ones did.

With the bolts secured, holes finished off smooth and the wood sealed, it was time to wrap them. I used 1/8" closed cell foam to wrap them in stapling it on the backside. I tried not to overlap it too far leaving a small void in the middle. This way once the trim is tightened up into place, hopefully the outside edges pull up tight. It also gave me a spot to wrap the vinyl to and get those staples to sit down lower than the outside edges. I put the vinyl over the bottom edge first so the top wrap overlaps it. That way if any water drips down behind the trim piece, it will shed it like shingles and not direct it into the assembly. Will it work? Only time will tell I guess.

I will have to get pics tomorrow of the installed trim. We are also planning on installing the starboard motor tomorrow also. Exciting when you start putting it back together!

Brian
Attached Thumbnails My new project - 86 - 272 LS-cimg3882.jpg   My new project - 86 - 272 LS-cimg3883.jpg   My new project - 86 - 272 LS-cimg3884.jpg  

My new project - 86 - 272 LS-cimg3885.jpg   My new project - 86 - 272 LS-cimg3955.jpg  
Old 04-05-2013, 03:41 PM
Registered

Work has been keeping me busy and away from my toy. Plus it is getting warm out so the camper will go home next week to get ready for another season of camping.

Put the starboard motor back in place. It is not aligned yet, but it is sitting in where it belongs again.

Not so good news on the port motor. The block is pretty much scrap now. Seems when my risers leaked water in, some was sitting in the cylinder. Pitted the cylinder up pretty good on #4. So my backup motor just became my port motor. Of course, it isn't together so we will start that next phase of the project. What stinks is this is the used mercruiser motor that I picked up that was almost new. Had water go through it before so I put new bearings on it and added the vortec heads. Oh well, the cam and lifters are still good. Crank, rods and pistons are good also. Basically everything except the block. Well, I will put new main bearings in it either way.

It sucks, but at least this is my only serious project. Camper is still like new. All three suburbans run fine, my Impalla SS is back on the road for summer, house is back down to 5 kids and getting cleaned back to normal quickly. So at least I only have this one serious iron in the fire right now. It is a boat, how bad could it be??????

So another delay.....
Brian
Old 04-05-2013, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trim pieces look great Brian! Sorry to hear about your motor, good thing you have a back up!

Billy

Oh, Im hoping to get those heads out to you tomorrow or Monday at the latest. Trying to figure out how to ship them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.