Notices
Formula

My new project - 86 - 272 LS

Old 09-05-2014, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Car Biz;4183583]
Originally Posted by befu
Boats.... I should have gotten into something less costly and stressful on the family. Like coke and whores maybe....

Brian[/QUOTE

So true buddy so true
Yeah, I remember your motor saga.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:26 PM
Registered

Well, I thought this was going to be the week. Monday my oldest son was grounded for not having homework done, so I didn't go out with my two sons to test the boat. No big deal, Tuesday was forecast at partly sunny and 79 degrees. We would just head out in the afternoon and cruise around. Anchor at the sand bar and do some swimming, just a day on the water. Wife was going to come up around 1pm and we head out.

Well after noon I call her and tell her never mind. It is like 68 degrees and completely cloud covered. In the distance you can see some clouds starting to dump rain. She had the kids in jeans and jackets to prep for going out. No sense in torturing them, so forget it. Crushed the 3 year old, she is a speed freak.

All this work and I ran it at speed for about 4 minutes. Not my year. Next Friday is supposed to warm back up, maybe I will test it then. Really want to run it once more at least before I winterize it. Can I do that without pulling the motors?
Old 09-16-2014, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Brian. Sure hope she stays together for ya.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:43 PM
Registered

Well, sure wasn't the year for boating I guess. Never did make it back out. I have no reason to suspect the motors are not good, but this does lead to another problem. I have to winterize it this year! Can you do that without pulling the motors? I had my wife convinced that pulling them every winter was the norm. Now what?

Brian
Old 02-14-2015, 06:25 PM
Registered

Default Flat glass is back!!!!!

So I went to the boat show and what do you know? Found a brand new boat that had flat glass! Is retro coming back in? It really surprised me to see a flat glass boat like this. had to do one of the rare selfies of myself! LOL.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]537090[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails My new project - 86 - 272 LS-img_2359.jpg   My new project - 86 - 272 LS-img_2359.jpg  

Last edited by befu; 02-14-2015 at 06:29 PM. Reason: pic upside down
Old 02-14-2015, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow...flat black powder coated window frames!..Coincidentally I have a replacement set of frames being done the same way as I write this.

Brian...what boat is this...just curious.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:51 PM
Registered

I think it was a sea Ray. I put on a fake mustache and sunglasses as we walked through the bay liner section, didn't want to be seen there......

Just checked. 19 spx series by sea Ray.

Last edited by befu; 02-14-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:40 AM
Registered

Well, not much to report over the last year. As mentioned earlier, last year was a bust boating wise. We camped a ton and when we were home, the weather was terrible. To recap last summer: The boat ran, but only ran it on plane about 2 miles. Heard a tick, shut down that motor and idled back in. It ended up being the #1 cylinder exhaust rocker came loose. So I reset that and it started fine. Still, something was bothering me on that motor as the oil pressure was too high and it didn’t sound right. I removed the drives for the winter and maintenance, so I was able to start the motors a few times over the winter just to keep the oil spread out on them. The building is heated where stored, so never really got below 50 in there.

Recently, I finally dug back in to the motors. I wanted to go over all the rockers to check clearance. When I pulled the valve cover, I noticed most of the new rockers had oil cooked onto them like they were really hot (starboard). Pulled the cover on the other motor and the lifters looked new. So now I know my high oil pressure (70+) is a problem and my lifters are not getting oil up to the rocker arms. So I start checking things out and I find that my remote oil filter is backwards. No idea how long it has been like that, I did not take the hoses off of it last winter, so I can only assume my old mechanic had it that way from the beginning? Or maybe I did it, not sure. But it was backwards and the filters have the anti-drain back valves in them (ADBV). So I checked the rockers, changed the hoses and did several cranking sessions on it to build pressure. Oil finally started coming out of 15 of the 16 pushrods. So I started it back up. Did much better, imagine that, even sounded pretty good. Problem is the exhaust on cylinder #2 still did not get oil to the rocker. I had already manually oiled the rockers, so wasn’t worried about further damage, but the lifters are just not pushing oil like they are supposed to.

Along the odd cylinder bank, the exhaust valve on 1 (end lifter) had great oil flow. About half the lifters flow oil well, another quarter marginally and the last 4 not at all or minimal. But they are all over, so not like the passage is blocked at some point. Oil comes from the back and goes forward through the lifter galley, so if end one has it, they all have it. Inspected the rockers and as expected, there was some galling on the rocker balls.

So the motor starts, idles great after resetting the choke, and sounds much much better. Oil pressure is right at 40 – 45 psi after fixing the hoses also. So I ordered new GM roller lifters and a new set of roller tip rockers for the motor along with new intake gaskets. Hope to fix all that over the next couple of days, test fire them and then put the drives back on.

I removed the drives because I have not done any maintenance to them since putting them on. So this year I split them apart for new water pumps. Well, I found out the lower oil seal in the upper housing was bad on both drives. One had a small amount of water in oil, the other looked fine just a bit dirty. So I replaced the two oil seals and need to finish up one water pump. Put them back together and then install them after the motor is done.

Everything else is fine, just haven’t worked on it much. Trailer bearings are all greased and reset, tires good. Added an air inflator for the tubes or kayaks for kids. Wired to battery with inline fuse and the connector is in the side compartment of the cockpit. Makes it easy to pull the inflator out, plug it in and use it without having to open anything else up. Most of my winter was taken up working on the house and my interest in my 1963 Hydrodyne custom deluxe! Got the new core in the floor and am just trying to secure a 1960 to 1980 volvo 4 cylinder engine now for it. Haven’t done much this spring or early summer due to how wet it has been.

Well, that is about it for now, will have to see how that motor held up. I suspect the damage is limited to the lifters and rockers. Having that much oil pressure in the main rear line means the rods and crank should be fine. Definitely seems fine and never ran it hard. It just never ends…..
Old 07-16-2015, 09:08 PM
Registered

So putting a post in the technical section as I am not getting oil to the rocker arms on the starboard motor.... No idea, but a long description is posted there.

Added link to other thread....

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ion-sorry.html

Last edited by befu; 07-17-2015 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:52 AM
Registered

So posted about the no oil to rockers in the starboard motor. Right now the main push is the 50 weight oil I am running. 20w-50 or 15w-50, will have to look. It is also non-synthetic oil, so maybe even thicker at room temp?

The other problem I discovered on the hose is somehow I cracked the plastic water transfer tube on the inside of the starboard transom assembly. Sitting there staring at that, all I could see was the instructions starting with: "Step one, remove everything from the bow lights back......"

Well, the outdrive came right off, no problem there. Trim senders are removed, just have to go find my pin tool to pull those. I just put in a new gimbal bearing and aligned it, so no concern there. I have two or three extra transom assemblies floating around here, so I have the spare parts for it. Just not an easy access situation.

Other than that, both motors started, idled and sounded fantastic! Got the new tire on from last years blowout, so all the rims are yellow again. Trailer pulled fine, bearings are cool, looks ready there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.