My new project - 86 - 272 LS >

My new project - 86 - 272 LS

Notices
Formula

My new project - 86 - 272 LS

Old 04-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GOOD JOB BRIAN!!! you have some f'in patience my friend!
Old 04-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Brian...what electric fuel pumps have you chosen for your L 31's?
Old 04-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sprink58
Brian...what electric fuel pumps have you chosen for your L 31's?
Just got it today, now having second thoughts. I purchased a holley red marine 8011 pump. Pushes plenty of fuel, good pump. I was going to mount it above the tank and run it into a fuel seperator. The fuel seperator has two exits available so I would run that to each carb. Put a shutoff valve on each out line at the fuel seperator just in case I needed to isolate an engine. Seems like it would work pretty easy. run the pump from a switch on the dashboard fed by the ignition so it could be shut off if I have the ignition on. Could also run a pressure switch in series to turn it on and off, but I believe they are designed to just run all the time.

my biggest concern on it is if one pump dies, the boat is dead. So now I have to carry at least a spare with me, seems kinda silly. What to do, what to do.... Didn't think this one out all the way.

What are you going to do?

Brian
Old 04-09-2012, 10:18 PM
Registered

I am considering this Carter pump. It is used by Crusader and Marine Power for their low pressure Carbureted engines.

http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/pc/BPIELFPKIT/MERELECFP-IB

I am thinking that a pair will mount any where...like on the front bulkhead of the bilge along with a pair of Water Separators. Since it's low pressure, I don't think it requires a return line.

The Holley idea is a good one...but I agree...there should be an independent pump and separator for each engine. My tank has dual outlets...one for each engine.

I have been trying to look at early Cigarettes and Apaches that are Carbureted to see how they are rigged.

What do you think?
The following users liked this post:
BigSobe (08-06-2022)
Old 04-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Registered

Sprink, I am less concerned with one seperator. Both lines come from the same tank, so if one gets gas with water, both will. The one pump is only from a reliability standpoint. Of course, our cars run with only one and these Holley's should run for years of car use without failure. If I put a few hundred hours on the boat during the time I own it, the pump would still be considered almost new, should run for thousands of hours.

Not sure on the specs of the one you posted, doesn't give any information. I know we need low pressure given we have carbs. I know the holley one is designed to run without a return line, it will just peak at 7 psi with no flow. No pressure regulator required it states.

I made a rough high guess on estimating fuel demand. 70 mph at 1.75 mpg gives 40 gallons per hour max for both motors. My boat will NOT go 70 with 600 HP, so if I can push near 40 gph it will work great. The holley does 71 at 4 psi, so no issues there for both motors.

The other thing I did not like about the oil pressure switch is if your carbs are empty, they will not start. If they will not start, will you cranking it give enough oil pressure to close the oil pressure switch allowing the fuel pump to run getting fuel to the bowls? (Note, this is incorrect. Saw the schematic for the pressure switch and it is a NO/NC switch. The NC takes a hot lead from the starter, so while motor is cranking and there is no oil pressure, the pump will run. Makes sense now, just wanted to update this post)
If you want to use two fuel pumps, I would go with two smaller pumps. Even your motors should only need 25 gallons per hour each. You could get two fuel pumps for the same or less money than the one you have listed. Plumb them up to run each motor. You could even put a crossover with a valve between them, so if you loose one, open the valve and run both carbs off of the one running pump to get you home at a good cruise speed. Just ideas.

Get the specs on the pump before you buy one.

Brian

Last edited by befu; 04-11-2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: added info on oil pressure switch for fuel pump
Old 04-10-2012, 02:50 PM
Registered

Well, I decided to pull the second transom assembly since the trim position sender wires were rotted. Both transom assemblies pulled, I guess I should clean it up some. So scrubbed off the bottom paint over most of it and used some epoxy surface coat to smooth out where the outdrive bolts had deformed the transom over the years. So now I get to start sanding and painting the transom so I can put assemblies back on. Oh the fun!

Got more electrical work done on the boat also. Some LED lights in the cockpit, some terminal blocks in the engine compartment and running wires for the new bilge pump and fuel pump. Navigation lights are not working yet, so that is next.

Brian

Old 04-10-2012, 11:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by befu
Sprink, I am less concerned with one seperator. Both lines come from the same tank, so if one gets gas with water, both will. The one pump is only from a reliability standpoint. Of course, our cars run with only one and these Holley's should run for years of car use without failure. If I put a few hundred hours on the boat during the time I own it, the pump would still be considered almost new, should run for thousands of hours.

Not sure on the specs of the one you posted, doesn't give any information. I know we need low pressure given we have carbs. I know the holley one is designed to run without a return line, it will just peak at 7 psi with no flow. No pressure regulator required it states.

I made a rough high guess on estimating fuel demand. 70 mph at 1.75 mpg gives 40 gallons per hour max for both motors. My boat will NOT go 70 with 600 HP, so if I can push near 40 gph it will work great. The holley does 71 at 4 psi, so no issues there for both motors.

The other thing I did not like about the oil pressure switch is if your carbs are empty, they will not start. If they will not start, will you cranking it give enough oil pressure to close the oil pressure switch allowing the fuel pump to run getting fuel to the bowls?

If you want to use two fuel pumps, I would go with two smaller pumps. Even your motors should only need 25 gallons per hour each. You could get two fuel pumps for the same or less money than the one you have listed. Plumb them up to run each motor. You could even put a crossover with a valve between them, so if you loose one, open the valve and run both carbs off of the one running pump to get you home at a good cruise speed. Just ideas.

Get the specs on the pump before you buy one.

Brian
I think a pair of these will do it for me:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/B.../?autoview=SKU

I am going to run a new circuit for fuel pumps with a separate switch at the helm. I will put a an independent water separator down stream of each of the pumps then plumb over to each engine. Right now I am figuring to mount these on either side of the fuel tank on the forward bilge bulkhead. I want to use dual separators...one for each engine...to reduce resistance in fuel delivery. Low fuel pressure/lean condition will damage one of these engines in short order.

I am also setting up a pair of these http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/p.../turbo-4000-ii 4" inline bilge blowers. I am real picky about gasoline fumes and think that at 100 CFM each I will totally exchange the air in the bilge every 90 seconds.

Seems like as I'm putting this thing back together I find more and more that I want to change or upgrade. For example...my compass is a serious POS and I'm going to replace it. Some younger guys I boat with laugh at "The Old Man" and ask if I ever heard of GPS. I don't think they could plot a course on a chart if their life depended on it...much less run it. I don't care...I want a good compensated compass.

The weather around here is absolutely perfect...seas 2' or less all the way to the Bahamas and water temps are right at 80 degrees. I really do need to get to work and get on the water.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sprink58
I am also setting up a pair of these http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/p.../turbo-4000-ii 4" inline bilge blowers. I am real picky about gasoline fumes and think that at 100 CFM each I will totally exchange the air in the bilge every 90 seconds.
Those blowers are nice, I am using a pair of them as electric superchargers on my engines. Supposed to make them 1200 HP each from the advertisement I saw here on OSO. Internet couldn't be wrong, could it?

Just kidding... I have two 3" blowers in mine right now that I still need to check out, have not got to that circuit yet. Looks fine, just haven't checked it yet. maybe today or tomorrow. I understand about getting into it and finding more and more things to check. mine all started because I wanted to pull the heads to do a valve job....

Your fuel pumps will be nice, those are what I am using. All my boating will be done on inland lakes and close to shore. Two fuel pumps would make me feel much better about ocean running.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:50 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are determined SOB'S! Sprink I'm still waiting for the shiny finished Liberator. I've basically followed your threads since I joined OSO! I agree, you need to finish!
Old 04-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by machloosy
You guys are determined SOB'S! Sprink I'm still waiting for the shiny finished Liberator. I've basically followed your threads since I joined OSO! I agree, you need to finish!
Well...it's shiny enough to be sure...I just need to go ahead and put all these parts together and get going. Problem is...I've got this little thing going on known as a JOB...that occupies a great portion of my time. Now that I'm on the cusp of putting things together, I have to spend 2: full weekends this month in classes to maintain Continuing Education Units...to maintain Licensure so I can do that job.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.