Fastech LED Cockpit Lights

Notices
Formula

Fastech LED Cockpit Lights

Old 01-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fastech LED Cockpit Lights

I've wanted to change over my cockpit lighting to LED (probably blue) for some time. I'm sure some of you have done it, I've looked at various brands. How difficult is it? Do I need to add balasts or some kind of module or is it as simple as cut wires, mount lights and rewire?
Old 01-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Registered

Default Killer LED Lighting

Originally Posted by sleek1
I've wanted to change over my cockpit lighting to LED (probably blue) for some time. I'm sure some of you have done it, I've looked at various brands. How difficult is it? Do I need to add balasts or some kind of module or is it as simple as cut wires, mount lights and rewire?
I have some ideas!
Old 01-19-2012, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do have options.

1. The cheaper and easier option is that you can simply replace the bulbs in the existing lights with LED's. Check out superbrightleds.com. It's as simple as pull the old bulb out and put the new bulb in. All for under $50. What you'll need are:

(2) Miniture Wedge Base Bulbs (For lights up front at floor level)
(3) 1142 Dual Contact BA15 Base Bulbs (2 for the side compartments, 1 for up under the dash.)

2. The more expensive and time consuming option would be to search the internet for a complete replacement LED light and housing. Which you'll have to redo your wiring and heat shrink to waterproof your connections. You might also have to drill a larger hole to accomodate the new light housing.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Registered

Check out how cool they look 37 Active Thunder

https://picasaweb.google.com/1159749.../ActiveThunder
Old 01-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Splitdecision271
Check out superbrightleds.com. It's as simple as pull the old bulb out and put the new bulb in. All for under $50. What you'll need are:

(3) 1142 Dual Contact BA15 Base Bulbs (2 for the side compartments, 1 for up under the dash.)...
Bingo. Cheap, quick, good results. Before and after:
Attached Thumbnails Fastech LED Cockpit Lights-p1010152.jpg   Fastech LED Cockpit Lights-p1010153.jpg   Fastech LED Cockpit Lights-p1010155.jpg  

Fastech LED Cockpit Lights-p1010154.jpg  
Old 01-20-2012, 01:06 AM
Registered

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm8h9hLqPjs

If you want to go overboard here is a link to what I did. Put RGB million color led's in all the speakers, cup holders, back engine vents and under bench seats. Control it all with a remote. Can do any color you want. Set any color combo you want. Has music interface as well. Used acrylic rings behind all the speakers and cup holders. I think it turned out pretty cool.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Splitdecision271
You do have options.

1. The cheaper and easier option is that you can simply replace the bulbs in the existing lights with LED's. Check out superbrightleds.com. It's as simple as pull the old bulb out and put the new bulb in. All for under $50. What you'll need are:

(3) 1142 Dual Contact BA15 Base Bulbs (2 for the side compartments, 1 for up under the dash.)

2. The more expensive and time consuming option would be to search the internet for a complete replacement LED light and housing. Which you'll have to redo your wiring and heat shrink to waterproof your connections. You might also have to drill a larger hole to accomodate the new light housing.
I think this is the ticket for me. I'm looking for something more sedate than the other set ups. Thanks for all the pics and videos. Therapy Session your set up is wild! Good job on the install. I would get into trouble with my wife if I had a light show like that on my boat... thinking strippers, lots of strippers
Old 01-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Registered

Anyone have a part number for the miniature wedge base bulbs?
Old 01-20-2012, 01:05 PM
Registered

led wholesalers is another option. most of mine came from superbright but the few i couldn't find i got from them.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Registered

I think this is the ticket for me. I'm looking for something more sedate than the other set ups. Thanks for all the pics and videos. Therapy Session your set up is wild! Good job on the install. I would get into trouble with my wife if I had a light show like that on my boat... thinking strippers, lots of strippers
Yes you are correct. The women do gravitate to the music and lights