'79 Formula 255 Liberator Update

Notices
Formula

'79 Formula 255 Liberator Update

Old 12-27-2012, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
Merry Christmas from the 26th Parallel!! High today 80*...seas 2'...water temp 78*.

[IMG][/IMG]

Christmas Day bath before heading down to Ft. Lauderdale to drop in engines and drives. She'll be 35 in August according to the HIN#...unbelievable

You got to hand it to the Formulas...they just keep coming back for more.
John,

I really like this pic, boat is looking awesome!!!
Old 12-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Diego9040
John,

I really like this pic, boat is looking awesome!!!
Thanks...I think you and I have a weakness for the same "look".
Old 12-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
Thanks...I think you and I have a weakness for the same "look".
No doubt,

Looking forward to meeting you on the water soon !!!
Old 12-28-2012, 10:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Diego9040
No doubt,

Looking forward to meeting you on the water soon !!!
Me too...went by the shop in Ft. Lauderdale today...working out some Bravo Drive compatibility issues. I should get it resolved next week.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:17 PM
Registered

Default Update

Working thru SBC Cam Timing Gremlins. You would think that after a hundred million copies of the SBC everybody that touches these things would have the fundamentals down!!!

Never assume anything!!

Both engines are running but tuning is incomplete...stay tuned.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been watching for an update from you. I hate engine gremlins....

I thought the engines were run in on the dyno and you had spec sheets? What is up, timing off for your application? I remember reading up on that whole advancing or retarding the timing thing, what a pain. I take it they are on stands still? Post a vid please, I need a fix up here in the frozen north.

What carbs you running, ever get the holleys?

Brian
Old 01-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by befu

I thought the engines were run in on the dyno and you had spec sheets? What is up, timing off for your application? I remember reading up on that whole advancing or retarding the timing thing, what a pain. I take it they are on stands still? Post a vid please, I need a fix up here in the frozen north.

Brian
Check your PM...too much stuff for the thread.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by befu

Brian
when i spoke to john last week he said that the timing marks were all over the place...he needs another shim under the gear on the dist to keep the gear from going up and down..
Old 01-14-2013, 07:33 PM
Registered

Default Update

Finally got to the bottom of the problem.

... We still had an issue with what is being labeled the "Port" engine. No mater what we do, we couldn't get the engine to run consistently on all 8. No 8 cylinder is dead until we get to 1800 RPM then it kicks in. We checked everything...manifold gaskets, carb gaskets, put a kit in the carb, so on etc. Acts like a vacuum leak, adjusted the valves again and found that 8 was tight but not too tight. I asked Tommy Hoffstetter and another builder and we decided that it's retarded cam timing...that has manifested itself in to a high oil temp scenario also...after 30 min run time on the hose it showed 200* oil temp at the remote filter and at the adapter plate on the block...too hot on the hose with no load.

...so the original builder that I bought engines from came over Monday AM to take a look. He might have to pull all the externals off, put a degree wheel on the motor as well as a dial gauge on the rocker arms and set the cams up again....all on his dime (warranty).

So...we pulled the accessories off the front and checked the cam timing...it was spot on. I didn't say it but my mechanic did..."got to be the intake". Keep in mind this is a new in the box Edelbrock Performer Air Gap manifold. Off it came and replaced it with another just like it...put it all back together...
....and now it runs great!!! No more hot oil...runs about 135~140* on the hose....must have really been leaning out.

This is a short video taken with my phone.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPztW7ilgwo&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]

I'll get some better video later....but we're moving quickly now.

Tommy told me that in his 25+ years of dealing with high performance engines this is the second time he has seen a casting sand hole in an intake manifold. It was on number 8 runner on the bottom of the intake over the lifter gallery. Go figure that I would be the one to buy an intake with a sand hole in it!!

This is why I suggest to always run engines before they go in the boat. I wouldn't dream of doing all of this with both engines installed!!

Last edited by sprink58; 01-14-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy cow, all that chasing and work, people double checking there work are it comes down to a manufacturing flaw in a good name brand product. I paid extra for my holley pump as compared to like the summit brand, and what do I get? A chipped magnet that causes it to jam and stop when it warms up stranding me on the lake three times. What a pain.

But like you said, at least you got it figured out before installing them in the boat.

Motor sounds great, what are you going to do with the carbs???????????????

Brian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.