'79 Formula 255 Liberator Update

Notices
Formula

'79 Formula 255 Liberator Update

Old 02-11-2013, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
Way cool! About like being 10 yrs old on Christmas eve when you're that close to splashing a true labor of love.

That 255 w/big blocks would be fun to snoop through.

BTW, on your Sea Ray story, I was in the owner of Hydromtovie Propellers office several yrs ago and he has an ancient 8 x 10 on the wall of a probably late '70's or very early '80's 18' Sea Ray hauling the mail. Perfect attitude of attack and only the prop in the water. I think he told me twin turbo power and had it in the 90's. Think of what a sleeper that thing would be especially back in the day.

Sorry to hear you got screwed on a lower unit. Been there, done that.

Hurry up w/the pix's of it in the water.
Thanks for your thoughts. I feel like I'm running in a circle with my shoe nailed to the floor trying to get this rig moving.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:35 AM
Registered

Received 1,910 Likes on 745 Posts
Default I can relate.

Originally Posted by sprink58
I feel like I'm running in a circle with my shoe nailed to the floor trying to get this rig moving.
My Sonic just about broke me.Disaster after disaster.
I actually dropped the damned thing about 3' when unloading it off the trailer, upside down. Deck was prepped for paint until then.
I seriously considered a quart of gas and a lit match that night.

Or the day I was ready to start blowing paint until my black, harbor freight air hose kept exploding from the Florida sun. Every time it did, it blew dirt all over the boat. Repair the hose and re-prep the boat. Did that, I think 3 times in one day.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:03 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

How's everything going John? Any updates?
Old 02-15-2013, 11:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
How's everything going John? Any updates?
Nothing new...waiting on show and Poker Run to clear town so everybody can get back to work on non exotic boats.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:54 PM
Registered

Gotcha. Wish I was home to go check out the show. Can't wait to get over to that one.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:26 PM
Registered

So I was with my mechanic checking a few things out today and i really started looking at this boat...especially the Free Board. I crawled up into the cockpit looking at the transom, the bulkhead between the bilge and the cockpit and the distance between the cockpit sole and the gunwale. We both were looking at the same thing and we looked at each other. Then it hit me like a flash...
Flush out the cockpit sole and take it almost all the way to the transom. Build out the area below the short rear deck and take advantage of 5'~6' more cockpit room!!

The 255's have enough depth and free board that the engines can be below the cockpit floor!! I could then have an access hatch in the floor and a lounge/couch all the way across the rear of the cockpit.

This is really simple stuff and if I set it up correctly I will have 15' of cockpit from the forward bulkhead/helm to the transom!! That's like having the cockpit room of a 35 footer.

I could even set the rear couch up as a fold out that would make the ultimate sun pad/lounger!!

I could even take the rear couch out if i wanted and fish out of this thing!!! Damn!!!

The wheels of innovation are turning!!

Stay tuned
Old 02-27-2013, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

While I applaud your innovation and ambition, that thing needs to hit the water!!!! Stop finding more projects!! Lol, good thoughts John!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:31 PM
Registered

Oh it's going in the water before that stuff happens!! There is a load of goodies coming out of New Jersey over the next few days that includes my one missing drive that I need...then we go.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
Flush out the cockpit sole and take it almost all the way to the transom. Build out the area below the short rear deck and take advantage of 5'~6' more cockpit room!!

The wheels of innovation are turning!!
I like the way you think about changing the boat layout. After cutting the seat back out of my 272, I am getting more ambitious to make changes....

Brian
Old 02-27-2013, 11:02 PM
Registered

Damn John. That sounds like a good bit of work. We fish from mine occasionally but I refuse to mount rod holders. Hahaha. Do it mostly for the kids.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.