'79 Formula 255 Liberator Update

Notices
Formula

'79 Formula 255 Liberator Update

Old 02-28-2013, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Damn John. That sounds like a good bit of work. We fish from mine occasionally but I refuse to mount rod holders. Hahaha. Do it mostly for the kids.
Not that big of a deal actually. I just need to frame out an opening with structural aluminum, cut a hatch from Starboard, then re work the rear couch to fit in the back.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
Not that big of a deal actually. I just need to frame out an opening with structural aluminum, cut a hatch from Starboard, then re work the rear couch to fit in the back.
Ambitious. Can't wait to see it. I know your dying to splash this thing though. You have done an awesome job with it. When ya expect to sea trial the new set up?
Old 02-28-2013, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ambitious? Naw.

It's just a mechanical engineer thing........

Brian
Old 02-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by befu
Ambitious? Naw.

It's just a mechanical engineer thing........

Brian
Brian...I knew you would get it!! It's FREE floor space. This pic show what the boats from the mid '70's looked like.

[IMG][/IMG]

This arrangement frees up a lot of space. Of course I will certainly up date the design but you get the idea.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:25 PM
Registered

Default Family Resemblance

Wow....I wonder where john Adams at Formula ever got the inspiration for the 255 Liberator?? Hmmmm....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

the "Family" resemblance is "Amazing"
Old 02-28-2013, 08:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

One thing many boats of today fail at, is offering a place to hang out. Yes, many seem to get the place to "Hang On". But boating is also a leisure time sport, meaning most of the fun happens either at idle(raft ups, marina, wherever), or generally between 30 mph and 60 mph. It's sure fun to blast around.

But what about afterwards? I love that darn Liberator, and I wish I had never seen it
Old 02-28-2013, 09:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by VtSteve
One thing many boats of today fail at, is offering a place to hang out. Yes, many seem to get the place to "Hang On". But boating is also a leisure time sport, meaning most of the fun happens either at idle(raft ups, marina, wherever), or generally between 30 mph and 60 mph. It's sure fun to blast around.

But what about afterwards? I love that darn Liberator, and I wish I had never seen it
Yeah I know...it just won't let go...!!!
Old 02-28-2013, 10:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by VtSteve
One thing many boats of today fail at, is offering a place to hang out.
I have made the point several times on this site about the design of new offshore boats. Wow, two bolster seats in front of a rear bench again, that's innovation.

My old boss had a 377 Scarab that was not staggered. It had a cockpit similar to the 34 scarab III with a bench behind the side by side bolsters. the rear bench was actually L shaped and the boat had a lot of cockpit space. You know, the area that people spend the majority of their time. Other than a Baja with a large cockpit, really haven't seen any others.

I looked at a 30' S scarab before my formula. If I had bought it, I was going to make the rear seat lift up like some newer boats I have seen so I could move it back about 2'. Right up against the engines, but with the seat up you could still work on them. Well, I didn't and when I bought my formula, I considered doing it with that untill I saw that the floor was not flat. It transitioned at the start of the rear bench so any changes there were would a dramatic project. Still glad I cut the back of the seat out, really opens it up and changes things.

Sprink, I like the idea of moving the bench back. It looks like yours is all made from plywood, not the molded glass that my 272 is. Makes it easier to change for you. Make sure when you do that to document it with a lot of pictures. Talking about that, I need to take more of my removable rear seat project as it progresses and update my thread also.

Brian
Old 02-28-2013, 11:00 PM
Registered

Brian...I will document it. The F-26 Formula that was built for about 15 years in the 70's and '80's had a flat cockpit floor and the rear seat was removable. You can walk to the transom.

[IMG][/IMG]

Check the Free Board on this one

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

A friend of mine bought this boat and put a pair of 375 horse Yanmar Diesels in it on Bravo III Drives. He is spinning 28: props on the Bravo III's and runs 50 MPH at 3000 RPM. Fuel consumption at 40 MPH is about 30 GPH TOTAL!! He has a 8 KW Diesel Gen Set with A/C. He has been to Free Port 3 times with it....very reliable. It has a 10' beam.

Oh...Brian... another Mechanical Engineer... OK!!!
Old 02-28-2013, 11:01 PM
Registered

[IMG][/IMG]
Wow, my 272 LS looks very similar to that 28ss. But I wonder about the stats on it. It is supposed to be 8" longer with the same 8' beam as the 272. Big blocks with TRS drives and the required transmissions and they list the net weight at 5,000 pounds? Oh, and an 18" draft?

Seems pretty light.

Brian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.