Notices
Formula

'79 Formula 255 Liberator Update

Old 04-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by sprink58
The 255 ran 65 with 23" Cleavers at 5400 with the 260's or what ever they were that I took out.

What props are you turning?
the one in my yard ran 55 mph with 260's and 21 p laser II props # 4600 rpm's..
Old 04-02-2013, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I have 21 p 3 blade. Not sure of all the other measurements or what model. Not cleavers reg stainless steel.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Santa Claus (Diego) came by my office today with my Rams and a pair of 23" Mirage LH & RH props to try out. Final inventory this weekend of all materials and Monday~Tuesday she's going together. I might take a few days off this next week to run her in.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Just a heads up John. I cruise at about 38-40 at 3000 rpm. 60ish at 4800 which is wot with a best of 63.
Forgive me ..but remind me...what's your power?
Old 04-05-2013, 10:59 PM
Registered

350s. Don't know much else about em. Aftermarket carbs and intakes for sure. Supposedly fairly fresh motors. These are GPS speeds off my lowrance.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Registered

Well...I'll confess...I'm like a kid at Christmas in anticipation of getting my 255 in the water with new power and new drives!!

So this morning in anticipation of all of this effort finally coming together, I went out and washed and waxed the Escalade and the Formula. About half way thru the Formula I started feeling the years....then I realized "Damn...this is a big job for a young man ...much less a 60 year old". LOL

Anyway...I got it done. I'm thinking about this time next week I'll be cruising around in my own boat for the first time in over a year. All of the sweat and hard work, planning and engineering finally coming together in sort of a bitter sweet moment that marks a huge milestone in the resurrection of this old boat. I have learned a lot about marine propulsion systems that I did not know...especially in converting this one from 1970's Pre Alpha to Bravo drives and from old pre Vortec Small Block technology to Vortec/Roller Cam power. Bravo Drives didn't even exist when this boat was built and if you wanted Big Block or High Performance Small Block power you went with TRS or Volvo 280 Drives. When I think about what was going on in the world in 1979 when this boat was new it causes me to take pause. Disco was strong and we were wearing "Leisure Suits" and "Members Only" jackets. Smokey and the Bandit II was the big movie hit with Burt Reynolds and Sally Fields tearing it up in a Black Trans Am. Jimmy Carter was president and we were in the middle of the Iran Hostage crisis. the Soviet Union was still a "Super Power" and the Berlin Wall was still up in Germany. Ricardo Montalban and that little guy that yelled out "the Plane...The Plane" in Fantasy Island along with J.R. Ewing in Dallas were the big TV shows. Seems like forever ago.

Most importantly are the new friends I have made along with re establishing old friends.

Thanks to the contributions of everyone on OSO...and remember...this is still a work in progress...BUT...I am about to achieve a HUGE milestone.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 1,910 Likes on 745 Posts
Default Speak for..

Originally Posted by sprink58
When I think about what was going on in the world in 1979 Disco was strong and we were wearing "Leisure Suits".
yourself

Great post. I've never bought a new boat so I don't have that feeling to compare to but I have restored a few and that feeling at completion is pretty powerful medicine.

You will have quite the museum piece when complete. Can't wait to see it in person and get the guided tour of new Vs old and all of the unexpected but required engineering changes.
You can research a project like that until the cows come home but until you actually dive in......., you know never know what hurdles you'll have to cross.

Congrats, well done.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
yourself

Great post. I've never bought a new boat so I don't have that feeling to compare to but I have restored a few and that feeling at completion is pretty powerful medicine.

You will have quite the museum piece when complete. Can't wait to see it in person and get the guided tour of new Vs old and all of the unexpected but required engineering changes.
You can research a project like that until the cows come home but until you actually dive in......., you know never know what hurdles you'll have to cross.

Congrats, well done.
I never wore one either...LOL!! Thanks for the words and ...yes we will get together soon.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:24 PM
Registered

Awesome John. Let me add that in 1979 another big thing happened. I was born!! Lol. Can't for you to get her out on the water. I definitely wanna get a Bahamas run in prolly next summer. First long run I'm gonna do is key west.

I'm excited for you. Only been 7 months since I've taken mine out and I'm gonna take it out when I get home and that feels like a lifetime to me.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Real excited to see this ol' girl hit the water!!! Keep us updated!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.