'79 Formula 255 Liberator Update >

'79 Formula 255 Liberator Update

Notices
Formula

'79 Formula 255 Liberator Update

Old 04-15-2013, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK...got the reverse deal worked out and now I'm sorting out old boat wiring harness vs. new engine wiring harness. Seems like I ended up with new 10 pin style harnesses on the engines and the boat has 14 pin. I set the adapter up myself and i must have something crossed up because I keep loosing gauge function and trim pump function. This is about to drive me nuts. I found a rigger in Ft. Lauderdale that comes highly recommended so I'm going to let him handle it. It's frustrating to have these sweet running engines and drives and not be able to take advantage of them....so I surrender to someone that does this for a living!!

I think I will save time and money in the long run.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:45 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations on getting her in the water! Sounds like you've got a lot of good times coming up as you learn how the boat handles and responds to the new power.

Enjoy
Dave
Old 04-16-2013, 06:19 AM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe give this a try?
http://www.ebasicpower.com/pc/MER84-866337T01/MERWH
http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/faq/image...tionwiring.jpg
Old 04-18-2013, 05:17 PM
Registered

Default Moving Fast Now...

New wiring harnesses in...all systems getting new switches. I just pulled trigger on total dash rework...out with the old in with the new...all gauges, switches, fuse panel,etc. I couldn't get access to the back of the cluster so I took a saw to it and cut it out. The new panel will be like a 272/242 is so I can get to the rear of it in the future. Pics are coming I promise.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a successful test run really re-lights the willingness to dump time and money into these things huh? Good idea on updating the helm. Mine looks like a maze, but it is pretty much all factory wiring, so not too bad. Looking forward to getting the motor sorted out and back in so I can finish up my console.

Can't wait to see you get some performance figures out there.

One other request some time. What are the stats on your motors and did you get dyno sheets/numbers? I remember seeing a post when you got them with some basic info and the twins dyno sheets. Wondering if you have detailed build information on your motors. Like what cc the pistons are? Cam number? What was done to the heads?

Really liking your setup, would like to try copying what you did in my 272 down the road sometime. Maybe even raise the motors and drives when I do to try to replicate your old 272 with the SS drive depth. You really got my mind a turning....

Brian
Old 04-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Registered

Default A Few Pics

These are a few pics I took of the instrument cluster work and reworking the steering/wiring in the bilge. Apologies for the mess but I'm getting it done.

Here is before and after of the instrument cluster...not totaly finished but you get the idea.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
The two rockers on the far right will be labeled for drive in and out.

[IMG][/IMG]

This shows what I had to do with the steering...moved it to the port side...just not enough room on the starboard side for the cable to make the turn and still get the required 22 1/2" lateral clearance for the power steering ram. Note grounding block on transom near the center...simple but effective.

[IMG][/IMG]

Very tight squeeze here...just won't work on the starboard side.

[IMG][/IMG]

Original Pre Alpha Layout with wires that go no where...note arrangement of steering on starboard side...the Pre Alpha MR Ram is much smaller as are the inner transom plates.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here are a few of the engines waiting to go back in. Note oil lines and coolers mounted to Bell Housings. Low res indoor with camera phone.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm keeping the Joy Stick control for the tabs because it's simple...and it works. The attitude of the boat moves in the direction you move the stick...what could be simpler?

[IMG][/IMG]

So...with the final hook up of all the gauges...find a 32 1/2" external Bravo Tie Bar or modify a longer one...re install to engines and drives...I should be back in the water again next week end.

I then do the McLeod bolsters...re install the interior, install my new VHF and antenna, stereo, amps and speakers...and oh yea...new Garmin VHF, etc.

You know what...these projects involve a lot of time and money!! But it will be a safe and reliable vessel once I'm finished....do these things ever get finished?

Last edited by sprink58; 04-20-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:27 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Looks great John. No they are never finished. Haha
Old 04-22-2013, 07:27 PM
Registered

Default Rear of Panel

Here is a quick pic of the rear of the panel.

[IMG][/IMG]

This is just prior to the Tie Wraps.

This boat doesn't know what to think with all this going on...they didn't do stuff like this 35 years ago,
Old 04-22-2013, 07:46 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That old girl is going to be awesome when you get her done!! Well at least done for now!! Lol
Old 04-22-2013, 08:13 PM
Registered

I guess this is what you get into putting modern propulsion and rigging into a 35 year old Formula...the Classic Lines with modern power...

[IMG][/IMG]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.