'79 Formula 255 Liberator Update

Notices
Formula

'79 Formula 255 Liberator Update

Old 08-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by masi242
Sprink, those look great they look like the ones I`m going to look at to nite, do you have a bar that attaches to the back then to the side, any measurements on the seats depth wise.
I will measure and get back to you. I don't have those bars...looking for a source for them.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:06 AM
Registered

I finally got the bolsters in today, This is one of those milestones that I used to mark a significant place in the re-fit of this boat....it means that I have begin to move away from the raw mechanics(engine, drives and wiring) and into the "aesthetic" phase of the project. These 255 Formula Liberators never had the benefits afforded by the McLeods because they had not been invented yet. Formula first started using them in the 242 and 302 SR-1's around '84 I believe. In any case...here are a few pics of the seats in place.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG]
[/IMG]

I got the Admiral to go out with me today to run the 255 with the Bolsters...i have to say, they totally transform the look and feel of the boat. I ran in the Intracoastal today through and around the Port of Palm Beach and Palm Beach inlet. After the first few large wakes and waves that we encountered I realized quickly that I no longer need to flinch...just lean back, flex your knees and enjoy the ride!!

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

We spent an hour today tied to the dock, hunkered down in the cabin waiting for one hell of a rain storm to stop so we could get the boat out of the water this afternoon. It seemed like the bilge pump ran once every 10 minutes it was raining so hard. We haven't done that in a LONG time.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:18 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Looks good John. I will never own another sportboat without bolsters. Love em.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sprink, those look great I`m jealous, sounds like you had a nice ride with them. Do yours mount to the gunnel with a side brace.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by masi242
Sprink, those look great I`m jealous, sounds like you had a nice ride with them. Do yours mount to the gunnel with a side brace.
Yes...a stainless steel angle. The angle mounts to the lower frame of the seat on the outside and there are three holes for thru bolting to the gunnel.

Thanks for the comments...I like them a bunch. I bought these on E Bay almost two years ago. I wanted to get all of the propulsion system work finished before I installed them. They have been in storage since I got them so i was very anxious to get them in.

I measured them..29" to the base of the seat in the full upright position. That sounds high but you won't be sitting in them at that position. I find my "sweet spot" is about half way up.

Last edited by sprink58; 08-05-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

She looks good!!! Glad to hear she runs like just as well! Looking forward to seeing her in person early next year
Old 08-09-2013, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
I finally got the bolsters in today, This is one of those milestones that I used to mark a significant place in the re-fit of this boat....it means that I have begin to move away from the raw mechanics(engine, drives and wiring) and into the "aesthetic" phase of the project. These 255 Formula Liberators never had the benefits afforded by the McLeods because they had not been invented yet. Formula first started using them in the 242 and 302 SR-1's around '84 I believe. In any case...here are a few pics of the seats in place.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG]
[/IMG]

I got the Admiral to go out with me today to run the 255 with the Bolsters...i have to say, they totally transform the look and feel of the boat. I ran in the Intracoastal today through and around the Port of Palm Beach and Palm Beach inlet. After the first few large wakes and waves that we encountered I realized quickly that I no longer need to flinch...just lean back, flex your knees and enjoy the ride!!

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

We spent an hour today tied to the dock, hunkered down in the cabin waiting for one hell of a rain storm to stop so we could get the boat out of the water this afternoon. It seemed like the bilge pump ran once every 10 minutes it was raining so hard. We haven't done that in a LONG time.
Looks Great!!!! Let me know if you need anything!
Old 08-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris@McLeod
Looks Great!!!! Let me know if you need anything!
Thanks Chris
Old 08-10-2013, 06:09 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking good man! Always nice to see some one put in the time to preserve the old birds.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Looking good man! Always nice to see some one put in the time to preserve the old birds.
Thanks...and don't forget the $$money$$ LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.