'79 Formula 255 Liberator Update >

'79 Formula 255 Liberator Update

Notices
Formula

'79 Formula 255 Liberator Update

Old 02-25-2014, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I met with Tommy Hoffstetter today and got the benefit of his expertise. Tommy gets neck deep into every thing and I knew not to expect less from him in his analysis of my boat...so pull up a chair...this is going to be good.

After crawling thru the bilge and taking several measurements determining the X dimension Tommy devised a plan.

The engines are coming out along with the drives, gimbals and transom assemblies. We are filling the transom cut outs refinishing the gel coat and re cutting the openings...raising the X dimension 4"-6". My drive cavitation plates on the lowers are even with the bottom of the hull...not good. The way he explained it to me...the props are so deep that the turbulence from the hull is screwing with the drives so badly that at speeds over 60-65 this boat is hard to control. The goal is to get the props closer to the surface and move to a 4 or even 5 blade prop. We considered putting a pair of Imco Shorty's together using some spares around his shop but that only gives us 2" which wouldn't be worth doing.

So while all this is going on we are going to part and piece together hydraulic external steering. After I listened to some of the tragedies Tommy has seen with high speed boats using cable steering he sold me on the idea. Along this trip I will get mechanical indicators for the Bravo's and new/used K Planes. The new motor mounts will be offshore tube steel pieces bolted through the stringers.

Last but not least the 255 will get thru hull exhaust with some muffler tips...Tommy looked at me and just shook his head when i said anything about keeping the Y Pipes!!!

In his words..."John...you've got something that runs strong here and can be very dangerous with out proper rigging. You're my friend and I'm not going to let you go out and kill yourself !!!"

It's great to have good, knowledgeable friends...especially when the friend happens to be Tommy Hoffstetter.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:21 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...trim-tabs.html

Here ya go John.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a request John, could you document this as well as you can? Like what your prop depth is before and after? After reading about your 272 with ss drives, I always wondered about changing x dimension if it would work someday. Never may, but this project sure sounds interesting!

I am curios just how deep the drives sit now. A couple pictures from the rear with the drives level would help also.

Brian
Old 02-26-2014, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

If tommy wants to go up 4" I'm guessing they are at least 8" below now, meaning a 14" x dimension. John how about going up 3" with the x dimension and the 2" shorties? My thinking is this a relatively deep, top heavy boat, keep the engines a little lower, but gain the prop shaft height. And don't start until after may, I'll be back down and you owe me a trip out lol
Old 02-27-2014, 05:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by lil red
If tommy wants to go up 4" I'm guessing they are at least 8" below now, meaning a 14" x dimension. John how about going up 3" with the x dimension and the 2" shorties? My thinking is this a relatively deep, top heavy boat, keep the engines a little lower, but gain the prop shaft height. And don't start until after may, I'll be back down and you owe me a trip out lol
Red...it's deep.The lower cavitation plate is even with the hull where it breaks. I like the lower center of gravity but the cost of shortys is crazy in this boat. The 255's, Liberator, Freedom Cruiser and Castaway (Fly Bridge) all shared the same deep free board hull. The Castaways had ballast added to comp for the fly bridge. the Lib's and Cruisers did not...due to the depth. The hulls do get up on top but there is so much of it that the power is in a fight to lift the stern. If I get too much stern out I plow the bow which gets this rig darting around like a top water Bass Lure.

Dollar for dollar I face the choice now if it's not economically feasible to find another boat like a 272 with twin 260's in it running and swap around. I don't think a 272 is that deep. We're talking $11k for a pair of new shorty's and that's nuts on this boat.

All taken into consideration...this hull is not as fast in smooth water as a 242 or 272 that carries less free board....but in the ocean...I wave good by because of the added displacement and that velvet ride that this wave buster provides. Trim becomes critical and once it's achieved I run with 30' plus hulls in the slop....sort of like a "Bob Tail" F-302. I don't want to sacrifice that because I don't run this Bird on a lake LOL.

Got a lot of thinking to do but for now my concentration is going to be on tightening up the steering and trim indicators.

See you in May!!

Last edited by sprink58; 02-27-2014 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:46 PM
Registered

Default Moving On...

Well gang...I think I have taken the old 255 as far as I can. It has been fun and the boat is a beast...but with this power and drive package I am miles and dollars ahead to move these engines and drives to a stronger platform. I have purchased a 1989 272 SR-1 from "Sick Stinger" and "Smokin Gun" from the Boston area ...less power, drives and controls...all of which will be donated from the 255.

I am yet undecided as to what to do with the 255...it might become a Center Console with a pair of 250 Outboards on brackets or I may sell it whole or part it out.

I don't know how fast the 255 would have gone...I saw 78 GPS on a few occasions and will say over 70 it was a handful to say the least.

I know from owning a 272 and being on Diego's 272 SR-1 that the SR-1 is a very capable heavy water package and with SBC power as opposed to BBC's in the same boat with similar power...this will be a runner for sure.

Stay tuned for a new thread soon on the resurrection of a 1989 272 SR-1.

As of now the boat will be named "Watch Her Strut"...from Bob Segars song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qbeIwn5jR8

Stay tuned...
Old 05-02-2014, 02:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That should be a fun new thread!!! I really liked the 255!!!
Old 05-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you made a good choice moving to a larger boat. I enjoyed the thread on the 255 so I can't wait for the new one on the 272.

Dave
Old 05-02-2014, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That was a great deal one that 272, I can't wait to see this transformation. Any idea when they are bring her down.?
Old 05-03-2014, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the 272, you have come full circle! Any idea on what you are going to do with drive height?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.