'79 Formula 255 Liberator Update >

'79 Formula 255 Liberator Update

Notices
Formula

'79 Formula 255 Liberator Update

Old 07-15-2012, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK...another days progress like today and I'll be ready to fire these engines up!!...then... drop them in.

[IMG][/IMG]

The Crank driven pumps and Carter Electric Fuel Pump idea seems to work so far.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How mY distributors lookin? I gota ask too all this work why not some better exhaust
Old 07-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Registered

They look awesome!
Old 07-15-2012, 09:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jiffy292
How mY distributors lookin? I gota ask too all this work why not some better exhaust
They are in!!...and ready to spin...you do recognize those wires I am sure.

As far as the exhaust... that's a great question. Budget is the short answer. Two sets of OEM Mercruiser for $875 out the door vs $2000 + for something significantly better. With the cams I'm running I don't know if I would see much difference...but I can change/upgrade down the road if need be.

It really starts adding up and I need to move some of my old stuff to re-coop some fundage. Just in that pic..with exhaust, raw water pumps, circulating pumps, all new hoses,flea market brackets, dip sticks, remote oil filter set ups, DUI Distributors and fuel pumps you see $2800 in bolt ons.

What you don't see is 2: Bravo Transom Assemblies with trim pumps, new steering ram and Bravo Shift Brackets, HD Bravo couplers, Bravo Bell Housings and 2: Bravo I drives minus one lower unit. Add to that new bilge pumps, hoses and thru hulls, new bilge blowers and hoses...and 2: McLeod drop out Bolsters

I am rolling the whole thing around on a NEW All American 10,200 lb aluminum, torsion axle, 4: wheel stainless disc brake trailer.

I guess I can say all and all it's a lot cheaper than a mistress...and a hell of a lot less drama.

Last edited by sprink58; 07-15-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sprink I like the way you mounted the water pumps. How hard is it too install the the new pump and price.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2012, 08:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by masi242
Sprink I like the way you mounted the water pumps. How hard is it too install the the new pump and price.

Thanks
Thanks...

Installation is easy...the pump mounts to the crank pulley and the support bracket mounts to the block in two drilled and taped holes...left or right side. Shop around online...the kit is about $150~$175 depending on where you buy. Michigan Motorz is about $150 + freight.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 1,938 Likes on 763 Posts

What a great project. First I've taken the time to read through this thread, very impressive.
I like your call on the exhaust too. Switchable would be the only way I'd do them and I agree at your power level you won't see anything but noise. Can't count the # of tech threads where the guy spent $4K on exhaust and picked up zero!
I had a single, small block I/O boat w/standard through hulls and hated them. Worst part was @ idle you could tell it was a stock 260. Sounded like an old Impala w/no muffler.

Anxious to see this jewel in person. Might have to buy you beers to get edumacated about Formulas
A 24 has been on my list for O/B conversion for quite some time.

Keep up the great work on a gorgeous boat!
Gary
Old 07-17-2012, 04:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
What a great project. First I've taken the time to read through this thread, very impressive.
I like your call on the exhaust too. Switchable would be the only way I'd do them and I agree at your power level you won't see anything but noise. Can't count the # of tech threads where the guy spent $4K on exhaust and picked up zero!
I had a single, small block I/O boat w/standard through hulls and hated them. Worst part was @ idle you could tell it was a stock 260. Sounded like an old Impala w/no muffler.

Keep up the great work on a gorgeous boat!
Gary
Gary stop hating on 260/alpha boats with thru-hulls!!! I had one last year and it sounded.... Whimpy drove me nuts cause it obviously wasn't a big block and any gear head in a 100ft knew it.

Sprink those motors look awesome. That boat is gonna be sweet when she's ready. If I happen to find myself in FL in the next couple of months I'll be there helping!
Old 07-17-2012, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 1,938 Likes on 763 Posts
Default Yep...

Originally Posted by machloosy
drove me nuts cause it obviously wasn't a big block and any gear head in a 100ft knew it.
Kinda like a noisy Harley that don't go
You know I'm an O/B guy but to hear a wicked car motor idling on the cam is still orgasmic to my ears. That I like hearing.
I'm the guy at the light that rolls down the window when a mean car rolls up
I can definitely see a pair of I/O's in my future. I'd like to build a pair of small blocks.

Proof that I'm not anti carr moter

I built the 440 six pack in this and turned it 7000 in all 4 gears every time I drove it. Well 6700 in 4th before getting a bit nervous. Had 3" duals w/Hooker Aero Chambers (you could look straight through them!) and 90* turn downs that dumped right under the drivers seat. Wasn't as obnoxious loud as it was a throaty rumble. Set off car alarms in every park lot I went through.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 260 Alpha, and knew enough to keep it quiet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.