Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
The Official  pre '87 "Flat Glass" Formula thread... >

The Official pre '87 "Flat Glass" Formula thread...

Notices
Formula

The Official pre '87 "Flat Glass" Formula thread...

Old 02-17-2013, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. I don't know those boats so I can't answer your questions. Plenty of others will chime in. Mine isn't bottom painted either.

However on the GPS front I can giver opinion. If you look in the restoration thread you'll see where commandersander helped with my gauge panels. Reconfiguring gauges and flush mounting lowrance. I have the hds5 and love it. Good internal gps antennae and great for fishes. Though I don't fish much it gives a good bottom view even for anchoring.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ICU...not sure where to look for restoration thread. I could not find it. Thanks
Old 02-17-2013, 12:31 PM
Registered

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/r...pgrade-10.html

Commandersander did a great job. This is the whole thread from what I originally had remade to his ideas. Great guy. Awesome work. The thread goes all the way to finished product but I haven't painted it yet or done the other panels. But it'll give ya an idea or contact him. He knows a lot about fabrication.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:32 PM
Registered

That is super nice. Is the 272 dash much different than mine I wonder? What do you think you will spend in the end for a new dash I guess assuming to use existing gauges? Thanks!!
Old 02-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Registered

I have all new gauges. It's acrylic material. Not very expensive. If your read through that whole thread it's about finding the right size stuff to mimic layout and see what you like best. Really very minimal money in just redoing panel then your decision on paint or vinyl or however you want to decorate it. Also factor in making other panels match. Altogether when said an done I will have 8 panels redone.

This is the color mine are being painted and then getting hydro carbon fiber. These 3 panels were however lost in shipping so I'm working on replacements. Fed ex mistake cost me a fortune!! Lol
Attached Thumbnails The Official  pre '87 "Flat Glass" Formula thread...-image.jpg  
Old 02-17-2013, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shrekmark, take a few minutes and start a new thread about your boat. As you have questions and do projects, you can easily document them for future owners or DIY projects. Forum threads like that are replacing the old magazine restoration project articles.

Also, your questions may get a better response in a thread titled about the size of your boat instead of the one for posting pictures. Most of us belonging to the formula group read just about every thread posted anyways.

So how did Steve get the transom dried out and reinforce the rotten spots?

Oh, there should be a spot for a porti POTTI Under the v berth section. cover flips up and there is a open section there.

Welcome to the club,

Brian

P.S. just kidding about the transom!
Old 02-17-2013, 05:20 PM
Registered

Befu...you gave me cardiac arrest for 5 seconds until I scanned down. Thanks for that. Good one. I will start a thread. I am not a paying member. I thought I saw that to post pics you need to be . I can work on that. There is a very popular guy here in NJ close to Mantoloking that does dashes. I am taking the boat to Kurt's Marine in Mantoloking to have sea strainers installed. While there he will get the dash guy working. I will take lots of pictures. Thanks for help.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shekmark, you can post pictures by hosting them on a site like photobucket. Start a free account there, upload them to photobucket and then copy the image code right into your post, works great. Did that for over a year before I went gold. Still use it for other sites, very stable website.

Sorry about the heart attack, that is just the type of group we are here!

Brian
Old 02-17-2013, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by shekmark
Well...I won't post a pic because you can look back at 86242LS and see MY new boat that I bought from Steven . I haulers it from Chicago to Jersey a couple of weeks ago in the snow! No way I am bottom painting for the salt water. I just got a rack storage on the Manasquan river for the summer. One hour notice and they put it in a slip for you. Holy crap it's only mid February. I have a few questions I'm gonna ask here and another forum. Hope someone can answer . I don't want to keep bothering the original owner.
-where to store an anchor. I'm thinking Fortress FX7. And how do you get up on deck with it?
-Garmin 540s GPS. Reconfigure dash and flush mount, or surface mount. I hate to drill a hole in the top of the dash.
-where to mount the transducer . I prefer a IN-hull if it will work
-Steve may need to answer this. 454/400hp/Bravo , what kind of gallons per hour should I expect at cruise and then max? Thanks! Mark
Congrats and welcome...another Flat Glass guy!!! Super deal!!!

Regarding the anchor... I used an anchor chock set up on my '86 272 and plan to put one on the 255.

http://www.reddenmarine.com/sea-dog-...FQyqnQod01YALA

If you set it up correctly you can run in all but the roughest water with no issues. I also installed a Hawse Pipe at the front of the bow to route the rode and line into the rope locker in the bow.

I put the anchor on the chock before I leave the dock. To release it I reach thru the forward deck hatch from inside the cabin, drop it over then go back to the helm to set it. To bring it in I just do it all in reverse.

It's tough for anyone but a kid to walk around the windshield to the bow. On the 255 I have a ladder on the port side of the cockpit and a stainless step next to the bow rail on the port side I use.
[IMG][/IMG]

Hope this helps you thought process.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.