Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Silent Thunder exhaust flaps >

Silent Thunder exhaust flaps

Notices
Formula

Silent Thunder exhaust flaps

Old 08-13-2002, 04:00 PM
Wild Horses

Mine have been drilled for about 2+ years now. One 2" hole and one 1.5" hole in each baffle. Nice rumble but not too too loud.

Trevor

Old 08-14-2002, 08:59 AM
sheikman1

Default Baffles in Silent Thunder

I took the baffle 1 step furthur,

I put a 540 in a 242ls. This really made the Formula come alive.
I drilled out the baffles with a 2" hole saw, the i drilled 2 holes in the radiused are under the platform almost where the thru-hull comes through the transom. I installed 3"rubber flappers over the holes. IT sounds nice now! The rubber prevents backwash of water comming into the platform. The beauty of this is that you can not see the additional holes when the boat is standing still. My next step will be to install tips through the hole.

Anybody who wants the details on this conversion, I will be happy to have a discussion.

Sheikman

Old 08-24-2002, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Hey Craig, I'm on my third Formula now. Its a 311. Had the platform off my 242 and my 311 because of exhaust leaks. There are two different sets of gaskets in there. One set is a round foam deal that seals the exhaust tip to the backside of the platform. the other is a peripheral gasket that goes all around the outside edge of the board. The round ones at the tips are the ones that seal the exhaust. Taking the platform off is not too hard but its pretty heavy, need two guys for sure. When its off, check for delamination between the fiberglass face on the back of the platform and the oak backing board. If it is delaminated a bit, get some acatone and rinse the space a bit. Then inject as much 3M 5000 adhesive in there as you can. Clamp it and let it cure real well. This needs to be done or it will get worse and worse. The round gaskets have no adhesive on them. Spread a little contact cement on both the gasket and the platform to keep it in place while installing the platform. The long peripheral gasket is pre-glued. Hope this helps you visualize whats in store for you. Like I said, I've done it twice (basically rebuilt my 311 platform) so let me know if you need any more info.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as modifying baffles and louder sound, see my new psot on special tool for silent thunder baffes