Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Formula 311 >

Formula 311

Notices
Formula

Formula 311

Old 08-13-2002, 08:42 AM
Wild Horses

Sorry... just saw the post this morning.

We were in Orillia on Friday night but never made it to the show. We then headed up the Trent to Fenlon Falls for a three day vacation. So, lets put it into prespective. We started with a full tank and went from the lower end of Simcoe, to Orillia. Nice cruize, 3200 rpm, 45 minutes. Then all the way to Fenlon Falls on Saturday. Some WFO where we could but for the most part, just doing the Trent. Went to Coboconk then to Balsum Lake Provincial Park, WFO flybys the beach, then cruized back home via the Trent (5 hours) and across Simcoe at about 4000rpm (50+ mph) and back home to the dock in Gilford. Fuel was at about one quarter of a tank on the return (150 gallons fills it). Oh, 725 hours now. )

So all in all not bad, but once those 4 barrels open, look out.

Cheers,
Trevor

Old 08-14-2002, 02:48 AM
my BAJAmas

Thanks so much for the info Trevor.
So many people are scarring me with horror stories of the gas guzzling 420s, but if you only spent $450ish for 10-12 hours of running,, that's pretty cheap in my books.
I'm $60-100 per hour on a single 454 at 4000rpm+.
I have yet to test drive this one though. I think they almost have it ready to hit the water.
thanks again
ps if you ever hit Geo Bay let me know
Bryan

Old 08-14-2002, 08:29 AM
Wild Horses

Well hold the presses..... seem we burned a little more than we thought. Last night the wife and daughter took the car to the dealership in Keswick for service so we figured I would pick them up with in the boat and have dinner out in the bay. Crossed the bay (5 km) picked them up at Crates Marina went back out into the bay for a very short blast (1 minute) and one engine popped and died. I still had a quarter tank of fuel so we had dinner. I then checked out the carb and no fuel. The other would still run so I figure it was the pump.

Started idling back to shore… “Say it ain't so Joe” … the other died. Out of gas and a bad sender. Duh! Had to flare in a ride to shore, bug a buddy, thanks Smokin, borrow money, borrow a truck (my keys and wallet are in the boat), borrow a can, get gas, get a ride back out. What fun. So our estimates were a little off and we did the trip with about 2 gallons to spare I figure. 148 gallons minus the trailer factor to Orillia, Fenlon Falls and back to Gilford. Lots of idling in the Trent, WFO etc. So all round well used and a fun three days.

What is the trailer factor you ask. Well it seems that once you fill this baby up on the trailer, it is not really full. If you drop it in the water it will take about another $75 right away. My guess is there is an air pocket that will not permit total filling on the trailer.

Where about in Georgian Bay are you?

Old 08-14-2002, 12:20 PM
my BAJAmas

LOL,,, We've all played the gas gauge guessing game!!
As for the trailer factor,, my checkmate used to be the opposite, another $50+bucks on the trailer. Once you looked at the way the boat sat in the water, it made sense. The big block made the bow point to the sky.
Even with burning a full 148 Gallons, that's not too shabby!
That's a $500 weekend of non-stop running at all rpm.
I burn $250 just goin to Parry Sound and back, and that's only an hour up the shore!!
I boat out of Doral Marine Resort, the old Wye heritage. It's 5 minutes down the shore from the cottage, so it works great for me.
Thanks again,, you are helping me lean very seriously towards the formula!!!

Old 08-14-2002, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Priceline......nice boat...when's the testride?
Old 08-15-2002, 10:26 AM
my BAJAmas

I figured we would set-up a dual test drive day,,
You in the 35 lightning bolt and me in the 311,, that way I could show you who's boss!!
but on a lighter note,, you working this weekend?

Old 08-15-2002, 11:04 AM
Wild Horses

I think the Lightning would be faster in calmer conditions. The Bird would rule in heavy seas. Funny thing is that the 35 is the same length in the water or shorter than the F311.

Old 08-23-2002, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey WildHorses, ThirdBird here! I'm new on this site. Read your bit about fuel consumption and thinking you still had a quarter left in the tank after your ride. I had the very same, exact same experience. I have the same boat as you except for 454 mags with bravos. Took a long cruise, WOT sometimes, mostly just cruise at 35-40 mph. Got back to dock with a quarter tank. Out the next weekend, feeling kind of cheap, figured I had enough gas for the beach and whatnot. Took short cruise - one engine died. Other still running at idle. Checked everything out, can't seem to figure out whats wrong. Then.........the other engine just quit. OHHHHHH, I figured it out then, dry as a pocorn fart in my tank. Had to be towed in by my buddy with crowds laughing at the "go-faster" dude with no fuel. A bit embarassing. Fuel guage sender hangs up at quarter tank. It's a float inside a stainless tube. Had to replace one on a 223SS I used to have. Funny story man, so much the same as mine.

Nice boat - shes pretty.