My Formula paced the Philly Poker Run!

Notices
Formula

My Formula paced the Philly Poker Run!

Old 08-05-2002, 07:30 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up My Formula paced the Philly Poker Run!

I got to pace the Philly Poker Run in my 382 last Saturday. Other than the obvious ego-and-power-trip, I have to say that it's nice to be out front where you're not getting hosed down. I just wish that I had known about this ahead of time, so I could have slapped some big "Formula Racing" decals on the side of the boat. I'll try to post a picture if I can get one.

It was really, REALLY, REALLY hot, but the lunch stop (Chesapeake Inn) was air-conditioned, as was the breakfast and dinner at Dave&Busters. Great time and great people (NJPPC).

MissMyMoney - I saw you boat at the fuel dock at Shaeffers on Sunday at about noon. Pretty boat.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:21 AM
JerseyDevil

Thanks Chuck, I was the boats 1st. run this year I only got the motor back in last week and it's 1st run was Fairlee creek friday night. It run well but is slow.
As you see I have a new name on OSO, not that I wanted to change but I had problems posting and no one helped fix it so I changed name and started over.
Tom (MissMyMoney)

Old 08-05-2002, 10:48 AM
GMScott

Default Phila Poker Run

Hey C_Spray saw you at the starting line - Nice Formula!!

How'd ya make out??

I was hangin out by the D&B's dock in my little 252SS watching the action. I had a friend with me who is brand new to boating - had to be cool so as not to spook her!! She did think some of the other boats were "a little loud!!" but liked the "wild" colors. She was wondering where your graphics were so I told her that your boat was so fast they blew off. She almost believed me there for a second!!

I was following the pack for a little bit - pretty rough and again didn't want to scare off a potential crew mate. I have never been to a poker run before but definitely would like to participate sometime in the future, if my stock 7.4 MPI can keep up. Looks like a lot of fun.

After you all got past the airport we headed back up river to Curtins for a late lunch. Man that river was full of junk.

Well, maybe we can catch up you with sometime. Keep Cool.

Old 08-05-2002, 12:06 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Scott - Saw you out there. Pretty boat. I'll bet it was a little bumpy behind the pack. We ran a conservative 50 until we got past the Navy base, then bumped it up to 60 until we got to the airport control tower, and then dropped the flag. A few of the boats took off, running about 65-80 until they got to the first tugboat wake. THAT settled everybody down big-time. Once we all got spread out, it was a nice, nice cruise - very smooth water. (Except for the %$#@^%$# tugs and freighters!) Average cruise down was about 60, average cruise back was about 51. Some ran as fast as 80, others as slow as 40-45. It's not the speed of the boat that's important - it's the amount of fun you have!
My boat ran great, except for picking up a bag or something on the way back. One engine started to get hot, so we stopped, checked the strainers (clear), put it into reverse for a little bit, and it cooled right off. What is so neat about the NJPPC is that when we stopped to check it, EVERY other boat stopped too, to make sure we were OK. Great, great club.
How did I make out with the cards? Ha!! You're kidding right?
Old 08-05-2002, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C-Spray,

Thats a cool honor to be Pace Boat, and even cooler to be out front.

I've done alot of poker runs and every one of them I'm caught up in the huge washing machine in the middle.

If you could have just drawn the winning hand you would have thought you had died and gone to Offshore Heaven
Old 08-05-2002, 01:51 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Default "Washing Machine"

Hot Water - Yep, it was very cool, and an honor. I'm just glad I didn't screw it up....

There are four ways to run in a Poker Run:

1) Right next to the pace boat (or AS the pace boat).
2) At the far right edge.
3) At the far left edge.
4) 200 yds behind the next-to-last boat.

OK - five ways:

5) Get a 80' Magnum and run wherever you want.....

The cards don't matter to me. I've always considered my entry fee to be a donation.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C-spray, We had a great time in the poker run too! It was nice to run with some of the bigger boats.Also found out my top end-72 on GPS! I'm happy! My friend riding along had his video camera going, should have some good shots. He's in Fla. right now, so I'll have to wait to see it.

GMscott, We frequent the river around Philly, launch out of Burlington NJ. Look for us (Formula 303SR1, TENACIOUS) Leave message on this board the next time you're going boating. Try next years poker run...it's a blast!