Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
specialized tool fro removing baffles in silent thunder swim platform >

specialized tool fro removing baffles in silent thunder swim platform

Notices
Formula

specialized tool fro removing baffles in silent thunder swim platform

Old 09-11-2002, 07:50 PM

Rambunctious, did you seal the holes you cut with anything? I only have a single 454 , but would like more sound.

Old 09-12-2002, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did not seal anything. the baffle is about 1/4" thick fiberglass

in most cases, the sealed edges of this piece attaching it to the sidewall of the chamber is in tact, in one, the whole thing cam loose, sealant and all. that's waht started this.

see my most excellent scale drawing
Attached Thumbnails specialized tool fro removing baffles in silent thunder swim platform-baffle.jpg  
Old 09-12-2002, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rambunctious,
I posted a reply in another thread regarding removal, repair, gasket replacement and reinstalltion of the platform. Also, I did replace the little, whimpy backing plates behind the upper u-bolts with 3/16" stainless plates shaped to span and fit the entire recessed area where the u-bolts go thru the platform. Looks pretty trick too!

The following is a copy of my other post. I've done this job on two different Formulas so tell me if I can help you out.

Hey Craig, I'm on my third Formula now. Its a 311. Had the platform off my 242 and my 311 because of exhaust leaks. There are two different sets of gaskets in there. One set is a round foam deal that seals the exhaust tip to the backside of the platform. the other is a peripheral gasket that goes all around the outside edge of the board. The round ones at the tips are the ones that seal the exhaust. Taking the platform off is not too hard but its pretty heavy, need two guys for sure. When its off, check for delamination between the fiberglass face on the back of the platform and the oak backing board. If it is delaminated a bit, get some acatone and rinse the space a bit. Then inject as much 3M 5000 adhesive in there as you can. Clamp it and let it cure real well. This needs to be done or it will get worse and worse. The round gaskets have no adhesive on them. Spread a little contact cement on both the gasket and the platform to keep it in place while installing the platform. The long peripheral gasket is pre-glued. Hope this helps you visualize whats in store for you. Like I said, I've done it twice (basically rebuilt my 311 platform) so let me know if you need any more info.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:23 PM

rambunctious, Thank you for the great illistration,Idid not realize it was solid glass,but I should have known better. I have one other concern, when Itook out my engine this summer I noticed I did not have any butterfly flaps ,as the exhaust goes thru the transom, should I be concerned with water coming back in? Thanks for any feed back.

Old 09-16-2002, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm by no means an expert,

but my flaps are gone too., however, my previous boat was a 211 liberator with strait thru hulls, no flaps, no cans, no baffles,
( no silent thunder). it seems the slope of the exhaust is what is critical per things i have read around here.

not to say you shouldn't replace them. but I don't plan to.
boilerdaddy may have some input from formula's testing way back.......

just to clarify, the left pic in my illustration is the rear view of the left exhaust chamber, the right, of course the side view.

so the solid glass I think you refer to, is just a piece of 1/4" glass "bonded" on three sides to the chamber and with 1" gap at bottom, and about 6" forward of the outside square exhaust tip.

on three of the chambers, i left the bonds alone and did the doggydoor cutout......, the forth, I just cut the entire loose,rattling piece in half and removed.

shine a flashlight in there, and you will say,. "ooooooooooohh, duh...that's simple..."

Last edited by Rambunctious; 09-16-2002 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

RAMBUNCTIOUS, thank you nice pics.
Old 09-19-2002, 08:17 PM
Mack312

RAMBUNCTIOUS,

Ours will be gone this weekend! Thanks for the info.

The blade will be sharp.

Old 03-10-2004, 10:14 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Formula you become a member this one yas pictures
Old 03-10-2004, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Waterfoul
Yeah, but my single engine Baja is STILL louder than your TWIN engine Formula Rambunctious!!! LOL!!!! QUOTE

But it's still a Baja.....LOL
Old 09-19-2004, 08:32 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: specialized tool fro removing baffles in silent thunder swim platform

this is rambuntious

to the top for the 357 guys

Quick Reply: specialized tool fro removing baffles in silent thunder swim platform

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.