Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Anyone been on / driven a 280 or 330 SS? >

Anyone been on / driven a 280 or 330 SS?

Notices
Formula

Anyone been on / driven a 280 or 330 SS?

Old 09-03-2002, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone been on / driven a 280 or 330 SS?

Might be going over to the dark side!

The Admiral and I have been discussing the "next boat" and are looking long and hard at the Sun Sports. Lots of room to entertain and socialize, still make the nice V-8 sounds, and has enough speed to beat the cruisers to the Tiki Bar. We loved our 28' offshore boat, but it would get a might cramped with more than 4 on board, and we never used the cabin other than for "necessities." Thinking that a big cockpit boat might be the tkt....

Anyone been on a 280 with a single big block - seems to me that it would be underpowered when it's loaded with all the appropriate beer, I mean, gear for a day of fun on the water...
Old 09-03-2002, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've logged close to a hundred hours on a 330SS. It's been my "backup boat" while mine was down for most of the season, and my "primary boat" before buying my boat that was down for most of the season. (Thanks, Dad). What would you like to know about them?
Old 09-03-2002, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 268 Searay Sundancer once. It had all the amenities of a 280 ss in fact it is setup about the same. The boat had a single 430hp merc and was really underpowered in my opinion. Go with twins
Old 09-04-2002, 12:21 PM
RyanMcQ

Default 280SS

I have a 1998 280SS with single 454 MPI. At 310hp it looks underpowered on paper, but I think the torque characteristics combined with the Bravo III drive make it good enough for a family cruiser. I have no problem planing the boat with 8 adults on board (using tabs of course) and it cruises at a modest 25mph.

Compared to an "offshore" boat this may be underpowered, but what the hell. It works for my family. Maintenance is much more bearable. And I may do a little better on fuel than twins.

Don't get me wrong - if money were no object I would want twin 454s or more, but I was going for most family fun for the dollar.

I've been thrilled with the cockpit comfort and layout. The galley in the cockpit really makes a lot of sense for the way most people will use a 28 foot boat.

It's small enough to live in a boatel with no bottom paint and is just comfortable enough for nice overnight trips.

The one thing that I will say that sucks about owning a 28 foot boat with a single engine is low speed maneuvering around docks and such. You have to think and anticipate to be successful
Attached Thumbnails Anyone been on / driven a 280 or 330 SS?-cockpit_small.jpg  

Old 09-06-2002, 01:09 PM
ggross144

Thumbs up

I've got a 2001 280SS with T-260HP. It's great because I've got kids and can do the family thing but also go on poker runs with the wife and friends. I can't stay in front but with a max speed of 50+ I can mak'em throw some coals on the fire to pass me.

There's lots of cockpit room and the kids can watch TV in the Cuddy Cabin. In fact, on the last poker run we had 9 adults since one of the fast boats broke down and we picked some of there crew.

It does well in the rough water (Chesapeake Bay) and it's a very stable boat.

Old 09-12-2002, 06:21 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Dockrocker, don't feel alone. My first mate is also pressuring me to consider a Sun Sport. I like the 330, the 280 cabin is pretty tiny. I hate to give up my 311 but she does have a point that the increased cockpit space would be real, real nice. Not going to buy new though, I'll leave the new ones for the rich guys. Gotta find a nice used 330, full camper canvas and a trailer. Any offers out there??
Old 09-12-2002, 06:56 AM
RyanMcQ

Default 330 SS Trailerable?

Thirdbird -

Have you checked to see if the 330 SS is trailerable? I know the 280 has a 9' beam and weighs about 6500 lbs. The 330's dimensions are considerably larger I assume.

Just curious.

Old 09-12-2002, 08:28 AM
Registered

Ryan,
I don't intend to trailer the 330 all the time. I would have it at a dock (hate to though, they get whicked scuzzy when moored). I just want a trailer so I can store it myself and pull it occasionally to clean the crap off. I know it's wider than the legal limit without a special permit, but then again, I don't always do everything legal-like
Old 09-12-2002, 10:40 AM
.XO.

The 330 is trailerable!!! I bought a new 2002 this past spring. I normally keep it in the rack
but have trailered a few times including a trip up North in Michigan with no problems at all. The
trailer itself is the normal width with the boat being wider and the whole rig doesn't seem to be that obvious of a wide load.

Old 09-12-2002, 10:47 AM
Registered

.XO., whats the beam on your 330. Is it 10'? Also, what does it weigh? Wondering if my '99 3/4 ton 'Burb with 454 will pull it. Truck is rated for about 10k.

Quick Reply: Anyone been on / driven a 280 or 330 SS?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.