Notices
Formula

added some bigger arrestors 6.2 gained 2mph

Old 05-27-2015, 06:14 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4mulafastech
That's a really good gain. It says it doesn't replace the plastic models. Were your stock ones plastic?

My 2006 6.2's have Mercruiser 863416T flame arrestors which are plastic. I see Mallory makes one that replaced those but have not read any reviews where it made an improvement. Did you try any back-to-back test runs?

http://www.cpperformance.com/p-23225...r-863416t.aspx
I think I'm going to order these as they are a direct replacement for the plastic flame arrestors. I'll post some information once I have a chance to try them out.

Dave
Old 05-27-2015, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those look just like the style that I installed. I can't see how they would just bolt on as at least the studs would need to be longer to account for the larger filter height. I would get a confirmation from them before ordering.

If they do then it would a lot of time.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by COOPS
The studs that hold the throttle body down are actally two pieces. The upper cylinder unscrews from the throttle body stud. The throttle body stud is 6m and I just took a 6m union and mig welded it to a 1/4 inch threaded rod. That became the new upper stud for the air cleaners.
The other issue was the throttle linkage. If you simply tighten the air cleaner to the throttle body the linkage will hit the base. I made a one inch thick adaptor out of 4 inch diameter pvc pipe cut on a power miter saw. This spaced it up and out if the way of the linkage. It also gets the air flow straighter into the throttle body instead of that 90 degree turn. I think I will play around with spacer heights to see if I can almost turn into a velocity stack. I have more than enough height under the sunpad.
Thanks for the details. I agree that spacing it up should help the flow. Like you said, plenty of room for that.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 08 fastech 292
I think I'm going to order these as they are a direct replacement for the plastic flame arrestors. I'll post some information once I have a chance to try them out.

Dave
That would be great. Takes some pics too. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 08 fastech 292

Dave
Just wrote to CPP and they said that is not a direct fit for 6.2s. I tried ordering something a few years back either Mallory or K&N and they did not work so sent them back.

I would really like to see pics of your setup Coops. Isn't PVC flamable? I know the plastic they use is something other than pvc but not sure what. This would definitely be a neat how to write up with pics if you had time.

Thanks.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Anymore updates? Has anyone tried just modifying their existing arrestors? Maybe screening a portion of the top cap?
Old 06-01-2015, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sub 50 degree temps this weekend...the boat stayed covered.

I will get some pics this weekend and if the pvc melts you have other problems...major problems!

Fire, fuel, booommm.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

If someone could fab a kit they'd definitely make some cash.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:14 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,233 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain YARRR
If someone could fab a kit they'd definitely make some cash.
Pocket money. Here and there.

I have some experience in this performance world satisfying some 'niche' parts.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

what have got SB?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.