new shifter controls

Notices
Formula

new shifter controls

Old 11-05-2002, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default new shifter controls

It really looks like the winter blues have started to set in , the sun starts to set at 4:30 its hard to adjust. I know many of you are planning winter projects. Now that the boat is clean an winterized, I am considering putting new shifters in. I found some at the eddie marine site,they were graffig shifters about $350 an up.I only have a single bbc . do I need new cables? Any help would be great. Just think six months to go!!
Old 11-05-2002, 08:20 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't start counting days yet... it only makes it go slower
But I certainly know what you mean by the sun setting at 430pm
I'm in south Jersey and we're not much different. Just checked.
Ironically enough todays sunset was 454.
Mines almost done , just have to buff right side of hull( everything else is done) , repack wheel bearings and shrinkwrap.

Oh yeah, I don't THINK you need new cables

Last edited by mopower; 11-17-2002 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:08 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It depends on what cables you have. You may need to get new ends or you could need new cables. It just depends on what you have in there now.

Jon
Old 11-11-2002, 07:35 PM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I Up-Graded to Gaffrig, I bought the new cables. They are made by an Italian company named "UltraFlex". It was worth the extra $$. You also need Mercruiser adaptors for your application. Hope this helps.
Old 11-16-2002, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When and why do you decide to upgrade? Have considered for the cosmetic aspect but my originals work great How old is your 242 mine is only 12 years old.
jrocket
Old 11-18-2002, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

jrocket, my 242ls is an 87 the is hull is mint never been beached and the interior is in excellent condition , this past june put a new 454 in runs great. I have not really had any problems ,but it is only the single shifter just thought it might look nice.to have two sticks. MY GOD WHEN IS SPRING COMING!!!
Old 11-20-2002, 09:15 PM
Registered

Sorry, I thought they all had a seperate shifters the 91 has both sticks.

Jay
Old 11-21-2002, 04:58 PM
The Raven

This is for an 1984 242 with twins.
Most all older Formulas, come merc cables that are NOT compatable with dual lever controls.
You will most likely need to change to a MORSE type cable with an adaptor end. But well worth the time and trouble.
GOOD LUCK

Old 11-25-2002, 09:53 PM
Unchained

I just replaced the quicksilver controls in my twin engine 272 SR1 with a Gaffrig 4-lever control. This conversion required shift cables with threaded ends(Morse 33C's). The length of cable needed should be stamped on the end of your current shift cable, probably in inches. I needed a 16',17',18' and 19' cable to do the job. Also don't forget to ask for shift cable adapters for the shift plate and throttle linkage. The best price I found on the controls and cables were at Offshore Performance Specialties in Ft. Myers, FL. 239-489-0884. I also needed to buy 2 on-off-on rocker switches to put forward of the Gaffrigs' for drive trim. The finshed product has a flush fit and high performance look that looks much better than the big hump of a Quicksilver control box. Good luck with this easy conversion that will bring value to your Formula.

Old 11-26-2002, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

unchained-
I plan on doing the same this winter to the 242LS. Did you decide not to go with trim-in-throttle? I plan on having a trim switch in the port throttle, as well as individual rockers for stbd, port, and both (diodes required for wiring).
Post a picture for all of us if you can!
Jim

Quick Reply: new shifter controls

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.