292 Fastech refurbishment thread >

292 Fastech refurbishment thread

Notices
Formula

292 Fastech refurbishment thread

Old 05-14-2022, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 290 Likes on 167 Posts

Mine's on the lift for summer! Bring on the sunburn!
Old 05-16-2022, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Franks292
Whats up guys?! Life has been crazy for me lately, been working 55 to 60 hours a week, but I have a few updates...
I'm still rigging the hull, so far the transom housings have been installed, steering holes have been all Drilled, now I am working on setting up the K planes and have already started drilling holes for those.
-The interior-
I have a custom gauge bezel being made as we speak for my new gauge and trim indicator setup. Purchased a new dash remote for the stereo. Purchased a hatch air conditioning unit for when i stay on the boat at the marina. Also have new LED cup holders.
-The drives-
Bought another lower for my port side because of a badly bent skeg on the old one. Dropped props off to be touched up and polished at my local prop shop.
-AND NOW FOR THE ENGINES!-
Waiting on Pistons and Rods as of last week. I decided to upgrade my cylinder heads also, which were surprisingly in stock at Summit. Excited to see Tyler work his magic on my engines. My goal is to make just as much or more than the mercury racing 377 scorpions. The 350 mag mpi Is seriously overlooked in modification for performance, I hope to change that with these engines. I simply can't afford to spend $30k on a set of new, drop-in engines, so I'm working with what I have.
Hope to bring you guys more updates more often. More pics coming soon too!
Amazing work! I have a 2001 312 fastech and I'm starting to look for possible engine upgrades on 6.2 MPI's
Old 09-10-2022, 03:14 AM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 49 Posts

Hey guys, just thought I would come back with an update. After much thought and consideration I've decided to make this public. My engines sat in Tyler's shop for 10 months in the corner collecting dust. Lost my entire season after he claimed he could get them done in time. After several unanswered calls, left messages and no returned calls, I made the decision to drive the 5 hours and pick my engines up. I've since called 2 other shops that also don't like to return calls. Another builder won't touch them because they're small blocks. What the f*** is going on in the marine world?!?!?! Looking like I will have to use a local machine shop and do the assembly work myself. I've built a few small blocks in the past, just gonna send the ECMs out to get programmed and find a place willing to dyno them for me (if anyone is willing to even lift a finger for that). As for Tyler, people can make up all the excuses they want for him, but my experience sucked to say the least and I won't recommend anyone bring their stuff to his shop. I hear he does good work but he did nothing for me except wasted $500 of my fuel and 10 months of my time. Anyways, here's a few pictures and a sneak peak of some new parts I ordered since somebody else wouldn't

Old 09-10-2022, 09:18 AM
Registered

10 months?! You are more patient than I am. Damn man. that sucks. If I knew how to do more engine internals I'd help out. Love working on this stuff.

The following users liked this post:
Franks292 (02-18-2023)
Old 09-28-2022, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 802 Likes on 311 Posts

That’s a bummer man !!! My build had taken me better part of four years but I have learned to do as much as I can on my own least at that point you can’t be mad at anyone and feels good when it’s done!!! Hope you get it turned around !!
Old 09-29-2022, 06:17 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 137 Posts

I feel your pain with Tyler...waited 3 months for him to dyno tune mine and after not being able to get ahold of him for the last 2 months I went somewhere else which turned into an even bigger nightmare but then went to a guy over by chicago recommended by Dan ICDEDPPL and was the best experience of my life. Anyway..incredible build!! went through all of this on my nordic heat for the past few years and still working on it/changing things. I will try to find good pics of my exhaust as it's very similar to what you mentioned earlier and I have a bravo style drive. Dry to tip, comes in behind the motor, and dumps center mass above the outdrive. Keep up the good work!! I'll try to find some pics and post them for you..may give you some direction/ideas for yours.
Old 09-29-2022, 06:36 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 137 Posts

Bout all the pics I could find through the years for the exhaust...I can get more if you need them! Don't have cats like the cool kids but figured I post the dogs hahaha
The following 2 users liked this post by BBYSTWY:
Franks292 (02-18-2023), SabrToothSqrl (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 03:35 AM
Registered

Hey guys, thought I'd give an update. I Have had alot going on in life. I've changed direction on the project. At the end of the day I'm wanting more and more to move into a bigger boat. Instead of pouring more money into this one I've decided to just do what needs to be done and call it a day. Gonna keep the stock engines and just replace gaskets and the fuel systems, ive sold off the aluminum cylinder heads and some of the other parts I bought since I don't plan on pulling the engines apart anymore. Keeping it simple. Doing the necessities and that's it.

Also to be totally honest, I'm burnt out. I've been screwed 6 ways from Sunday on this boat. Transom, Engines, dashboard, cockpit cover, trailer, etc. Gotta know when to say when. Decided I will be putting it up for sale this spring/early summer If all goes well and moving onto bigger and better.

Now that the depressing part of the update is over, the hull rigging is coming along slowly. I bought a few more speakers for the cockpit and a new remote for the stereo (which never worked since I had the boat). Little by little...
Old 02-18-2023, 03:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BBYSTWY
I feel your pain with Tyler...waited 3 months for him to dyno tune mine and after not being able to get ahold of him for the last 2 months I went somewhere else which turned into an even bigger nightmare but then went to a guy over by chicago recommended by Dan ICDEDPPL and was the best experience of my life. Anyway..incredible build!! went through all of this on my nordic heat for the past few years and still working on it/changing things. I will try to find good pics of my exhaust as it's very similar to what you mentioned earlier and I have a bravo style drive. Dry to tip, comes in behind the motor, and dumps center mass above the outdrive. Keep up the good work!! I'll try to find some pics and post them for you..may give you some direction/ideas for yours.
Biggest thing that pissed me off about Tyler was being lied to. Told me he would have them done by beginning of summer 22 when I dropped them off in November 21, That was a lie. Said he couldn't find parts, (cylinder heads, pistons, rods to be specific, all off the shelf parts, nothing custom) that was a lie. Then when he said he ordered parts (pistons, rods, cams, rockers), that was a lie. Then when I showed up to pick them up he couldn't care less. All around bad experience and a huge waste of time and fuel.
Old 02-18-2023, 12:19 PM
Registered

ahhww man, that really sucks. People that do that stuff to others should be... well.. my lawyer says it's time to shut up.
Smart to cut your losses and pivot. Many people look at things entirely wrong: https://thedecisionlab.com/biases/the-sunk-cost-fallacy
Love my 292, but I'd also like a bigger boat. Something with real storage would be nice. And I'd like to cook on it.
I keep hoping to see a good number of used boat cheap after all the covid buyer's realize that boating isn't for them, but I'm guessing they mostly bought smaller runabouts. not the 30-40' stuff off shore boaters are into.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.