Notices
Formula

Paging Cuda/Audiofn

Old 11-16-2002, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paging Cuda/Audiofn

Cuda,
A while back yall were talking bout putting bolsters in your 242. Did you ever do it? My question is the floor mounts are alot different than the swivels. If or how were you going to accomplish this and make it look right? I have a 91' 242 and really want to do this but worried on the finished look. What do ya think?
jrocket
Old 11-17-2002, 01:47 PM
Banned

I haven't started on the 242 yet, I need to finnish the 20 first. I am sure it will need different mounting. My blueprint in my mind goes something like this: Cut a 6 inch access hole in the deck in the center of where the four legs will attach to the deck. Drill through the deck for the bolts and attach a quarter inch stainless backing plate under the deck, maybe one long one that covers both legs on one side. I will drill the holes in the backing plate off center so that I can make the plate wider and still be able to get my fingers on the bolts. I think this will make a strong base. Then get an access plate kit, and finish it off.

Does anyone see any obvious faults with this plan? Where is our frustrated engineer McCollinstn?
Old 11-17-2002, 01:51 PM
Banned

Jrocket, did you find some bolsters?
Old 11-17-2002, 05:07 PM
Registered

Not yet other than new ones seems to be a comodity
Old 11-18-2002, 09:16 AM
Registered

Cuda,

Although I'm sure you have considered this, I just wanted to make sure.

The only thing I noticed missing for stability and strength would be mounting the upper bolster to the side wall too. Some aftermarket bolsters come with the hardware for an angle piece behind the bolster, but in that absence, be sure to fabricate a bracket to through bolt to the side with backing plates too.

I hope this helps.
Old 11-18-2002, 12:06 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Cuda your thought process is a good one. WAY overkill maybe but at least you will know. NOW the only thing I am thinking with what you are talking about is

1) As Mr Magoo mentioned the most important thing is to have that bracket to the back to hold the seat there. If you have that bracked you can probably just screw with regular screws into the floor. That is how Cig, and many many others do it.

2) If you go with your 1/4" plate under the floor then just drill and tap that plate so that acts as your nut under the floor.

3) Don't forget about all the foam under the floor. When you cut out the opening you will also have to cut out a lot of foam to get over to that thing.

In my boat I have a LOT of holes that will need to be filled in. For now I am going to match it up as best I can and glass them full. In a year or two my floor is going to be taken up so that I can check the tank and stringers and what not. At that time I will grind them down and replace the non skid. Another option is to put down carpet and that is something that I am also considering.

Jon
Old 11-18-2002, 10:33 PM
Registered

Jon,

My 242 has the original removable Formula carpet still. Maybe that would be a solution for temp fix. And it looks good
Just a thought

Jay