Formula 271 fastech vs Donzi 26ZX >

Formula 271 fastech vs Donzi 26ZX

Notices
Formula

Formula 271 fastech vs Donzi 26ZX

Old 06-11-2021, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 311 Likes on 183 Posts

That's not a real listing...... it's dated 2015. Gotta check listing dates when looking at that website. If your going to go twin big block might as well add another 6 feet of boat.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 290 Likes on 167 Posts

I'm surprised such a crappy site even exists. You can't search, can't sort, it's just crap all around.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 353 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieWhiskey85
I completely missed velocity for some reason, looks like a cross between a sonic and a formula. I don't know much about velocity. Will have to do some digging, how are they in rough seas compared to the formula and Donzi? The speed certainly seems up there and the price point is nice. What's the catch? Lol.
I think the Velocity is a good Riding boat. However the Formula is heavier and does not have a pad bottom so it may ride better in some conditions. Many say that Velocity's are drivers boats. It is true it takes some seat time to learn how to get the best ride. They like to ride up on top balanced on the pad. Once you learn this it is second nature. They are fast but a stable safe boat without steps. They also have a long successful race record.

Good luck in your search,

Padraig
Old 06-14-2021, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Velocity

Have you looked at a Velocity? I have an Advantage but I tested a Velocity260 last year and I liked it for the nice high freeboard…gives you a little bit more cabin space.
The following 2 users liked this post by bigwaveohs:
Padraig (06-14-2021), Revd Up (06-15-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieWhiskey85
Kids are good with anything on the water. Wife would have preferred a bowrider but going out in rough water on the sound or possible ocean just makes that seem impractical so she is warming up to it. Coupled with I've been wanting one for 20 years and nagging her about it since we met she is sort of caputlating, lol.

That's gorgeous,. Budget is 45k or less ideally. I've thought of a 25 outlaw, not sure I could afford a 29.

All valid points I agree with 100%. Front runner right now is probably the Fastech 271 with a blue motor or at least a 496ho. Seems to be the roomiest cabin and the best quality of the bunch. Weight with the single is pretty good too for the F150 towing it around. Only hangup in my mind is do I go twins and switch over then to the Donzi 28ZX. They seem to be running about the same as the formulas 271 with a big single.

How concerned should I be with the non closed loop cooling system motors? What type of maintenance would I be looking at above what I was used to? I agree with fighting the motor in small spaces suck. I like that the Donzi the whole back seat raises up for easier access.

Appreciate all the input from everyone. It's very insightful!
I have a Formula 271 Sr1 with a 496 HO Bravo1 X drive Very pleased with the boat ,) Its a very nice allround singel engine boat.. Not the fastest out there, but decent, after changing from stock exhaust to CMI E-Top headers I reached 64,6 mph (Gps) with a stock Bravo1 24`proppeler.. Removed the silent thunder exhaust platform for a long time ago he he. If you buy a 271 fastech you should be able for a couple of mph more at least on the paper..

Having fun in the Oslo Fjord
The following 2 users liked this post by Monaco20:
CharlieWhiskey85 (06-14-2021), SabrToothSqrl (06-14-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Fasttech...donzi....baja

[IQUOTE=CharlieWhiskey85;4792895]Hey gang! Been a lurker for what feels like a decade. I've been dying to buy my own performance boat since about 2001 when I was in high school. Had my powerboat

Well long story short on the history I'm hoping to jump in next summer/fall timeframe so being about a year out I'm trying to narrow it down a bit. Boat would mostly be myself, the wife and two kids under 7 years old. Lake boating 75% of the time and sound/ocean the other 25% with the ocean only on super nice days. Would like to trailer to Florida occasionally as well.

I've considered heavily the Donzi 28ZX but I feel like twin engines are pushing my 9,500 lb towing capacity in the F150 too tight for comfort. No point maxing out the truck.

That brings me down to the Donzi 26zX and the Formula 271 fastech as my front runners. Possibly a 26 outlaw or similar Baja as well. Trying to stay model years 2001 and newer and a budget of mid 40k's

What are your thoughts between them. I'm leaning towards a formula with the right motor. Preferably a 500efi/525 or a 496 HO if I can find it. Should I avoid the 502's?

Would like to be able to hit 65-66 with either boat. I know the Donzi will be a tic faster but the formula would be better built and ride better so the wife and kids would be happy. I see a nice looking 271 with a rebuilt 500efi on powerboatlistings but Im sure it won't be around when I'm ready to pull the trigger next year. Also it's dam hard to find one to get a feel for the layout with the family in it.

Thanks in advance for your input and advice. I'd also like a Pantera 28 but doubt the wife would enjoy it as much, lol.[/QUOTE]
I've owned all three...if you want a little more luxury.. and stepped hull..formula....
if you want basic 24 degree.deap V. ....Baja
I own a 26zx now...stepped...nicely equipped...not as luxurious as formula but donzi did a really nice job....what I really like, is the synthetic transom and stringers. I'm not sure Baja or formula went to that...but I don't think ROT is in my future....ride? Floating on top.of.water feel...formula.and donzi....plowing thru waves... baja
I'm a fan of 24degree rise...although the stepped hull does really well in rough stuff too. Just a different ride...imo
Impressed withy 26 zx...actually may move up to 33zx some day soon
The following 3 users liked this post by mortgageguy:
CharlieWhiskey85 (06-14-2021), Padraig (06-14-2021), rak rua (06-14-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Something else to compare.

I have an ‘05 Velocity 290 with a 496HO that I bought new and it has been a great boat for the lower Chesapeake Bay. For a single engine boat with a fair sized cabin (definitely tight). I originally looked at it because it has a small inclosed bathroom with a porta potty for the women.
After running it in smooth and rough water I was sold on it. The only thing I had to do when I first bought it was install a set of K-planes to help with the rough water close to the mouth of the bay. After running it for the last 15 years I would still buy it again.
The following users liked this post:
Padraig (06-14-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 07:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 497 Posts

[QUOTE mortgageguy……I've owned all three...if you want a little more luxury.. and stepped hull..formula....
if you want basic 24 degree.deap V. ....Baja
I own a 26zx now...stepped...nicely equipped...not as luxurious as formula but donzi did a really nice job....what I really like, is the synthetic transom and stringers. I'm not sure Baja or formula went to that...but I don't think ROT is in my future....ride? Floating on top.of.water feel...formula.and donzi....plowing thru waves... baja
I'm a fan of 24degree rise...although the stepped hull does really well in rough stuff too. Just a different ride...imo
Impressed withy 26 zx...actually may move up to 33zx some day soon[/QUOTE]

Some good info there, but just a word of note….
I hope your Donzi has composite transom and stringers as promoted in the owners manuals but don’t take it for granted. I owned a 27ZR and in the original books, it was stated they had a composite transom. This was not true, mine had wood in the transom and I had to have it repaired.
Don’t be scared of a timber transom, just be aware. 🙂

RR
Old 06-14-2021, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another thought...

Have you considered a Fountain 27 Fever? It's my current boat. I've owned a couple Donzis and I find the Fountain's s design, construction, quality of fittings and layout to be superior. No corners cut - Latham steering, Azimuth compass, Mercrcuser 502, Bravo 1... Single engine: Pay a few extra $$$ and get the Boat US unlimited towing package, along with a good anchor and an extra capacity cooler (for obvious reasons...).