Best Bottom Wax/Spray coating

Notices
Formula

Best Bottom Wax/Spray coating

Old 01-29-2023, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 290 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Best Bottom Wax/Spray coating

Every fall I have to use hull cleaner to get the Chesapeake mustache off my boat. my white boat turns awful tan/brown by the end of the season.
I'm told it's from all the tanin, decaying plant matter in the water.

Are there any waxes/materials I can apply to the boat to abate some of this? It makes it look awful, and I swear I lose a few MPH/MPG by the end of the season. It's a FasTech 292, No bottom paint.
I usually wax the deck, sides, etc each spring, and was thinking I'd add hull to the list, see if it made a difference.

I've used
Amazon Amazon
for a while now. Seems to work well.

Old 01-29-2023, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

Friend of mine had his hull ceramic coated. Seemed to keep it cleaner when it's in the lake for a couple of weeks. It's trailer kept for the most part so I don't know how well it would hold up in the water all season
Old 01-29-2023, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

I keep mine in freshwater. That said I use "the works" and hydrogen peroxide mixed 1 to 1.. I tried a commercial cleaner boat shops use but found it can cause fading if left on more than a few minutes.
Old 01-31-2023, 03:44 PM
BEACH PARTY
Platinum Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 725 Posts

You may slow the boat down waxing the bottom.

I'm down in the lower Chesapeake and deal with this some - I never leave the boat in the water more than a night or two. Once it's back on the trailer, I use "The Works" to clean it off - does a great job and cheap!

How does the peroxide affect the application?
Old 01-31-2023, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
Every fall I have to use hull cleaner to get the Chesapeake mustache off my boat. my white boat turns awful tan/brown by the end of the season.
I'm told it's from all the tanin, decaying plant matter in the water.

Are there any waxes/materials I can apply to the boat to abate some of this? It makes it look awful, and I swear I lose a few MPH/MPG by the end of the season. It's a FasTech 292, No bottom paint.
I usually wax the deck, sides, etc each spring, and was thinking I'd add hull to the list, see if it made a difference.

I've used
https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-M613...s%2C107&sr=8-3
for a while now. Seems to work well.
What were you spraying on there to get the scum off? My boat never sits in the water over night and I get the same thing. I have to use Hull Cleaner and scrub the snot out of it to get it off. I put a heavy coat of wax on afterwards and it does help.
Old 02-01-2023, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 463 Likes on 273 Posts

I have used this for several years for scum. As soon as I pull the boat out of the water I spray it on and wipe it off with a towel

I would rather have a clean boat than the last 1mph. Usually when I buy a boat, I will give the bottom a good buffing and a coat of good paste wax to seal the pores in the gelcoat. After that, the scum comes right off with the lucas spray wax.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Power 1 works pretty well. I've never had to scrub using it. Just spray it on, let it sit for 10 minutes and hose it off.

​​​​​​FOY - Power One #1
Old 02-01-2023, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 290 Likes on 167 Posts

I'm on a boat lift all summer, we wash it, but can only do (reach) so much. Waxing and losing 1-2 MPH won't kill me. The brown crap will however.
I'm fairly sure by the end of the season the top speed drops from the brown stuff too.

How about this? I'll WAX, JUST the ONE side of the hull this spring - Driver (STRB), that's the side you see from the boat lift/dock.

I'll take pics throughout the season, and we will know if it works!

Homemade Hull Cleaner:
I use 2 Cups acid to 1 gallon hot water, with a good amount of dawn in there to help it stick to the hull longer. Rinse after. use at your OWN RISK.
It is a miracle cleaner for this brown crap on the hull.

UGH. Why is this forum breaking links?

https:// www.maximpulse.com / oxalic_acid_diy.html

remove the spaces.

https://www.google.com/search?client...er+oxalic+acid
Attached Files
File Type: html
oxalic_acid_diy.html (57.7 KB, 105 views, Original Link)

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; 02-01-2023 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-01-2023, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking into the Hull Maxx by Nasco for the end of 2023. Other then that, I think a coat of wax, having in scrubbed by someone who does in-water hull cleaning bi weekly, would be the best approach.
Old 02-01-2023, 02:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 867 Likes on 325 Posts

I dont think waxing the bottom holds up after 1 run at 30 miles per hour. Waxing the hull sides, maybe lasts 10 hours of use, especially in salt. Thats my unscientific opinion just observation.

However that Lucas spray wax is the chit! It smells like bubblegum, use it on the interior all the time for years, even on the vinyl, love that stuff.
The following 2 users liked this post by Keith Atlanta:
Padraig (02-01-2023), SabrToothSqrl (02-01-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.