Newbie Considering a 382 SR-1

Notices
Formula

Newbie Considering a 382 SR-1

Old 11-17-2023, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to say thank you all for the replies. I apologize for the delay, but this month has been brutal. Lots of really good info here, and thank you for guiding this newbie. I found a Formula 382 SR-1 that I really like and may move forward on. Of course I plan on getting it looked at by a surveyor before purchasing. I have some questions about the boat:

1) I own a 2013 GMC Denali 2500 HD with the Duramax Diesel. GM says that the conventional towing capacity is 13,000 lbs. Google shows the boat weighs 10,450 lbs. The boat comes with an aluminum trailer, that I imagine weighs about 1,000 pounds? Filling up the fuel tanks would put me over capacity, but I could hold about 60% fuel. Has anyone had success towing these boats with a 3/4 ton, or would I need to get a dually or look at a smaller boat?

2) This particular boat does not have a generator. The owner said that he actually opted for one without the generator because of the weight and the maintenance (due to it's position in the boat). The boat has A/C and he said he'll either hook up a portable Honda generator to the boat or tie up to someone that has power (or use shore power). Would you guys opt for one with the generator, or is without the generator more desirable? Would having a boat with no generator take a hit during resale?

3) I will most-definitely get a survey before purchasing the boat. But I've heard mixed reviews on SR-1's with regards to transom and stringer rot. I know a lot has to do with how the boat was cared for, and I also understand that this is an almost 20 year-old boat. Are the SR-1's more or less susceptible to stringer and transom rot? I've also read that the SR-1's had the transom and stringers encased in glass which helped deter rot.

4) There is also a slightly newer 382 FASTECH on the market, however has higher time engines that is $10k more than this SR-1. The FASTECH does not come with a trailer, so that's something I'd have to spend $10-$13k more on. Is the extra $20-$23 more worth getting a FASTECH? I did a little research and see some debate where some folks actually like the SR-1's more. I do like that the FASTECH does not have wood stringers, so that is a plus, but as I understand the transom is still wood. The 5-6 MPH difference on the FASTECH does not really matter to me.

5) What is a fair value for a 1995 382 SR-1? The boat is in very good condition and has stock 502's with about 180 hours on them. Drives are Bravo 1's. Boat looks to be well maintained and has been stored indoors by the current owner. The boat has the A/C option but no generator. Everything seems to work except the shower head next to the swim platform. The boat also has a nice cockpit cover, bimini top, full water-repellent boat cover, Garmin GPS, depthfinder, TV, fridge, head. The boat comes with an aluminum 3-axle trailer. Overall I think it's a very nice boat, but we'll see what the surveyor says.

If you made it this far. Thanks a ton!
Old 11-19-2023, 11:54 PM
BEACH PARTY
Platinum Member

Received 1,270 Likes on 714 Posts

1-ton truck for sure.

Older boat… make sure to plan on unforeseen expenses. Check transom and stringers thoroughly. Do not plan on 180-hour engines being long lasting - I would rather they have some hours on them… sitting. Doesn’t do them good.
Old 11-21-2023, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

You'll have to upgrade your truck for sure. The aluminum I beam trailer for my 35 is in the 2000lb range, a bit over if I remember correctly. I'd imagine one for a 382 would be close. I tow with a 2022 2500 rated for 17k max towing.
The following users liked this post:
105Fountain (11-21-2023)