New to the genre looking for a boat >

New to the genre looking for a boat

Notices
Formula

New to the genre looking for a boat

Old 09-01-2024, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 457 Likes on 273 Posts

A wise man told me many years ago to buy as new/low hours as you can afford.
Old 09-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by anger mgmt
Not sure why the seller won't wait for you before he launches the boat.
I think it’s absolutely plausible that he is just using it for own driving / fun during the becoming week. But still I was wondering what were the possible faults one could try to hide doing that 😅

Last edited by Heering80; 09-01-2024 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Registered

Went to see the boat today. Generally it was a very good experience. Our first time in this kind of boat. It was clean and clearly had been taken care of. We went 75 mph wot with ease. This was the boat with 454 hp420’s, borg warned and trs.

However, there were few things that made me a little bit unsure.
First, both engines started with a backfire or a bang around the carb. It didn’t repeat after that anymore.
Then after the engines were hot, they stalled on idle when going back to marina. Or I think another one of them did a few times. One time it triggered some alarm noise, which the seller said was oil pressure due to the stalled engine (which sounds about right to me).
Then another temp gauge was dead, the other was only slightly raised to around 150 if I remember correctly. It would have been nice to be able to see the temps. There were these stainles exhausts going from manifolds to the back. They were only slightly warm to the hand after some driving. One of them was a little on the hot side but not burning. Maybe they should’ve been equally hot?
Then lastly, the circuit broker for k-plane strbr side had gone off in the fuse box inside the rear seat. Both tabs seemed to work whem the button was pressed in the marina dock with no speed. I was thinking that did it mean the fuse had been passed with wiring. He couldn’t tell anything about it. It was 35A fuse, so woouldn’t want to guide that in wrong places.

Well, there’s my experience. How bad it seems to your ear?

Last edited by Heering80; 09-07-2024 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-07-2024, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

This a fresh or salt water boat? I'd ask when or if the manifolds /risers have been replaced .
Old 09-07-2024, 12:54 PM
Registered

This is a salt water boat, but the salt levels here are waay lower than what you have. I understood that he hasn’t done anything to manifolds and risers in 11 years. There were no leaks and they were shining bright outside, no rust nothing.
Old 09-07-2024, 01:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,301 Likes on 1,480 Posts

75 in that boat with those engines ? was that gps or the water meter
Old 09-07-2024, 01:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
75 in that boat with those engines ? was that gps or the water meter
that was gps. It was 65 knots but that translates to 75 mph doesn’t it? Three bladed mirages.
Old 09-09-2024, 02:01 AM
Registered

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

Does the 357 have Merctrans 2 trannys? Wasn't clear in the translation. Merctrans were no longer used by the time the 357 was avaliable. I wouldn't think someone would retrofit one into a Borg Warner TRS setup.

Note that TRS is difficult to find parts and find competent people to work on them. Sourcing parts in EU would be rough.

The Bravo 311 would be a better long term investment. But at 1000hrs, they're certainly due for a re-fresh. Price should reflect that.

TRS drives are reliable and very robust. But are not as hydrodynamic as a Bravo. 80s and early 90s Formula SR1s won't.set any speed.records, but are timeless in their styling.

Are you looking for next season? What is the cost to ship an North American boat to EU?

Last edited by Tartilla; 09-09-2024 at 02:24 AM.
Old 09-09-2024, 08:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tartilla
Does the 357 have Merctrans 2 trannys? Wasn't clear in the translation. Merctrans were no longer used by the time the 357 was avaliable. I wouldn't think someone would retrofit one into a Borg Warner TRS setup…

…Are you looking for next season? What is the cost to ship an North American boat to EU?
Yes the text says it has mercruiser transmission. Might be a mistake, but anything is possible with these things I guess.

I’m looking to buy after I have sold our current boat, which means next season or one after that. If a hard to pass opportunity would pop up before that, it would be possible to buy earlier too. I think 311 is a model that could be easily imported since there are some units sold here as new at some point. There was some 27? model that was for sale there that I asked about. The dealer told it might be difficult to get CE-certificates for it, and that the engine would certainly no be eligible for that. Transportation costs could be significant, but I have no idea how bad.. Maybe $5K? But yeah, there would certainly be much more to choose from over there. I would just have to buy without seeing it live.

Last edited by Heering80; 09-09-2024 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-11-2024, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you looked at this one: https://www.blocket.se/annons/vastma...is_/1400768162 ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.