Anyone ridden on a 400SS?

Notices
Formula

Anyone ridden on a 400SS?

Old 03-01-2003, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

A local one with HP500's and Bravo 3's is "supposed" to run 67.

A buddy of mine dusted him on my jetski (Ultra150).
He said he crept up on him while he was running 45 and when he got beside him, the guy firewalled it. The jetski showed 62 at a matched speed. He then squeezed it on the jetski and left him in the dust. (the speedo on the ski at 62 corresponds to 56 GPS - the little ski will run 71 GPS).

That particular boat has eaten some cam lobes and has melted two sets of B3 drives. The first pair was reported to have corrosion problems, but the second set was factory fresh and still wouldn't last. The boat has been on a lift since it has been on this lake. Beautiful boat, but not a speedster.

I'd rather have the 370SS.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:51 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by mcollinstn
A local one with HP500's and Bravo 3's is "supposed" to run 67....That particular boat has eaten some cam lobes and has melted two sets of B3 drives. The first pair was reported to have corrosion problems, but the second set was factory fresh and still wouldn't last....Beautiful boat, but not a speedster.....
Never intended to be a "speedster": 58 mph is all anyone should expect with the 500's, which is top-of-the-line power. (58 also happens to be exactly what Formula predicts, and we witnessed on GPS.) 67?? Maybe with 900's! (Or at the bar after a few drinks.)

The boat would really come alive with some 440 Yanmars, but no one makes a stern drive to handle that torque. It's a little heavy for gas engines anyway (15,500 empty).

There is now a B3X to deal with the stresses, but the corrosion issues are stil open for debate on those things.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:22 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Chuck, ProCharger stuck some blowers on a 500 package a couple years back, and it seems like they ended up close to 70. If you have a garage full of replacement drives, that might work for you...
Old 03-11-2003, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any of you guys interested in a used 2000 400 SS??? My friend is selling his and he will sell for $190,000 for a quick sale. Why is he selling, to buy a newer 400 SS with 500 EFI's, the only reason. He is original owner and has basically used it about 2.5 seasons. Boat is loaded with 502's and all options except GPS. It is always professionally maintained and they keep the boat extremly clean...I know because I boat with him a lot!!

Boat is Fresh Water used only on Lake Huron, St. Clair and Erie. Has about 200 hours on engines and less than 25 on Gen Set.

Please contact me directly and I will provide his info. I am not a broker, just a friend who saw this post.

I love the 400 SS also, that's why we just bought one today!!!

I will be coming to this section more frequently.

Mike

email [email protected]