89 formula 357 w/trs

Notices
Formula

89 formula 357 w/trs

Old 07-10-2003, 07:52 PM
RNH

Question 89 formula 357 w/trs

help,
i'm looking at a used 357 with trs outdrives.
i have never owned a boat with trs and know about zero about them. any advice would be appreciated. when we test drove the boat the one (or both) of the transmissions were making some kind of weird noise in reverse only. the current owner tells me this is normal ( think the trans are borg-warrners but not positive). other than the noise in reverse the boat checks out "top notch".

also looking for a good used tri-ax trailer

thanks,
rnh

Old 07-10-2003, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my 94 303SR1 last year, I didn't get it surveyed until after the sale because it was required by the insurance co. My surveyor said he could have saved me some money by giving me a list of things that needed to be repaired, which I could have showed the dealer before the sale was completed.

My advise would be to get it surveyed! You will most likely have to for insurance anyway.

As far as TRS drives, I don't know anything about them, but have heard that once they are right, you can't kill them!

Sounds like an awesome boat, good luck with your decision.

Toolman
Old 07-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toolman is right. A survey saved my a$$ a few years back. Cost $325. but probably saved me many times that
TRS's came with two different transmissions...the Merc trans was the weaker one. I believe Borg-Warner made the good one.

Last edited by mopower; 07-10-2003 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:54 PM
Unchained

Post your TRS concerns on the tech forum or check the search engine at the bottom of the tech forum page.

I've read that the TRS is good for 750hp, but the you lose about 3 mph because the power has to go through the transmission, and then the drive. You also lose about 12 inches of engine compartment space compared to the Bravo.

Old 07-10-2003, 09:41 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Once you feel the TRS drive for a while and then go back to shifting a Bravo you will wonder why Merc ever changed. The TRS is a great reliable drive. It will give you some noise in reverse as there is a band clamp for lack of a better term that goes around the drum. I would have it checked out by a competent mechanic none the less just to be sure. Parts can take longer to get for them but they can all still be found once you know were to look.

Jon
Old 07-10-2003, 10:34 PM
Unchained

Offshore Performance Specialties in Ft. Myers, FL 239-489-0884 still stock new and used TRS drives and transom assemblies. Check them out if you need a TRS part.

Old 07-11-2003, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The TRS on my boat have been pretty much blletproof (knock on wood). The trans shift very nice, but yes they do wine a bit in reverse. I only hear it if the engine hatch is open and funneling the noise forward. With the hatch closed you can't hear it above the (muffled) exhaust noise.

-Greg
Old 07-11-2003, 06:40 AM
Scott72

We had TRS drives in a 86 Scarab. Pretty bullet proof drives. Avoid the Merc trannies, the just don't hold up as well. You can't put too much power through them either (500 is about max if you baby them). The Borg Warner is much better and can handle more. Easy to tell the difference, the Borg Warner is about twice the size as the Merc.

Old 07-14-2003, 12:39 PM
Preferredstock

I have a '89 357. Love the boat. When I bought the boat, the Gimbels were shot. I had them replaced and so far not a problem. I really enjoy how they shift. I'v had 2 other Formula's (24 & 27) I would take the TRS over the Bravo's.
Have to warn you. Its not a fast boat unless you put big engines in it. But a great ride.