Notices
Formula

402 Kaama

Old 07-14-2003, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find my F-402 doesn't need the tabs to get on plane (with TRS), but lowering them slightly (to just a little below parallel with the bottom) ill keep it on plane to much lower speeds. Mine had 3-blade cleavers on when I got it and also was very slow to plane. Switching to 4-blades (non-cleaver for the TRS) made a world of difference, but it still takes a few seconds to get up and going (big heavy boat).

-Greg
Old 07-18-2003, 12:48 AM
alj
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andrew-
Nice boat at what was probably an excellent price. Did it come with the trailer as well? Interior (cabin) looks to be updated too! Except for the burlwood. Formula must have gotten a deal on that stuff. I've been in the process of repowering my 1985 F402 Kaama and nothing is cooperating. But, I'm anxious to try out the rebuilt 540's next month.......Nice boat!
Old 07-18-2003, 10:08 AM
Registered

It did come with a nice trailer. It recently had new brakes, master cylinder, and bearings.

Yesterday I pulled the port engine/tranny, to find some scary stuff... White Marine of Portland, Or. had worked on the boat last. They left out more than half of the motor mount to stringer bolts! only 1 bolt( should be 3) holding the shared inboard motor mount to stringer bracket! On the port outboard side, only one bolt(should be 2) and no backing plate. so the one sucked through the stringer under all the stress. Basically only one shared bolt holding the port engine in place!

Purposed fix: to install a 4"X6"X1/2" aluminum backing plate and squeeze the stringer, and of course reinstall ALL the bolts this time.

Also found that one of the two u-joints between the trans and transom had been improperly installed. I just can't imagine how a qualified shop could do such shoddy work! Definitely not a case of "you get what you pay for". I have copies of over $18,000 from that shop for work done only 10 running hrs ago. I hope I don't find anymore of their **** work!
Old 07-18-2003, 01:13 PM
Banned

Be sure to seal the backing plates so the stringers don't get waterlogged, if they aren't already.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:18 PM
Registered

Yeah, I thought I would slather it with plenty of 5200. Also considering drilling down through the top of the stringer and filling it with epoxy. the stringer is already water-logged and beginning to deteriorate.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:52 PM
Registered

When it's good, It's GREAT!!! only problem is that the good times don't last long enough... I have had the boat in the water 4 times and each time something else goes T.U.

R&R'ed the trans. Had about 30min of good times before I lost a raw water hose at full throttle. By the time I noticed the bilge was very wet. Fixed that, no prob. Restarted the boat and port engine barely starts, blows a ton of black smoke. Find that crap in the fuel line is caught in the secondary float bowl of the carb. Fix that. Trailer up.

Next day, 10 min of fun. Stop at one of our favorite hang-outs on the water, shut down the big noise maker to talk. Won't restart, I call Vessel Assist for a jump. Doesn't work. Both batteries are stone dead and one starter is too tired to turn it over one more time. Swap starter and new batteries, we're going again.

Next day, thinking we're good to go today. Half an hour out I feel a vibration then, no oil pressure. Shut her down can't figure what was going on. Got oil. I cracked a fitting at remote filter, had good oil pressure, figure the sending unit went. Fire up head back home. Still have vibration. Get 30' from the dock and I lose fwd/rev. What now? Gimble bearing is gone! I mean ruined the through shaft, bearing, seal in the trans(lost oil), and only God knows what else! I think I am going to need a new transom plate too.

Somebody tell me that one day I will go for a ride and not brake down.
Old 07-26-2003, 06:47 PM
Banned

It will get better, just a few "growing pains" that all used boats go through. I have been having problems with mine, and hadn't been out for a month and a half. Today it was all worth it. We had a boat club get together at an island, and it was the first time I've been able to take the boat to a function. It was great flying by with the roostertail spraying, and pulling in with the big boys. When we were leaving, I saw some boat coming up fast behind me. When he was about a fifty yards behind me, I let the big dog eat! I think I ruined his day. Here he was thinking he was going to pick on the old, slow Formula, and all he got for his efforts was a tail in the eye! Debbie was loving life!
Old 07-26-2003, 07:09 PM
Registered

ajd.........Did ya ever give the ram rebuild a try?

Bob
Old 07-26-2003, 10:22 PM
Registered

Cuda, sounded like you had fun at I guess was Egmont Key with the OPBA. If that's where you were maybe I'll get a chance to meet you Thursday night at Gatorz.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:07 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Formula Outlaw
Cuda, sounded like you had fun at I guess was Egmont Key with the OPBA. If that's where you were maybe I'll get a chance to meet you Thursday night at Gatorz.
Were you one of the card boats at the last Opba poker run?

Quick Reply: 402 Kaama

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.