Power Upgrade >

Power Upgrade

Notices
Formula

Power Upgrade

Old 09-17-2003, 01:23 PM
GMScott

Default Power Upgrade

OK Formula Bros - need your opinion/advice here.

This is my first prop boat, 252 SS, cuddy, 7.4 mpi/BravoIII. (Had a 18' jet boat some 20 yrs. ago) I bought the Formula new in '99 and was limited to the current power package due to budget (paid cash with my last 20 yrs. savings) and followed the salesman's suggestion with the BravoIII.

Well, it's time for something different, or at least faster . . yeesss. I would really like to go bigger but that's not reality for some time yet. Actually, after the 2nd year I knew I needed more. The jet boat did 70+ mph.

I'm looking for a complete upgrade, I will not be doing the work, and would like to drop in one of those "Blue" Mercs and a Bravo I. I want something turn-key and reliable, which can give me the same trouble-free service as the 7.4 MPI has. (325 hours in 5 yrs. so far)

I love this boat, last year for that model, and was wondering if you think I'm wasting my money or if this would be more complicated than it's worth. I would like to get back to 70+ mph and think that the hull could definitely handle it - 8.6' beam.

What do you think and roughly how much do you think this would cost?

Thanks,
Jerry

Old 09-19-2003, 09:58 AM
wilerty

If you "must" have a blue motor then a a 496Mag HO might get you to 70mph and a 500HP EFI definately would. Big difference between the two in price. There are many other options to get to the 500HP(470HP) level for about half the cost.

The 496Mag HO would be just about as reliable as your current engine.

Old 09-21-2003, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I repowered my '98 252LS about two years ago from a 7.4MPI(310HP) to a 502MAG.

What a difference, wow! It has a bravo3/ 2.0 R/ 28P's and it was turning about 4200RPM's (WOT) at an indicated 58MPH. I always felt that the boat came overpropped from the factory.

The 502MAG now pulls the Formula to about 68MPH (65 max speedo + about 3MPH's) at 5100/5200 RPM's. Acceleration and mid range power are also a lot better with the 502MAG.

I feel like trying a 30P bravo3 but I can not find anyone in my area that has them. Maybe I'll send the 28P's out next year to have them balanced and re-pitched.

I am not sure how much a difference a bravo1 vs. a bravo3 would make at these speeds...anyone?

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

Jamal
Attached Thumbnails Power Upgrade-5100rpm.jpg