280SS opinions?

Notices
Formula

280SS opinions?

Old 01-11-2004, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 280SS opinions?

The wife likes the 280SS as a nice family boat, better seating, more amenities and more room than our 303SR1.

Anyone out there own one?
How do you like it?
Can I trailer it once in a while even though it's got a beam of 9'2"?
How about performance? Does it get out of the hole ok with twin 350's and what would the top speed be?
I know I'd be giving up speed over what I have now, but it is a nice boat!

toolman
Old 01-11-2004, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Toolman,
No first hand info here but, my wife likes the "SS" set up too. However, when we checked out a 280SS, we were both pretty unimpressed with the cabin. I know the emphasis of that boat is the cockpit, and the cockpit is nice, but the cabin is frggin' dinky. If we go "SS Style", we'll be going 330SS. Can't afford a new one and the used ones are still pulling pretty good dollar too. We'll let the used prices come down a little more and then maybe we'll be SSing in a 33 footer.

Hate to give up my 311 though, I really like the boat!! It's a joy to drive, rides nice in the slop and it looks cool
Old 01-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Registered

I've got a 2001 280ss w/ 5.7efi's.

Pop's out of the hole fine and top speed is 58 on gps. It's great for us. You can cruise at 40 easy and could cruise at 50 but you're running 4000rpm's to do it. We trailer and do mostly day boating with an occasional overnighter.

We use the cabin for it's head, a place for the kids to play, take a nap and get out of the rain.

The cockpit is awesome and we have had 8 people aboard at times. I'd like the 330SS for the size but's it's a little too big for trailering.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:26 PM
Registered

Familyman,

I assume you trailer your 280? No problem with the wide beam? Just asking.

Do you have bravo 3's or bravo 1's? I see most have bravo 3's I would guess for a better holeshot.
Also do any 280's have switchable exhaust, or do they all have thru-the-prop exhaust? Be nice to have that little rumble when you want it.

Thanks for your input and have fun with your boat.

Toolman
Old 01-16-2004, 12:48 PM
Registered

I haven't had any problems trailing, knock on wood. I've checked and it does measure 8'6" in the back at the swim platform. However, if a cop wanted to write me up I guess they could.

I've got the b3 outdrives, and I know you can get thru hull captain's call exhaust. I didn't order my boat it was on the lot and it didn't have the captain's call option.

The 6.2L with captain's call would be a sweet setup. You might even be pushing 65mph with the 6.2L's
Old 01-16-2004, 04:02 PM
futz991

Originally posted by toolman
Familyman,

I assume you trailer your 280? No problem with the wide beam? Just asking.

Do you have bravo 3's or bravo 1's? I see most have bravo 3's I would guess for a better holeshot.
Also do any 280's have switchable exhaust, or do they all have thru-the-prop exhaust? Be nice to have that little rumble when you want it.

Thanks for your input and have fun with your boat.

Toolman
According to Formula, the only drive available on this boat is the B 3.
http://www.formulaboats.com/sunsport...76&mode=prices

Talking with them about it at the NYC show, they say that with twin 6.2,s that it will run 60+ with no problem. The HIGHLY recommend that you go with twins on it.

The law about towing in NJ is EIGHT feet max, so all of us are illegal. I have no clue why. Its NJ. that about says it all.