Another 311 Stereo Question

Notices
Formula

Another 311 Stereo Question

Old 01-12-2004, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another 311 Stereo Question

Well, I am getting ready to start with the stereo project. Went with a single 6-channel amp, an X-plod head unit with wired remote and (remote?) remote. Would like to hear from anyone that has put speakers in a 311- what locations did you use, what sizes and how many. I can run as many as 12 4Ohm speakers- would llike to stick with 6-8. If you have sub(s) where did you put it (them)? Has anyone had luck with the Bazooka tube or the Bazooka 8-inch?

Let me know . . . I am getting antzy to start tearing stuff up : )
Old 01-12-2004, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm getting ready to do something similar to my 357 and I put a stereo in my dad's 272.

The challenge is not getting good sound inside the boat. That part is easy. But, if you want to really project the sound and be able to hear it in the water you have to get the sound up.

On my dad's 272 we used a 1 nice clear Linear 4 channel amp (55watts/channel RMS if I remember correctly) with 2 6x9 Boston Acoustics (BA) under the rear seat pointing forward (stock location) and we used 2 8" Woofers one in front of the driver and one in front of navigator's seat. Perfect amount room under the dash and since the 272 only has storage on the other side it works great. It sounds great inside the boat. it only projects outside the boat marginally well.

On my 357 I have a bathroom on one side and a refrigerator on the other in the way of where the woofers are mounted on my dad's. I think there's enough room on each side in the storage area (to the side of the driver and passenger seats) for either 8" bazookas or to mount a 12" subs. But, I haven't measured yet. I have been thinking about what to do to project sound up and out of the cockpit and I believe I will fabricate two small boxes (big enough for 6" components) and mount one on each side of the dash to get the sound up. I'm also putting in two 8" two way Marine speakers in the rear.

I would either stick with Marine speakers or Bostons. The high end Bostons (and maybe the low end but I don't buy them so i Deon't check) are not Marine speakers but have a smiliar cinstruction using poly cones, etc. I know the Bostons hold up well. They've been in my dad's boat for about 7 years now and still sound new. Just my preference.

Sorry no pics to show. I would be interested in what you come up with.

Brent
Old 01-14-2004, 08:35 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry been out of town for a bit. Bazookas I have had a LOT of problems with. The best stuff is ussually 2 or 4 subs under the back seat. If you go with two subs under the back seat then go with 6X9 Babbs under there on the outside. If you go with 4 subs then find a place to put the babbs on the sides. Up front I like component speakers as they allow you to be able to put the tweeter up high on the dash. This will help a lot with imaging and getting the sound up off the floor. Hope that helps some

Jon
Old 01-14-2004, 09:41 AM
Registered

Ok . . . I have 4 6.5's for outside- one pair on the gunnel forward (i.e., "stock" location to the side of bolsters) and another pair probably toward the rear. My rear bench is untouched and I hate to lose the storage space . . . but, I may cut it if I can find the right combination. I am concerned about building the appropriate enclosures for subs . . . hence the interest in tubes or some other pre-fabbed set-up. I am going to be able to throw a legitimate 60W rms to the 6.5's so, the "loudness" and "cleanliness" issues will be addressed . . . now, what about that sub question . . .
Old 01-14-2004, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 34 Posts

SeaWeasel

I have a 1991 311 with a killer stereo. It has four 10's under the rear seat along with two 6 1/2. In the stock location by the front seats are two 6 1/2 and in the dash are the components. Pushing the subs is a V12 expert amp and pushing the other speakers and components is a 4 x 100watt alpine. The 6 1/2 all have bass blockers so not to distort them. I would recomend not using the Bazooka products because they do not have a clear sound. I would use JL audio 10 inch subs in a sealed box. This will get you your best sound. I wouild use either sony or boston for the other speakers because they offer great sound and high durability. But this is just my opinon.

Don
Old 01-15-2004, 10:03 AM
Registered

Seaweasel - What brand are the 6.5s?

Don - Where in the dash did you mount the companents? Got a pic? I was looking for a place on the dash of my 357 to mount companents to get the sound up and out of the boat. But, the only solution I could figure was to build a little box and put them in there.

Thanks

Brent
Old 01-15-2004, 03:10 PM
Registered

bford-

The 6.5's are Sony Marine. Sony makes a pair that is around $70 and a pair that is around $150 (both retail). The more expensive ones are good to go- had 4 of them in a 24 Outlaw and 2 Sony Mobile ES aluminum chassis 6x9's in cuddy with big power and they raged- clear as a bell with a lot of volume. For a marine piece they are pretty good.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:24 PM
Registered

I'll have to check out those Sony 6.5s. I was planning on using MB Quartz 6.5 Marine speakers.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 34 Posts

bford1-

MB quartz are as good or better than the sonys or bostons. I didn't know that you were going to spend that kind of money on 6.5s! As for mounting the components it all depends on which componets you buy on how to mount them. If you get the ones that are self contained in a small case you can either mount them directly to the dash or use a small bracket. With the small bracket you can adjust the angle of the speaker. If you mount it to the dash direct you will not be able to.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:39 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info. -

I figured since the 6.5s were going to be up high projecting most of the sound that I ought to buy as good as I can.

Quick Reply: Another 311 Stereo Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.