Vinyl question?

Notices
Formula

Vinyl question?

Old 01-14-2004, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vinyl question?

At the end of last season I got a small rip in the vinyl back on the sunpad. Any advice, or known methods, on repairing this rip? I know I can replace the entire section, but was hoping there was a good method for repairing a rip that is less then 3/4". Thanks
Old 01-15-2004, 05:55 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a rip about an inch long in a white section of vinyl on a 223 I had a while back. Marina did it!!

Anyway, I argued for a whole new section, they balked and asked me to let them try having it "spot fixed" by a vinyl shop. I agreed and was very happy with the results............... at least for the first year. After that the repaired spot started to yellow. It got worse and worse. Sold the boat before getting it fixed correctly. I pointed it out to the buyer and he was like "what, that little spot, looks fine to me". So, he obviously was not as anal as I am.

Point is, it can be done nicely and you really will have a hard time finding the spot. However, through my experience, I question the longevity of spot repairs. Maybe better now though. My repair job was done back in 1993.

It is a lot cheaper, like 30-40 bucks. So it may be the right option for you in the short term.

Good luck.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:07 PM
Registered

Thanks Third Bird! I'll call some of the local vinyl shop and see what is involed with the "spot repair".
Old 01-16-2004, 08:15 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The spot repair can be as good as a totall replacement. The guy I use repaints the entire pannel and he has done a lot of work on Porche's that 5 years later look as good as new. If it is yellowing then they did not use UV protective Paint.

Jon
Old 01-19-2004, 11:58 AM
Registered

Audiofin, thanks for the input. The vinyl is not yellowing at all. The boat is a 1990 272 and looks extremely good for a boat that age. That is one of the big reasons I want to get it fixed properly.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try vlp , I think. Any good hdwe. store should have it . It is used to do spot repairs on vinyl dishwasher racks. I used it on a seat cussion with a small rip once. BBB